↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Suppose I had it coming
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
steve E

Wales 
Hey Bob
Is it as simple as undoing and putting new ones on.
Dealers today told me of tales of woe about lining up an damaged paint etc when I said I'm doing it myself Laughing
And the ones you bought obviously you would recommend.

Steve
Post #225849 9th Apr 2013 6:09pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Hi Steve

Did the 110 with the Croytec blocks and the TD5 with new LR blocks and never had issues with damaged paint.

If I remember correctly, the Croytec blocks are slightly wider than the originals as well.

If you are careful, and LR have not used any sealer, very unlikely Rolling with laughter , you can remove the old blocks by undoing the three bolts and reuse the gaskets under them. I have a spare set of gaskets to hand just in case but have never had to use them.

You may need an extra pair of hands available as when I did the 110 the roof sprung a few mm's and made it difficult to line the bolts back up. SWHMBO came to the rescue and used all of her massive 8 stone bulk Shocked to pull the roof back down. I didn't have that problem on the 90 and I think the issue on the 110 was probably caused by the roof bolts above the screen not being done up correctly.

The Croytec blocks are excellent, expensive but, in my opinion, well worth the money Thumbs Up

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #225851 9th Apr 2013 6:21pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Over the last years, I've come to the sad conclusion that Defender build "quality" is now down solely to the owner's efforts. I hope to get through the end of my warranty period as painlessly as possible and then re-build the thing, one failed part at a time. These will include having the windscreen frame replaced/modified by a local company (hence my "I don't care if it leaks" attitude) all hinges/bolts in ss, X-Brake (already bought) autobox etc. etc.

I am very, VERY disappointed with its "parents" (LR) but I don't blame the Defender itself (I don't believe in original sin) - I will love it anyway until one of us dies... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #225855 9th Apr 2013 6:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123