↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Towing Kit and folding rear step
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BBSJK

England 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Towing Kit and folding rear step
Picked up the new ( Oct 08 ) 110 yesterday and very please so far Thumbs Up I've been playing 'spot the matching parts' with my 1986 2.5D. The mirrors even have the same serial number!

Strapped my 4yo boy in the back today and as usual he could not get in but neither could I! No rear step? Before I go out and get a folding rear step is it missing because it doesn't fit with the tow bar? I have got fitted the HD LR tow kit with the twin electrics. I could just fit a tow bar step but I quite fancy the OEM folding step. Has anyone got this fitted with the tow kit?

Jonathan No the other left . . .
Post #15670 19th Sep 2009 9:42pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: Towing Kit and folding rear step
BBSJK wrote:
Picked up the new ( Oct 08 ) 110 yesterday and very please so far Thumbs Up I've been playing 'spot the matching parts' with my 1986 2.5D. The mirrors even have the same serial number!

Strapped my 4yo boy in the back today and as usual he could not get in but neither could I! No rear step? Before I go out and get a folding rear step is it missing because it doesn't fit with the tow bar? I have got fitted the HD LR tow kit with the twin electrics. I could just fit a tow bar step but I quite fancy the OEM folding step. Has anyone got this fitted with the tow kit?

Jonathan

Previous owner took it off. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #15687 20th Sep 2009 8:14pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Yep - the OE fold-up step is on mine, along with the OE tow bar kit, seems fine.
I have read that the original method of fixing is a bit naff, but maybe you can put better bolts in or something if fitting yourself...
I'd only say that when people (particularly adults) are climbing out, the fact that the step is off to the side is a little awkward if you have the nearside seat raised - if mine ever fails I might be tempted to go for a hitch-mounted step (extending both sides of hitch) next time.
The NAS style step is by far the best stepping option (had one on my last Def), but doesn't work with the standard tow kit, and AFAIK isn't certified for a drop-plate.
Post #15696 21st Sep 2009 10:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1