↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Any thoughts on PIONEER AVH-X3500DAB as a new head unit ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jont

2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Santorini Black
Any thoughts on PIONEER AVH-X3500DAB as a new head unit ?
Seems to tick all the buttons for me with DAB+, iPhone and Bluetooth and only 299 ...

Granted need to work out how to modify the td5 centre on ole to take a double-DIN but seems to be room ... anyone know of a faceplate mod ?

Thanks

Jon
Post #223131 29th Mar 2013 10:34am
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Have a look on East Coast Rovers website. They have fitted a few double din head units to TD5 dashs
Post #223132 29th Mar 2013 10:46am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Why go double DIN? They can be a PITA to fit nicely and securely and even then that depends on the angle they are fitted at. Okay for some cars with a sloping dash but in a Defender the dash is as vertical as a cliff and not very user friendly with the drivers line of eyesight in particular while driving and in bright sun or a combination of both I'd imagine forget being able to see it at all. Just my opinion anyway.

Shouldn't go far wrong with Pioneer though one of the better premium makes lout there. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #223141 29th Mar 2013 11:23am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Re: Any thoughts on PIONEER AVH-X3500DAB as a new head unit
jont wrote:
Seems to tick all the buttons for me with DAB+, iPhone and Bluetooth and only 299 ...

Granted need to work out how to modify the td5 centre on ole to take a double-DIN but seems to be room ... anyone know of a faceplate mod ?

Thanks

Jon

Mud do an adapter plate that allows extra carling switches, extra gauges or CB to be fitted. It dose involve a bit of butchery to existing console but should do the job. About 20 IIRC. Its on there web shop. Double din will be different and good Thumbs Up . As regards Pioneer. well...... for the purists there has been this argument for years - Pioneer or Alpine, Alpine or Pioneer. You won't regret it. Sound quality will be excellent, and they have a reputation for being relatively simple to set up and use Thumbs Up Your not too far from me PM me if you would like some help/moral support Thumbs Up
Post #223157 29th Mar 2013 12:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Re: Any thoughts on PIONEER AVH-X3500DAB as a new head unit
barbel jim wrote:
As regards Pioneer. well...... for the purists there has been this argument for years - Pioneer or Alpine, Alpine or Pioneer.

Pioneer. Whistle Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #223165 29th Mar 2013 1:30pm
chadjizz

England 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Orkney Grey
custom90steve wrote:
Why go double DIN?:

because

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

they are quality. no stupid flimsy fold out screen.
completely accessible and very good (not being a sloping dash means you actually get no annoying reflections) view with my pioneer, i am sure it might be a problem with different makes which have poor quality screens. Touch screen is very responsive and fast.

Not a pain to fit, took phil (the guy that made the centre console for me) and I 2 hours to fit including the microphone and gps antenna, relocating the hazzard and the cig lighter.

Double dins have all the tech built in with no annoying boxes you have to find homes for (well my pioneer doesn't). built in - parrot Bluetooth, loaded Europe maps with traffic updates on your route, multiple route options, speed camera warnings, full ipod control, stream music via Bluetooth, all your contacts from your phone. The list goes on!

YES any pioneer products are quality. Sound quality is unbelievable. I have been using them since I first started driving with a pioneer d3 in my focus, f900bt in my fiesta, pioneer x3bt single din in my first tdci puma and now this pioneer f920bt in my 130.
I would never have anything different.

(p.s. custom90steve i will argue against your double din view all day, week, year, sorry mate)
Post #223301 29th Mar 2013 9:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
chadjizz wrote:

(p.s. custom90steve i will argue against your double din view all day, week, year, sorry mate)

Maybe so but there is no "better" of the two as both work and both ultimately do the same job. Also Single DIN screens are not flimsy unless you go for a Chinese cheap thing. That I can guarantee. Personally myself I don't like double din on a Defender simply because it's not factory integrated from the factory. I.e. I can't stand the idea of the switches and so on to the side as most are as the original idea behind the 2007> Defender dash re-vamp was to centralise all the controls into one area ... The centre dash. The double DIN units change that again. Again as with any mod everyone has their likes and dislikes.

There is no need to scorn other peoples mods just because it does not match your own. I simply said why go Double DIN I did not say they are rubbish single DIN is better did I. Yes, double DIN does have most things in-built but it's also bigger twice the size.

Either way I see your comments as a slight derogatory dig at flip out units due to the common "What I have is better" argument which I did not intentionally start nor instigate. So on this one we will have to agree to dis-agree. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #223307 29th Mar 2013 9:59pm
chadjizz

England 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Orkney Grey
fair play pal. i love mine. feels and looks factory, the cig lighter is on the grab hold dash bit which works well with charging phones etc. everything else is still on the centre console.

sorry did not mean to have a whos got a bigger willy argument, i just got over excited.
Post #223314 29th Mar 2013 10:15pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
First Puma 110 in 2007, i fitted a single din Pioneer Avh, pop out screen worked fine, and took a beating on the washboard roads of Morocco, etc

For the 2009 version,, when for a double din Pioneer, again no problem,, bar the screen was too upright and fixed, plus moving the top switches,, (Station wagon has a few more to move !!)

Gone back to the single din unit, again Pioneer for the current 110, , plus i prefer the screen being 3/4" higher up, and being able to adjust the tilt angle California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #223316 29th Mar 2013 10:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
No problem, I don't want to argue or cause any bad feeling. Thumbs Up I too like mine a lot and hey both are better than LR fitted originally! Rolling with laughter Mine never even originally had the luxurious 3.5mm input jack. Rolling with laughter
Personally for myself mine suits me perfectly as I'm sure yours does you. I prefer mine having the extra control unit behind the seats as it's easy access to plugs and so on for my amp in a similar location. Equal to that mine is a little old now compared to many of which is all self contained such as the 526 mentioned on another thread. There can also be some features that some people will use and will not use so there's difference in all units and owners. Partly why most find it difficult to choose I think. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #223317 29th Mar 2013 10:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
chadjizz wrote:

Also forgot to mention to be fair to you.. Yours is one of the best one's I have seen many many I've seen are not anywhere near as decent and I certainly am not keen on the switches positioned to the side. (Unless for different uses added on such as lockers or Temp gauge. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #223319 29th Mar 2013 10:25pm
marc r

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
I like the double din look and have a pioneer which was in my previous car waiting to go. Was the facia a one off as I'll be needing one of those when my defender arrives. Nowt like forward planning Very Happy Defender 110 xs Utility
B8 RS4
Bright orange exige
Post #223329 29th Mar 2013 10:45pm
jont

2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Santorini Black
Jeremy wrote:
Have a look on East Coast Rovers website. They have fitted a few double din head units to TD5 dashs

Is that the American site ?
Post #223341 29th Mar 2013 11:54pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
jont wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Is that the American site ?

Yup!
Post #223359 30th Mar 2013 7:22am
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Post #223360 30th Mar 2013 7:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>