↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Which roof tent ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
We checked out HM, Hannibal, Eezi Awn, MyWay and the ARB Simpson at an extremely wet Billing. The HM one was the driest - ie. it wasn't wet at all, whereas the others all seemed to have some degree of ingress. The Hanibal with the fly sheet extension was actually one of the worst, so although it had been on our top 3 list it got crossed off. To be fair, may have been the way it was pitched.

In the end, we went the Howling Moon Stargazer tourer with annexe room, which cost best part of £2K.

All the top models do occasionally come up on Ebay, so a bargain may be had if you are willing to wait and keep everything crossed you post the winning bid!

The HM's are imported by Trek Overland and they can take a while to come in, so you could have extra time to save the pennies!

Here it our tent on my 90. As you can see, we carry it on a full external expedition cage. We decided to spend the extra to get a safety feature for our planned tour of Outback Australia, but of course the cage also functions as a roof rack! So far we've only been away in it for a few nights, but we love it! Been in high winds and rain storms, with no major issues.

Click image to enlarge
 Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #218229 12th Mar 2013 1:53am
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
My advice would be to go for a decent second hand one. I had a howling moon, have used a eezi awn in Namibia (howling moon better quality) and now have a Maggiolina which I bought second hand off this site. Be patient, if you have the cash and are willing to wait, one will certainly appear on here.

Click image to enlarge
Post #218485 12th Mar 2013 9:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Another vote for Howling Moon. Had a Hannibal but not in the same league in quality and design. Go to a large show and try them all out.

We did a trip with a couple who had a cheap copy tent. They could not see why we had spent so much more on a Howling Moon....that was until the first storm!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #218562 13th Mar 2013 8:44am
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Re: Which roof tent ?
Ridgeback defender wrote:
HELP !!! I am lost in the miriad of ' Land Rover Roof tents '. I have a defender 90 which I shall be dressing up in a 2.0m Patriot mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................... I have approx £1000.00 to spend on a roof tent, and I want an under awning for my 2 beloved (but slightly mad) Ridgebacks to sleep in. Which one, any recommendations......................

If you decide on the eezi awn route we have one with a rear awning that could be up for grabs as we have brought a globemaster trailer.
Pm me if you are interested.

Cc
Post #229043 20th Apr 2013 7:00am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If you have never had or used one before and you want to keep within your budget you would be best on sticking with the three well known ones. Howling Moon, Eezi-Awn & Hannibal. Don't buy new(obviously over the budget), but be patient and keep looking on EBay for a second hand one to come up. Don't go down the cheap route as it will cost you dearly in the end and may just put you off RT's all together.

If you do manage to find a good one and it is of the three above you will more than likely have a cracking tent. Plus, as everyone knows of these three it will be very easy to resell if you decided to. In the long run it will cost you less than a cheap one and may even make you some money.

As an example a 12mth Eezi-Awn 1.4 T-Top with complete under room, extras and receipts went on EBay for £780.00.

I got a Howling Moon 1.2 with under room(plus an extra one) and other extras for £600.00. When I picked it up it looked like new. It's still going strong, but I will be selling it soon to get a new larger one. It has suited its purpose very well as I didn't want to spend £2,500.00 on a RTT to find I didn't like it.

Good deals are to be had on there if you look carefully and be patient.
Post #229074 20th Apr 2013 10:25am
pjh

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Hello All,

We've got down both routes. A new Maggiolina for the truck, which is fabulous and supported on roof bars. This was supplied and fitted by Brendan, who gave us lots of excellent advice.

Having been so pleased with the roof tent, I bought a second hand (eBay) Eezi Awn for our camping trailer - which was a bit of a bargain, had been really well looked after and was exactly what I need for my son.

So, with your budget, I'd recommend a good second hand branded one.

All the best,

Peter Defender 11MY USW
Post #229308 21st Apr 2013 11:31am
drive4change

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 130 200 Tdi HCPU Alpine White
I had a howling moon RTT on my 90 which I bought from Claire at Trek Overland. Excellent service and excellent tent. Far better quality and construction in my opinion than Hanibal.

I am looking for a maggiolina ATM but certainly not at new prices. As has been stated before, if you can, sit back and wait. They do come up every so often, and often in very good shape as have only been used a few times.m

Good luck. Thumbs Up www.drive4change.co.uk
Post #229312 21st Apr 2013 11:39am
rover

United Kingdom 
I used to have a maggioline.

