↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > I need an alternative to the Parrot Asteroid.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim_NZ

Australia 
I need an alternative to the Parrot Asteroid.....
Hi guys, I'm searching for a replacement for my Parrot (Dis)Asteroid, I really do like a lot of the features of this unit, except for it's catastrophic instability. The main feature I need in it's replacement is voice dialling, this is the one thing the Asteroid does really well.

The short list I have come up with so far is:
Voice dialling
Single DIN (No flip out screen)
iPhone Bluetooth connection
External mic (with good noise cancellation)

Incidentals:
Budget - I'll pay what ever is needed to have something that works
CD player - not fussed
USB/Flash media - would be nice

The concept of the Asteroid is great, it looks great in the defender dash, the voice dialling is excellent, it's easy to use, the sound it produces is a bit poor, but the other features it has makes up for this, (for me anyway). It's just a pity the execution is letting the side down, that and Parrot's inaction.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Post #226303 11th Apr 2013 2:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Tim - perfectly possible but voice dialling I am not so sure on.. Would that be crucial to your decision? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #226311 11th Apr 2013 3:26pm
Tim_NZ

Australia 
Hi Steve, unfortunately the voice dialling is the most important feature for me. For most of my day my car is my office, and it is illegal to even hold a phone whilst driving here.

I've had a look on a few websites, (Kenwood, JVC, etc), but they all seem really vague when it comes to the Bluetooth functionality....

Thanks for the reply,

Tim
Post #226320 11th Apr 2013 3:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I know my HU isn't what your looking for as it's a flip out screen but the dialling pad comes up on-screen. There is also the phone's PhoneBook that downloads automatically too. On newer HU's SMS is supported too I believe.

Click image to enlarge

Sorry I can only give info really on Kenwood kit as I've never had anything else or dealt with anything else.
Forgot to mention there is also an external mic too. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #226326 11th Apr 2013 3:51pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I gave up with my Parrot Asteroid as it was a pile of crap (replaced 3 times) and went back to the standard stereo.

As I also like the Parrot technology I bought a separate Parrot unit that works independently but still offers the benefits of voice dialling and iPhone phone list integration.

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/plug-n-play-car-kits/ John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #226340 11th Apr 2013 4:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Parrot seems to be very popular too. Only downside is that it's stand-alone and also has a ton of wiring to fit into the back. Well what I have seen did.. Equally seem to work well though. Smile Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #226348 11th Apr 2013 4:39pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If your handset supports voice dialling, then a Bluetooth headunit should be able to support it.

I have a Sony BT Headunit and a Galaxy S3 (Android), any of the voice stuff works via the BT connection to the headunit.

Of course, I have to activate the voice commands, but the phone is in a cradle and it's the control and not the head unit. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #226352 11th Apr 2013 4:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm a little confused here. When mentioning voice dialling are we talking having a convocation via the HU / BT system or voice dial commanded? I.e. speak to the unit and it dials the number for you? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #226359 11th Apr 2013 5:10pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
For me, I'm talking about talking to my handset via the BT connection. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #226361 11th Apr 2013 5:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yep, So phone BT connected the the HU / HU BT system so the dialling is though the HU and speech via the BT unit's Mic and sound via the speaker system. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #226365 11th Apr 2013 5:26pm
jimhcatlover

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I have a Parrot CK3100 which interfaces with the HU. It was working with the original LR system but I have now replaced that with a Kenwood (thanks Steve Bow down ).
Anyway it doesn't matter what HU as the system just connects via the ISO plugs at the back. Mine has a small LCD screen with a scroll wheel and two buttons (red & green phone buttons) it supports voice dialing if you train it but I just use the scroll wheel and buttons. Mine has the microphone on the A post and it is fine to use at motorway speeds. The loom is quite long on mine and the main electronics box fits down behind the dash in the passenger foot-well, this is easy to get at through the hatch under the parcel shelf.
The system connects to your phone as soon as you pair up the BT. Mine has worked fine from when I got the car and this was the reason I kept it rather than replacing it with the Kenwood BT unit when I changed the HU. I really like the simplicity of the Parrot control box which is mounted on the dash air vent and within easy reach.
Post #226366 11th Apr 2013 5:31pm
Busboy

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Parriott Astroid
After 6 months, many reboots and finally the unit freezing i chucked it back to the place of purchase Mad Mad they insisted that it was sent back for repair......... one week later a new unit arrived Thumbs Up no explanation of what was wrong with the other one...... so two weeks later and another 7 reboots and a freeze up, i went back and without asking they said i can get a credit note and pick another brand so now looking at a Clarion NZ502E......
need to get a good price though Bow down Bow down Steve
Post #226370 11th Apr 2013 5:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
jimhcatlover wrote:
Mine has the microphone on the A post and it is fine to use at motorway speeds.

Jim - Guess where I mounted the mic on mine too. Laughing Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #226373 11th Apr 2013 5:44pm
jimhcatlover

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I saw you mentioned mounting it on the mirror.
I thought mine would pick up too much wind noise where it is on the A post but people I have phoned say it is fine Thumbs Up
Post #226379 11th Apr 2013 5:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yep, I tested mine there too and all good. What put me off the rear view was not so much getting the mic wire up there but actually getting it down to the mirror top itself and routing the cable neatly and I realised whatever way you tried it it would be on view from either inside or outside along with cable ties holding it on too. Not really ideal IMO. If the mirror support would have been hollow then it would have been okay but it isn't. Nice and un-obtrusive above the A pillar anyway.
Very Happy Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #226381 11th Apr 2013 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>