Home > Technical > Low Range Use
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RNBS

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Low Range Use
Evening,

I've been advised to use low range once a week, apparently Land Rover advise use once a month to keep it in good shape, just wondered what is the advice from you guys.
Post #225555 8th Apr 2013 8:52pm
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
As often as you dare! joking side, once a week would be a good idea, it keeps linkages from seizing when you really need low range, and gets the oil all round the box.
Post #225556 8th Apr 2013 8:54pm
Defpuma

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have always put it into low range at least once a month to make sure it still works. Don't really have a call to use it that often when out and about. Only ever used low range when stuck in deep mud or snow in the field by the gate and that was only for about 10 foot then back into normal again. Trying it more often is probably a good idea and wouldn't hurt.
Post #225559 8th Apr 2013 8:57pm
RNBS

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Thanks Appaloosadude, tried it each day since I was advised, definitely gets easier each time.

While stationary, select third, into neutral between high and low, then ease into low. To get back to high, double de-clutch, on the move - sound OK?
Post #225565 8th Apr 2013 9:03pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I do it usually once a month. Drop it into low box and gently run up through the gears and back down. I also knock the diff lock in and out a few times in both ranges. In my experience the diff lock actuator is more likely to seize up than the transfer box shifter. Just make sure it's back in high range properly before heading back out on the open road. Was towing with my uncles 90 the other day and it jumped out of high box on me, fortunately was only doing 30 and was immediately before a layby, but it's not ideal! 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #225567 8th Apr 2013 9:07pm
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
I tend not to bother with the moving upshift from low to high. I just stop and 'feed' it in with careful clutch movement.
Post #225570 8th Apr 2013 9:10pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
appaloosadude wrote:
As often as you dare! joking side, once a week would be a good idea, it keeps linkages from seizing when you really need low range, and gets the oil all round the box.

Shouldn't make the slightest difference to the internals, since the same parts rotate in both H and L. There may be some merit re. the linkage though.

It certainly won't do any harm but is not necessary. Use it when you need it, and lube the linkages occasionally.
Post #225572 8th Apr 2013 9:12pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
the linkages do take a while to seize up. couple of years at least i would of thought.

Gears are all lubricated anyway so no need from that perspective.

it cant hurt though. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #225578 8th Apr 2013 9:27pm
jst

RNBS wrote:
While stationary, select third,

any gear will do on main gbox.

that way you can use the clutch to help align the boxes if needs be. engine running obviously. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #225579 8th Apr 2013 9:29pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
In 18 months I've only put it into low once and had trouble getting it back to high without it hopping into neutral. Not doing that again. In fact reading this thread I'm too scared now anyway !
Post #225945 9th Apr 2013 10:21pm
udderlyoffroad

United Kingdom 
rossy wrote:
In 18 months I've only put it into low once and had trouble getting it back to high without it hopping into neutral. Not doing that again. In fact reading this thread I'm too scared now anyway !

Better to find out now than when you actually need it!

Anyway, if your truck is an 11, it's still in warranty? Real trucks don't have spark plugs
Post #225966 9th Apr 2013 11:14pm
Phil_C

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I will select low ratio once a month or so if it hasn't been used off road - I have always found it helps to keep the linkage and selection easier. I will however select diff lock more often and about once a week or so will select diff lock from both stationary and on the move. I have found this really helps with keeping things moving.

I used to do the same with my TD5 Disco - but with that one if I didn't the diff lock very quickly became stiff and hard to select. - P 2000 TD5 Disco II, front and rear winches, 2" lift, ARB bumper etc.etc. --
2010 TDCi Puma 90 HT - Bulkhead removal kit, Ashcroft front and rear lockers, Andersons front and rear, Warn XD9000i winch, battery split charge system, Patriot full roof rack. OME Suspension.
2013 Freelander II GS - Factory standard
Post #225975 10th Apr 2013 12:22am
jst

Phil_C wrote:
I will select low ratio once a month or so if it hasn't been used off road

not meaning to nick pick but

low range and off road or limited traction surfaces are not directly linked. low range is anything for low speed control,

pulling away with a heavy load, reversing a trailer, parking on a slope etc etc, its not traction related.

diff lock is for anything where there is a risk of losing traction, its not speed related.

Rossy - if you follow the LRE guidelines, posted on here quite a few times it will always go between high and low no problem. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #225984 10th Apr 2013 6:51am
Phil_C

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Hi JST - no problem with nit picking at all, I know low range is to do with torque and control not traction on loose surfaces.

I was trying to make the point that the gear linkage for low to high also benefits from occasional use. I run a fleet of eight defenders where I work in the middle east and these are extensively used off road in very difficult sandy and rocky environments. From experience if one hasn't been used in low range for any period of time we can have problems with selection/change from low to high range.

There can be a tendency for the lever to not fully engage which can lead to the lever jumping out of low or high range under load. It is sometimes necessary to gently push the lever towards low or high range whilst pulling away and waiting for the linkage to 'drop' the last half inch or so into position. No matter how many times we remind drivers to do this and check it is not uncommon to get that 'clunk' and loss of drive caused by the range slipping out into neutral.

The eight are all 2.4 TDCi Pumas - six station wagons and two twin cab pickups, regularly serviced and maintained and most of them exhibit this tendency.

P 2000 TD5 Disco II, front and rear winches, 2" lift, ARB bumper etc.etc. --
2010 TDCi Puma 90 HT - Bulkhead removal kit, Ashcroft front and rear lockers, Andersons front and rear, Warn XD9000i winch, battery split charge system, Patriot full roof rack. OME Suspension.
2013 Freelander II GS - Factory standard
Post #226016 10th Apr 2013 10:02am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Phil_C wrote:
I used to do the same with my TD5 Disco - but with that one if I didn't the diff lock very quickly became stiff and hard to select. - P

You were lucky to have a difflock on a TD5 D2 ! I had to retrofit the internals and linkages on mine.

Omitting the lock was not LR's best decision in my view, though doubtless it made economic and commercial sense at the time.
Post #226022 10th Apr 2013 10:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>