Pros -excellent piece of kit, far more suited to the wet and windy climate of north europe compared to the South African types. Up in 60 seconds, down and packed away in a few minutes, comfy if you are not exceptionaly tall or wide, and completetly water proof even in an Alpine storm with driving wind and rain. The hard top makes a huge difference in bad weather and they are a lot more aerodynamic than the other types.

Cons - expensive, maybe to some people they dont look hard core adventurer enough.
Post #229590 22nd Apr 2013 12:30pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Another for the maggie

Closed

Click image to enlarge

Open a minute later

Click image to enlarge

Suits me well,, as 85% of the time just me,, only reason i would change it, is to buy another new one

Just been fitted now, for a trip leaving at the weekend for Croatia California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #229599 22nd Apr 2013 1:09pm
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
What worries me is who is looking after the lambs while mark is tanning his legs in that picture....thought there was no holidays or rest for a farmer. Shocked ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #229609 22nd Apr 2013 1:27pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
I'm racking my brains to remember where that second picture was taken (and I do not ussually forget a place). I think it was in Portugal on the excursion we made coming back from Morocco the last time we went out. We pitched up there late at night as the WRC was coming through twice the next day on a track about 10 metres away. IIRC we ended up spending the day with a group of locals who bought a huge BBQ and a MASSIVE fridge full of beer. A good day. The first picture was on this summers' trip to the Alps when we spent a night on top of the San Bernadino Pass.

And in answer to your question Steve, my good lady wife was looking after the sheep. I expect you will meet her when you come down for the Summer Adventure. She will be preparing the cakes and salads to go with BBQ (assuming any of my lambs decide to grow big enough to roast by then!) Very Happy
Post #229707 22nd Apr 2013 8:15pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Mountain_man wrote:
I think it was in Portugal on the excursion we made coming back from Morocco the last time we went out.

Correct,, the locals begged us for help, to finish off there BBQ and beer,, the route to the stage was the best offroading we have ever found in Portugal Thumbs Up California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #229714 22nd Apr 2013 8:26pm
Guy

United Kingdom 
drive4change wrote:
I had a howling moon RTT on my 90 which I bought from Claire at Trek Overland. Excellent service and excellent tent. Far better quality and construction in my opinion than Hanibal.

I am looking for a maggiolina ATM but certainly not at new prices. As has been stated before, if you can, sit back and wait. They do come up every so often, and often in very good shape as have only been used a few times.m

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Hello mate. Just spotted a Maggie for sale om another forum and remembered reading your post. Want me to put you in touch with the guy?

I don't know him and have no commercial gain here - just keen to help one Land Rover fan by introducing him to another!

Here is his post:

Hi, I have for sale my Maggiolina Roof Tent. Its the Safari Small (2 adult) model with two side doors and windows each end. Its complete with the original ladder and two winding handles. Its in pretty good order and I am looking for around £750.00 for it but of course open to an offer. The current price is approx £1900. It would have to be collected from near Romsey.

Let me know if I can assist...

Cheers, Guy 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #229746 22nd Apr 2013 9:47pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Maggiolina kept us warm in Nordkapp in Feb 2013 - had to insulate it a little though, but first class tent.
Post #229792 23rd Apr 2013 8:01am
Cracka

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Pam W wrote:

Click image to enlarge

G'day Pam W,

Well your post was one of my deciding factors in buying a Howling Moon 1.4 stargazer with extension just as yours Very Happy It was a toss up between the Hannibal and this, but your because of your post and I liked a few things with the HM over the Hannibal.

Now I' just deciding about racks between Patriot and Hannibal, Rolling Eyes more decisions.

The reason for my post is my other decision is which way to mount the tent whether over the back or off to the side. I also have the 2.5m safari awing coming from HM.

My concern and question for you is (having the tent open over the back) when you have the extension (annex) setup, with the wall against the back door, do you just zip it up to the underside of the car so you can access the back. When you do need it all closed up (you may not even do this) all zip closed that is, does the rear wheel on the door impact much upon that wall. I'm just wondering whether it can be zipped all the way closed without causing issues to the annex.

Thanks

Mick
Post #232211 2nd May 2013 11:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>