Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2 stroke oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LR09WA

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
2 stroke oil
Hi everyone

I know this gets brought up from time to time just thought i would share this thread.....

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html

Cheers LR09WA
Post #16044 30th Sep 2009 2:32am
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
Has anyone tried this in the Defender?
Post #16049 30th Sep 2009 8:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I think using quality brand fuel is as important.
I didn't feel real differences with my 300TDI camel disco but I could see differences in MPG. Not really in tank to to differences as they changed widely depending on driving style and how full I put it that time.
But I kept track off my fuel consumption and used shell most off the time till a Tango station came and started using that as it was cheaper. I used that for about half a year and carefully looked at my fuel consumption over that period and I noticed that the price difference was about the same amount that I lost on MPG so I changed back to Shell again.

With my current Discovery a G4 D3 with a nice 4.4 ltr V8 I really need to use good branded fuels. As the MPG go down on cheap fuel. I run it on the normal euro petrol I didn't see a benifit in the Shell Power or the BP ultimate fuel they didn't bring a MPG increase. But cheap full brings the MPG down and like a few weeks ago can even cause rough running.
So I am a convinced quality brand fuel driver, I use mainly Shell and BP mainly because they are close to home and I know that they are good. so I use them in other places too. In Germany BP is sold under the brand name Aral. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #16051 30th Sep 2009 9:35am
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
roel wrote:
I think using quality brand fuel is as important.
I didn't feel real differences with my 300TDI camel disco but I could see differences in MPG. Not really in tank to to differences as they changed widely depending on driving style and how full I put it that time.
But I kept track off my fuel consumption and used shell most off the time till a Tango station came and started using that as it was cheaper. I used that for about half a year and carefully looked at my fuel consumption over that period and I noticed that the price difference was about the same amount that I lost on MPG so I changed back to Shell again.

With my current Discovery a G4 D3 with a nice 4.4 ltr V8 I really need to use good branded fuels. As the MPG go down on cheap fuel. I run it on the normal euro petrol I didn't see a benifit in the Shell Power or the BP ultimate fuel they didn't bring a MPG increase. But cheap full brings the MPG down and like a few weeks ago can even cause rough running.
So I am a convinced quality brand fuel driver, I use mainly Shell and BP mainly because they are close to home and I know that they are good. so I use them in other places too. In Germany BP is sold under the brand name Aral.

i too only ever use quality brand fuel and never supermarket stuff - it does make a difference to mpg.
Post #16054 30th Sep 2009 11:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Anybody know if this is safe to use in a TD5?
Post #16068 30th Sep 2009 2:24pm
Bundubasher

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I use 2 stroke in my Puma 2007. I use 50 ppm diesel so the diesel pump and fuel system etc needs extra lubrication. Engine runs quieter and economy is good. For every 30 litres diesel in put in 150 ml good 2 stroke oil. 2 stroke oil is ashless so there is no residue or anything on the injedctors etc.
Post #16226 3rd Oct 2009 10:40am
puma 90

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Hi bundubasher,

I use "the old" diesel qualities in Botswana; 500ppm sulphur instead of 50ppm like Sasol low sulphur diesel.
You add 2 stroke to lubricate etc, as far as I know, LR suggest to use low sulphur diesel because otherwise injectors, common rail en high pressure pump can be affected Question (see subject: knocking diesel at constant speed)
I don't add anything and my engine runs very rough between 1500 and 2000 rpm Sad
Post #16233 3rd Oct 2009 3:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1