↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Brodit Prolip mount for Mobile Phone Cradle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Brodit Prolip mount for Mobile Phone Cradle
I'm looking at getting a mount for a mobile holder.

Always liked the Brodit stuff and was looking at the Puma ones.

I know they do the one that sits up on top of the dash, but don't fancy blocking the vents off.

So the other option is this one that clips behind the bottom of the centre console.

My only concern is that it's very near the headunit and interference may be heard out of the speakers.

Just wondering if anyone else uses one of these? Or of course any other ideas! Thumbs Up Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #211149 14th Feb 2013 11:02am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I have the type that sits on the vent, well 2 of them so me and the wife can charge the phones when were on the move (ordered a LHD plinth for the passager side).
I didn't have any issues with the radio until recently when the dealer had it out to sort some water ingress issues out, so they probably haven't connected it properly as its not a constant issue and it happens just the same if the phone is not pluged in.

I havent blocked my vents off and have not issues to report having them mounted on the vents for 2 years now with the heater blowing hot and cold. but what I can say is that you can get some rattling when you know you need to drop down a gear. Thumbs Up Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #211152 14th Feb 2013 11:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
x-isle

Thumbs Up Cheers Russ.

Since posting, I have been looking at the vent mount.

I assume you mean this one

As I've got a Galaxy S3, which isn't the smallest phone, I would probably mount it horizontal. I could also use it to watch videos and of course could actually email/text using the voice feature (which works via BT thru Headunit), therefore, being higher up would actually be better.

I was thinking that I could place a RHD mount on the left vent which gives a bit more space. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #211154 14th Feb 2013 11:24am
marklockett2103

ive got the brodit one, dont get any interference from iphone 4s
Post #211156 14th Feb 2013 11:31am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi, Like BigRuss I have two mounted on each upper vent. However, you need to be careful with what phone you are putting in the cradle. Both the ms, my son and myself have I-Phone 4s and if you have heat coming out of the upper vents they get hot and start shutting down with warnings to say they are shutting down for protection as the processor is getting too hot.

Other than that they are a lot easier to read and great for satnav & inclinometer apps.
Post #211179 14th Feb 2013 12:49pm
BigRuss

x-isle wrote:
Thumbs Up Cheers Russ.

Since posting, I have been looking at the vent mount.

I assume you mean this one

As I've got a Galaxy S3, which isn't the smallest phone, I would probably mount it horizontal. I could also use it to watch videos and of course could actually email/text using the voice feature (which works via BT thru Headunit), therefore, being higher up would actually be better.

I was thinking that I could place a RHD mount on the left vent which gives a bit more space.

yes thats the one, I also bought a mount that has power and run the lead behind the centre console and left enought free so I can rotate the mount 90 degrees if needed Thumbs Up

Also they have never jumped out offroading Mr. Green Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #211191 14th Feb 2013 2:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
x-isle

Ah, now that's interesting.

I have various options with the S3. I'm going for full active which narrows it down to 2 unless I go cheapskate and get a cig lighter one and bastadise it.

or

The second one is a LOT more expensive, and looks a bit fiddly. If I can get away with the first one it'll cheaper and less fiddly, but not sure it'll stay in place in landscape mode. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #211193 14th Feb 2013 2:22pm
BigRuss

I went for the first one without the top bit to hold it in, but I don't normally drive with it on the side but they are a tight fit in general. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #211200 14th Feb 2013 3:02pm
x-isle

Thanks Russ, it saves a big load of cash going for the top one. If I have any issues, I can always make it a tighter fit. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #211201 14th Feb 2013 3:05pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I use a Brodit holder cobbled to a dashmount bracket from these guys: http://www.chameleondirect.co.uk/index.php...cts_id=895
Original brodit holder in that position relies on adhesive to hold it in place and I've had the centre console out so many times fiddling with adding extra bits that it didn't last very long.

The one linked above is metal and held in place by the bolt that holds the fascia on. It does leave the fascia bulging slightly where it cannot seat properly.

No interference issues.

I used the power supply from an active brodit holder for a previous phone. Same plug that fits my Galaxy S2 and use the additional socket on the power supply to power my Galaxy Tab for Sat Nav. When I turn off ignition, I get a message on the S2 saying that charging has paused due to overvoltage. I get this in another car using a similar system, so it might be the phone, or the use of the older generation power supply, but it works well enough to not bother changing at the moment.
Post #211215 14th Feb 2013 4:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1