↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2012 engine failure at 10k KM
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Liberace

Italy 
2012 engine failure at 10k KM
Here's what happened. We took our new 110 for its first highway trip. It had been trouble free for 8 months of local driving here in Italy. After 3 hours on the autostrada averaging only about 100 km/hr we reached Vicenza and exited the highway. At the toll I smelled Coolant but not very strong. The only other strange thing on the trip was the passenger side vents were blowing cold while the drivers side was normal. Temp was normal so we continued to the hotel, about 3 miles. Just as we reached the hotel the coolant gauge dropped to full cold and I knew we had a problem.
We opened the bonnet and there was oil and coolant everywhere!
Car towed to land rover and we were given a rental. The dealer told us the engine is ruined and they are searching for a new one now. I will update as things develope.
Post #196059 23rd Dec 2012 6:34pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
really sorry to hear that.

I hope it doesn't ruin your holiday plans - hope it all gets sorted quickly and hassle free.
Post #196062 23rd Dec 2012 6:39pm
sparkylee

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Sorry to hear that
Glad you were able to sort car out and find dealer before everything shuts for Christmas It's good to be back from the dark side

DC110 -2012 Black with black hood and black x-tech
FFRR 4.2 vogue
Renault traffic auto
PT crusier convertible
Laika x700 Motorhome
Post #196083 23rd Dec 2012 8:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Liberace

Italy 
Thanks gents, LR has so far covered the towing and provided us with a rental, a Renault Scenic, at least we will get home faster on the highway. The dealer in Vicenza will be replacing the engine when they locate one, it will probably be after the new year. Since I lost both coolant and oil I am guessing it is a head failed. The oil and coolant seemed mixed together sprayed all around the engine bay, mostly on the right side. The dealership said they have to have LR technicians come before they can do any work or analysis.
I had the oil/filter changed a month ago at 7500 km by my original dealership, that's the only time the engine was touched. I paid an outrageous 200 euro for the oil change, I was going to do it myself but ran out of time and had the dealer do it, wonder if they screwed something up.
Did some searching and can't seem to find another 2.2 that failed like this.....
Post #196089 23rd Dec 2012 9:09pm
keith

Scotland 
2.2 . Nothing but problems . The worst , cheepest and nastiest product LR ever made .
Post #196126 23rd Dec 2012 10:58pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
keith wrote:
2.2 . Nothing but problems . The worst , cheepest and nastiest product LR ever made .

Could you expand on your comment or reasons why ? As the 2.2 is not really any different to the 2.4 and there are loads of happy 2.4 owners and probably 2.2 owners
Post #196127 23rd Dec 2012 11:06pm
keith

Scotland 
speedymarktd6 wrote:
keith wrote:

Could you expand on your comment or reasons why ? As the 2.2 is not really any different to the 2.4 and there are loads of happy 2.4 owners and probably 2.2 owners
25 yrs devotion to this company , 14 landrovers later , another 35000 out of pocket and im raging at the cheek of LR corporation . Its the last LR to be produced , end of an era , 65 yrs gone titsup , we cant tick the boxes of the EU regs no more so lets scrap it . Screw the devoted customer world wide , the ones that kept the company afloat many times over , lets give them no carpets , cheep nasty parts , thinner panels , a bonnet without a spare wheel , the list goes on and charge them top dollar . This 2.2 is the worst performing , sounding and running engine ever . Who ever designed an engine to hold its revs for 2 - 3 secs before you can change gear , eh its madnes , these issues are well echoed throughout the 2.2 owners world and all because the monkeys at LR have had sit on their laptops and program the ecu to run the engine like a bag o nails begause of this blo*dy DPF . It might work on modern diesel cars but its no use on a defender , a car thats never changed in 65 yrs . Its ruined , over mr Tata is delighted to get shot of this dinaosaur , 2 billion profit last year and the quicker he gets it away the better to his pocket . Its ME the commited defender driver that left with the end of life sh#t . I could go on for a week on this 2.2 . My 1964 2.25 was a better engine .yep do you think im raging ?
Post #196138 23rd Dec 2012 11:59pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
Sounds like a classic case of stormy jock to me! Wink
I agree with some of what you have said though, it does seem that LR are just going to keep the Defender ticking over until the DC???? comes out in 2017? Until then we just have to put up or shut up.
Post #196159 24th Dec 2012 9:13am
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
keith wrote:

Who ever designed an engine to hold its revs for 2 - 3 secs before you can change gear , eh its madnes

Would you mind explaining that a little bit more please, that the first that I've heard of it ? An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #196163 24th Dec 2012 9:21am
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
You get over run after releasing your foot from the throttle
Post #196168 24th Dec 2012 9:53am
Bogtrotter

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Ours does not do that!
Post #196192 24th Dec 2012 11:33am
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
I love my 2.2 and had no problems so far and no over run here, i also think its better then my old 2.4 as that was a bag of Rubbish as the thing had only done 1700 miles and it was back to the dealer due to bad water leaks then back in for ABS leads then again for both front wheel hubs then the car had only done 2300 miles and the engine went bang and put a conrod through the block, then got it back then the rear diff blew so got it all sorted and got rid asap, then went to a TD5 D2 which i loved and had that tuned up and then at around 89k then engine was giving up, so i left land rover to it.

After 3 years I then bought my 2.2 X-Tech and she has done 3200 miles with no problems but i know there will be a few but its built in the UK by english people so its going to have issues Laughing

at the end of the day each to there own but my veiw is that the 2.2 is better then the 2.4 and the TD5 is the only one i would go back to but thats only if i was building a off roader Thumbs Up
Post #196200 24th Dec 2012 12:28pm
rover

United Kingdom 
My 2.2 is a pleasure, Ive been driving Land rovers and other 4x4s for over 20 years. Only gripe is the notchy gear change when cold but I think all pumas are prone to this.
Post #196214 24th Dec 2012 1:52pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
keith wrote:
Screw the devoted customer world wide , the ones that kept the company afloat many times over , lets give them no carpets , cheep nasty parts , thinner panels , a bonnet without a spare wheel , the list goes on and charge them top dollar

I though LR don't make any money on the defender that's why it needs changing as its a loss leader
Post #196292 24th Dec 2012 6:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
rover wrote:
Only gripe is the notchy gear change when cold but I think all pumas are prone to this.

My 2.4 does even now after 29k on the clock. Only find it when first cold and in 1st and 2nd gear. After 5 mins it's perfect. Very Happy Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #196318 24th Dec 2012 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>