↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Help with Spluttering TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Help with Spluttering TD5
This is the second time i've had her out and i've noticed when driving normally she is perfect but under heavy acceleration she splutters, i have accelerated through the splutter on gears 3rd an 4th it then goes away for the duration of the journey and returns at next start up.

i was wondering if it was maybe my waste gate solenoid?

Thanks in advance..
Post #215634 2nd Mar 2013 9:52pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The wastegate on your turbo is mechanically actuated, there is no solenoid of the defender td5 like on the discovery. Problems with the wastegate would more likely cause a cut out or sudden drop in power.

Spluttering is more likely the injector loom. Pull the red plug from your ECU and look for traces of oil first.
Post #215641 2nd Mar 2013 10:01pm
ttuck3r

Thank you, ive checked an cleaned the red plug under the driver seat which did have oil in side is there another one to locate and clean?
Post #215645 2nd Mar 2013 10:09pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
There is only one red plug. Oil at the plug means a new injector harness. Not a hard job to do. Estimate 45-60mins 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #215647 2nd Mar 2013 10:12pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Ditto the injector harness,when you have changed it you will need to clean the red plug out a couple of times afterwards to get rid of the residue that finds its way through. A nice easy fix and cheap too. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #215652 2nd Mar 2013 10:23pm
me@td5.org

A new injector harness will cost you about £30 for OEM to £50 for a Genuine one. It often makes sense to get a new rocker gasket on their when your doing the job (£5+).

You need to remover the acoustic cover then the 11 bolts fastening down the cover, disconnect the plugs from the injectors, then the one from the loom. SImply swap and refit.

Then as mentioned above keep removing the red plug and clear every week or so until the oil in the main loom ins cleared.
Post #215661 2nd Mar 2013 10:54pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
You don't have to replace the injector harness. Clean the plug fully with electrical contact cleaner. Then Pack connector fully with electrical/silicon grease. This will keep the oil out.

Cheers

Steve
Post #215663 2nd Mar 2013 11:01pm
ttuck3r

Thanks Guys thats great i will get on to that as soon as i get a day off and report back. Thumbs Up
Post #215673 2nd Mar 2013 11:37pm
me@td5.org

SteveG wrote:
You don't have to replace the injector harness. Clean the plug fully with electrical contact cleaner. Then Pack connector fully with electrical/silicon grease. This will keep the oil out.

Cheers

Steve

A newer harness (assuming ttuck3r's is now 14 years old) can't hurt, especially if you add these precautions to minimise future issues.

There are other mods you can make at the plug ends to properly resolve the problem but these are more complex. There are some detailed threads on the Australian forums.
Post #215690 3rd Mar 2013 9:46am
ttuck3r

Received my new injector loom/harness, stripped it down and ATV glued every single hole, cavity i could find shut, hopefully get it installed in the week..
Post #218193 11th Mar 2013 10:59pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
I'm sure I read somewhere that Landrover say the loom is a service item and should be replaced every 3 years regardless. Not that I have.
Post #218205 11th Mar 2013 11:27pm
Martyn668

United Kingdom 
Hello all,

I have the same symptoms (spluttering at high revs - about 60mph in 5th gear, 40mph in 4th, etc.) I checked the red plug at the ECU, but it was spotlessly clean. Could oil in the loom still be the problem? The solution is always to change the loom near the injectors anyway, so I assume the oil is there in my case, and has just not yet made it to the ECU. Or does it have to make it to the red plug to cause the short circuit of the signals?

I'll probably change the loom anyway, but would appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Post #220934 21st Mar 2013 7:14pm
ttuck3r

Very interesting, i thought it had to make its way to the red plug even though i havent got to replacing mine yet i did clean out the red plug and the splutter persisted for a short while and then stopped, but about 4 days ago i noticed my fuel pump was getting noisy and the next day a got the spluttering again for a short while and now its gone again.. Confused Confused so im now going to start the process of illimination.
Post #220986 21st Mar 2013 9:50pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Martyn668 wrote:
Hello all,

I have the same symptoms (spluttering at high revs - about 60mph in 5th gear, 40mph in 4th, etc.) I checked the red plug at the ECU, but it was spotlessly clean. Could oil in the loom still be the problem? The solution is always to change the loom near the injectors anyway, so I assume the oil is there in my case, and has just not yet made it to the ECU. Or does it have to make it to the red plug to cause the short circuit of the signals?

I'll probably change the loom anyway, but would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Sounds more like you have a seized wastegate to me.

Check
&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Andy
Post #221012 21st Mar 2013 10:29pm
Butters

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
Try this
Unplug the mass airflow meter.

It's in between the air box and the turbo.

After a few seconds of driving the car will use the ECU preset safe fuelling instead of relying on the MAF. For the first few seconds its gonna drive slow and bad acceleration then it goes like fxxj

If the Defender then runs great, buy a new MAF sensor fit and enjoy. Don't run long term with no MAF you will waste fuel and be under and over fuelling depending on the revs

To test the waste gate use some mole grips on the actuator rod that goes towards the turbo, push it firmly towards the bulkhead of the car, if it moves in and out waste gate is fine

The injector loom is £35 ish, if you can't remember when. It was last done just do it, they last two to three years then start leaking through the loom and can make a mess of the ECU so treat as a service item every two to three years methinks
My guess is kangaroo ing or jerky power spluttering, more than likely the MAF Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Range Rover Vogue TD6 L322 2006> (Black)
Post #222502 27th Mar 2013 12:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>