↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Head unit and speaker upgrade.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thanks Steve Bow down

Of course I do have the luxury of being able to take the vehicle off the road to work on it for a couple of weeks (actually 12 weeks now and still not finished Big Cry )

I have the same problem as Cacka, start with one plan and then divert to something else - Even something simple like leathering the rear seats has now moved on to installing three seat heaters and all the additional wiring and switches that entails Whistle
Post #218602 13th Mar 2013 12:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Likewise for me too. Every time I go to do a job on it I find I've got to drive and go out with it the same day. Evil or Very Mad Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #218605 13th Mar 2013 12:50pm
Cracka

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I've been getting a little of the insulation done each day, but having to take out seat belts and the stiffening bar and putting it back each time to use the car is a pain.....only because I'm OCD Rolling with laughter and had to have the roadkill everywhere.

So I've got all of the back done now from the back of the seatbox to the rear except the back door.

Bloody hell it makes a world of difference it actually does make it quieter and I think it will make a difference with the heat as well. I must admit I was a little skeptical, yes you were all RIGHT Rolling with laughter . On Saturday the wife and I drove for about 60 kms. I had only done the rear floor and part of the wheel boxes at this stage. The flat area where the stiffener bar mounts directly behind the seatbox was quit warm to touch (not hot, as it wasn't a real hot day) and the top of the roadkill on the rear floor adjacent to this was cold to touch Very Happy

Well a couple of piccies, because as we know, no pictures then it didn't happen Laughing

Post #220597 20th Mar 2013 10:25am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Excellent job, well done Thumbs Up

Of course we can't relate to the comments about heat in this country ! Evil or Very Mad
Post #220608 20th Mar 2013 11:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cracka

Thanks mate. Now on to the front, well maybe not straight away!

I have to sort out what to cover the side panels and wheel boxes with now and how to attach!!!! Any suggestions.

A bit chilly over there mate, it was a lovely 25c here today Wink oh, and sunny Smile
Post #220609 20th Mar 2013 11:12am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
The second word is 'Off' Rolling with laughter

Depends on your intended use but I would personally use carpet for the wheel boxes and side panels and a rubber mat for the floor
Post #220610 20th Mar 2013 11:14am
Cracka

Yep, I can guess the first...... Laughing

Yeah I was probably going to go that way, I'm pretty particular so it won't get dirty!!!! I have the factory rubber mat for the floor as mine only has the rubber all the way through. I don't think we get the carpet options here, maybe the SVX!

Would I glue the carpet to the side panels and boxes or use double sided carpet tape. Just thinking if it ever had to come up for some reason.

Click image to enlarge

Post #220612 20th Mar 2013 11:22am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Put some self adhesive closed cell foam (6-10 mm thick) over the top of the sound deadening then the mats on top of that and it will be even quieter, comfier and cooler or warmer if it ever gets cold over there.
Post #220613 20th Mar 2013 11:42am
Cracka

Yeah thanks mate I was thinking about the dynaliner or similar!

Haha yep it does get cold, well cool down to 0 c here. The wood heater will get cranked up about May.
Post #220614 20th Mar 2013 11:58am
Cracka

Well I extracted my finger and did my some more soundproofing this weekend. I took your advice mk1collector and found a nice product called Formshield, 10mm thick closed cell foam with a foil backing and self adhesive. A few pics for viewing Very Happy

The Stinger Roadkill first.

This is the Formshield.

And now the Formshield fitted.

It did make getting the headliner above the rear door back a bit of a struggle, I did get it in the long run. I haven't got it all buttoned up yet by I will report back whether it was worth the effort. I'm hoping it stops me hearing the bit of wind noise that I get from my Hannibal rack at about 80kph and over.

Mick
Post #256122 4th Aug 2013 8:58am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Nice to see your looking after that 'Pretty' landrover. The multi layered approach works best with all sound proofing.
You need different materials to absorb different frequencies. Regarding thickness, you have experienced the problems with the head lining,. Carpets can be worse. Just a thought, but you could cover both side of the seat box and bulkhead, bit of a faf, but would make fitting the carpets easier, and retain your multi layered approach.
On mine I used a decent spray adhesive for fitting rubber matting to the sides. I have not had any start to peel with the extreme's of temperature we have experienced this year
Post #256125 4th Aug 2013 9:16am
Cracka

Head/Speaker upgrade plus sound and heat proofing.
G'day Jim,

Yes the 'pretty' landy is going well mate, and I am looking after her. She goes to the dealer on wednesday to have the A/C Sensor-Temp evaporator and another item to rectify the issues with A/C freezing up after 20 mins.

I haven't got carpet fitted, we don't get it in Oz not even as an option. I have yet to do the front floor and sweatbox, oops I meant seatbox Whistle areas I was thinking I might do the inside of the seatbox and then the floor with Stinger and the Formshield.

I'm not sure what I will put on the side walls in the rear as yet, but probably a dark grey marine carpet. I haven't done anything yet as I'm trying to work out what I want in the back for a bit of touring/camping. The 45 litre Engel takes up soooooo much space.

As far as sticking the carpet to the form shield and Stinger I was going to use either contact glue or might even give some of the industrial type carpet tape a go of the flat surfaces.

Mick

Last edited by Cracka on 4th Aug 2013 10:12am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #256127 4th Aug 2013 9:35am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Good Afternoon Mick,
My spray adhesive was supplied by a mate who is a carpet fitter. It is really good stuff. I stuck the rubber mat direct to the dynamat (equivalent to your stinger) no problems Thumbs Up I then siliconed (using Silka flex) the corners/ joins to in effect give me a waterproof tub/loadliner. This can just be washed out.
In my experience/opinion adding carpet will be very beneficial as it will absorb sounds alot better. Any news on the headunit/speakers yet ?
Post #256130 4th Aug 2013 9:50am
Cracka

Oops sorry Embarassed realised I hadn't updated when I put the head unit and speakers in. They have actually been in a few months now. I'm very happy with them, I ran all new wiring direct from the head unit to the crossovers in the front and also to the rear 6" I put in the rear. You can actually see the speaker cable for the rear in the 3rd and 4th photo of the rear in my above post.

I haven't got around to doing the sub yet as I was waiting until the car had been to the dealer to have the A/C problem fixed. I will do the seatbox/floor soundproofing and the wiring for the sub at the same time.

So was the spray adhesive like contact cement or something different.

Mick
Post #256134 4th Aug 2013 10:03am
Cracka

I will get some photos of the head unit and front speakers tomorrow.

I did have these photos of how I fitted the 6" speakers using 10mm spacers.

I scribed the spacers to fit around the moulding.

Click image to enlarge
Post #256138 4th Aug 2013 10:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>