↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Diesel knock at constant speed...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
puma 90

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Diesel knock at constant speed...
...evening to all...
I'm new on this forum, decided to join since I would like to learn more about my car and would like to share some experiences.
Shocked

I live in Africa Thumbs Up , cool, nice, except we have sh...tttt fuel Big Cry

Ok, what is the issue
When I accelerate whit my car till, for example 4th gear the engine sound is normal, lots of power and torque, nothing wrong. But let's say you stay in 4th gear, take you foot of the accelerator, slow down, keep your rpm between 1500 and 2000, do not give extra throttle, keep the speed constant and then give very, verrrry little throttle and I hear my engine making the noise/sound of an old diesel, nocking diesel Sad If I accelerate suddenly, the sound is normal, it's only when you give gently throttle.....
If I do the same in stationary, everything is ok...

Can someone advise or help me Bow down

My common rail is replaced a few weeks ago, high pressure pump few months ago
Can it be the injectors????? Shocked

Last edited by puma 90 on 3rd Oct 2009 8:11am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #16185 2nd Oct 2009 8:51pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Hi and welcome puma90,
Not sure what your problem is but someone on here will Thumbs Up
maybe you need the new soft ware update q068v2 NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #16188 2nd Oct 2009 9:04pm
puma 90

don't think it is the update....went on holiday and after coming back, drove 5000Km, the noise was much much stornger then before we left for the holiday... Maybe software update can help, but I have the feeling the fuel system is not like it should be?
Whistle
Post #16192 2nd Oct 2009 9:22pm
fekete

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to take it for a test drive with you
tell them your not happy and worried about breaking down.
it could be Censored in the fuel NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY

Last edited by fekete on 3rd Oct 2009 12:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #16197 2nd Oct 2009 9:31pm
puma 90

they made a test drive this week, but whitout me... Confused
collected my car today, have full believe in the dealer, they did/do a great job, no complains, but this issue seems to be something difficult. Maybe I'm wrong.... Question Anyway, will go back to them beginning of November, have to drive almost 400Km to South Africa..it's worth, but not every week Wink

Go to bed, collected my car today, drove 10hours....

Chat later Thumbs Up
Post #16200 2nd Oct 2009 9:41pm
fekete

I hope you sort it puma90 Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #16201 2nd Oct 2009 9:44pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Hi puma 90
I noticed a while ago that my engine does this as well. Sticking to a low rev, constant speed with a very very light throttle the sound coming from the engine is a little rough. Then with a tiny bit more throttle it runs nice and smooth. I'm not overly worried about it but i'll check with the dealer at the next service. Up until now my engine has been faultless. 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #16218 3rd Oct 2009 2:44am
puma 90

Morning parktag
Indeed, that's it!!! Very Happy Happy to find someone who recognizes, how many milage do you have?

My engine started to make the funny noise when I had 15000Km, then one morning incredible noise/knocking Banging Head and the engine stopped running: replacement of high pressure pump.
After the replacement, everything looked ok, but not perfect. I changed dealer, from Botswana to Johannesburg.
At around 25000Km, the problem, let's call it, "low rpm and little throttle" started. After doing "the diagnostics" via the ecu at the dealer they noticed a small pressure fluctuation in the common rail: common rail replaced. The diagnostics program did not give an error, but the dealer was not happy with the pressure fluctuations.
After the replacement, sound was better than ever!!
Today, the noise is much more prone then before but you need to know at which rpm you have to look. Big Cry
I will be at the dealer first week of november, latest first week of december, will have a look with them together, they didn't noticed anything wrong last week.
There is a knocking noise, they admit, but they tell me, like many dealers in Africa, the noise is because of poor diesel quality in Africa.... I cannot believe this, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover Sports, VW, Audi and all kind of diesels do run fine, why not LR?? Censored

As soon as I have news about it from my dealer Bow down I will let everyone know Milestone
Post #16221 3rd Oct 2009 7:28am
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Is it a kind of thack, thack, thack noise? I get this occasionally when driving for the last two weeks and also when I turn the engine off. The dealer I last went to thought it may be related to the electronic waste gate on the turbo. They couldn't find anything else. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #16222 3rd Oct 2009 8:35am
puma 90

hi dm td5,
yes it does a kind of thack, thack noise but only at rpm between 1500 and 2000, contstant speed and then you have to give very gently a bit of throttle. When you accelerate suddenly everything sounds perfect normal.
When I switch of the engine everything is normal,no thacking noises...

I suspect one of the injectors is faulty...
Post #16224 3rd Oct 2009 9:31am
Cannonball

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Had a similar issue since new but maybe not so severe. Had software patch Q062v2 installed yesterday resulting in much reduced "knocking" between 1500-2000rpm as you describe, smoother mid range driving and a general improvement in driveability. More than pleased with the overall result.

Hopefully it will sort your problem.
Post #16229 3rd Oct 2009 12:20pm
puma 90

Hi Cannonbal

...hmmmm....will call my dealer tomorrow and check if they did the update with my car last week Question

Still, it stays a bit funny he, why the engine sounds perfect when brand new and after 30000 km, 35000km today the engine sounds different... Rolling Eyes

I love the car, the way it drives and it's performance, but the fuel system reallllly sucks Censored according to my experience..

Maybe I should make a campfire and offer a sacrifice, ie a few cruisers Rolling with laughter to the Defender holly spirits Bow down
Post #16232 3rd Oct 2009 2:28pm
Chuggaboom

United Kingdom 
Hi Puma90
I have a similar issue, its booked into the dealers this week i'll post the info when they look at it.
Post #16239 3rd Oct 2009 6:36pm
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hi All,
I drove down from Bilbao (Spain) through to Gibraltar and took 10 hours. The truck went like a dream and returning 32 mpg even through torrential rain in the north of Spain!
The reason I mention this is that not all comments on Defender 2.net are about complaints.
A great drive was had and looking forward to crossing the 'straits of Gibraltar' to Morocco for a fun drive in the autumn.
Come on guys - the Pume is great as not everyone has problems and unusual noises. May be we are a bit over sensitive as to the running of the vehicle.
Drive and enjoy!
Temperature in this part of the world (Gibraltar) 26-30 degrees. I gather you are all wet and cold in UK
Regards to all,
jlerra
'El Pepe Flamenco' Laughing JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #16258 4th Oct 2009 3:46pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
jlerra wrote:
Hi All,
I drove down from Bilbao (Spain) through to Gibraltar and took 10 hours. The truck went like a dream and returning 32 mpg even through torrential rain in the north of Spain!
The reason I mention this is that not all comments on Defender 2.net are about complaints.
A great drive was had and looking forward to crossing the 'straits of Gibraltar' to Morocco for a fun drive in the autumn.
Come on guys - the Pume is great as not everyone has problems and unusual noises. May be we are a bit over sensitive as to the running of the vehicle.
Drive and enjoy!
Temperature in this part of the world (Gibraltar) 26-30 degrees. I gather you are all wet and cold in UK
Regards to all,
jlerra
'El Pepe Flamenco' Laughing

Slightly off topic, JLerra, have you heard of the Gibraltar 4x4 club? <----- clicky

We're a friendly bunch of wierdo's! Mr. Green Mr. Green
Post #16259 4th Oct 2009 4:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>