↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Africa > Puma 2.4TDCI and 2.2TDCI Gearbox oils.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Peter-S

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
Puma 2.4TDCI and 2.2TDCI Gearbox oils.
Hi Guys,

I'm not an oil fundi but thought I would share some of my latest findings with you.

2010 2.4TD gearbox oil, Castrol BOT 130 M. Capacity 2.2L.
The LR dealers in RSA recently supplied me with Castrol Manual BOT 328 for the gearbox, this is probably a replacement or an upgrade to the 130 M.

When searching the Castrol websites I couldn't find anything concerning Castrol BOT oil but did come up with their recommendations for the LR 2.4 and 2.2 gearbox oils which are as follows.

2.4TD, Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90, 2.2L capacity.

2.2TD, Syntrans Universal Plus 75W-90, 2.4L capacity.

These two Syntrans and BOT oils are probably exactly the same or the latter might be a slight improvement, perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable on this topic could elaborate.

What is most interesting is the oil capacity between the 2.4TD and 2.2TD which has been increased to 2.4L. this will in all likely-hood bring the oil level up to the level of the filler plug. (A gearbox upgrade in disguise) Very Happy

Your thoughts or findings would be of great value.

Thanks
Peter
Post #227187 14th Apr 2013 4:48pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
That's interesting! I did read a chap on this forum topped-up his 2.4 gearbox to the level plug, and had a positive effect on gearchange smoothness... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #228103 17th Apr 2013 11:23am
macduff

United Kingdom 
MartinK wrote:
That's interesting! I did read a chap on this forum topped-up his 2.4 gearbox to the level plug, and had a positive effect on gearchange smoothness...

Probably just the fresh oil rather than the level as the gearbox and service manuals strongly state don't fill to the plug level as it will leak out the seals. Fresh oil in my to the 2.2 l refill amount has massively improved the shift and reduced the noise levels , though I can now hear the flywheel chattering slightly :/
Ps 2.4l is I believe the amount needed for a fresh fill (from rebuild/new) and 2.2l the amount needed for drain/refill whilst in service 2023 110 P400e
Post #228112 17th Apr 2013 11:52am
Peter-S

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
After draining my oil and topping up with the correct amount I have definitely noticed an improvement in shifting gears but the clonking and clattering noise became far more pronounced once the gearbox got hot.

Today I have topped the gearbox up to the filler plug level and have taken a long test drive, gear shifting is the best its ever been and the clonking and clattering is far less than ever before, even disengaging reverse gear is a lot easier.

I decided that if I could drain almost 5L of oil out of the box last week then an extra 300ml shouldn't cause any harm considering that the box had already done 32000 km without any leaks.

I'll post an update next week and let you know how its going. Thumbs Up
Post #229120 20th Apr 2013 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1