↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2nd gear MT82
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Niel

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I spent 3 hours in the Defender yeasterday. And yes it seems to work alot smoother when properly heated. This morning however it was difficult to engage 2nd gear again, but when the car is hot it seems to work fine.
Can this be due to the newness/stifness of the car. Will it loosten up after say 10000kms? Puma 110 sw White
No extras yet.
Post #15726 22nd Sep 2009 6:17am
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
May do . The dealer said the gearbox change will improve as it beds in. Dont know if thats true but you have plenty of time to find out. I still think I would question it though. On another point have S A dealers done the tune patch to any Defenders as yet? And if so how have they found it.

Allan
Post #15727 22nd Sep 2009 6:52am
Fontuin

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
Allan wrote:
point have S A dealers done the tune patch to any Defenders as yet?

What is the "tune patch"?
Post #15728 22nd Sep 2009 7:07am
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Its a patch to stop engine fault and limp mode followin cold start on some Defender Pumas. When driving through 2nd to 3rd gear at approx 2500rpm engine develops knock and goes into limp mode. Fuel pressure problem I believe. Plenty of threads re this on LROA site.

Allan
Post #15731 22nd Sep 2009 8:59am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
I was at the dealer this morning to inspect my fuel tank leak and I showed him my concern regarding the apparent injection noise that I experience. I enquired about the patch and was told it is on hold for further development. I am sure I read elsewhere it has since been revised but he did mention it involved injector settings. I am waiting for the more technical guy to return from leave before I return again to be explained to properly why mine is sounding like a rattle snake.
I also finally got the test driver to hear my other concern from the gearbox/clutch when I drive in 2'nd low at idle up any slope and the rattle sound was really apparent that he could hear it at last. Awaiting above expert to return from leave …..patiently
Neutral Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #15736 22nd Sep 2009 11:47am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Mine has just come back from the dealer - new clutch needed and will not be in until next week.

Apparently I had the old clutch even though my chassis number is newer than the recall !

Tune patch was on my worksheet but done done due to Land Rover pulling the fix until further notice.

Bob
Post #15738 22nd Sep 2009 12:16pm
bob neville

An update !

As I said earlier, mine has to have a new clutch but .... it DOES have the new version fitted ! Apparently it is not releasing correctly and this is causing the problems with second and third. According to the dealer the problem is with all gears but second and third show it up for some reason.

Bob
Post #15743 22nd Sep 2009 12:44pm
CapeLandy

South Africa 
also struggeling in 2'nd - must also be similar problem with the revised clutch - does your's also rattle at low rev's Bob? Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #15745 22nd Sep 2009 12:56pm
bob neville

Mine does rattle a bit at low revs but not all the time.

On the list of new parts for next week are the clutch, wiper motor and wiper relay .... for now !

Bob
Post #15746 22nd Sep 2009 1:04pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Told dealer yesterday about same problem 2nd gear select they said there is a problem with it they have ajusted it to its max but the problem is still there, they said if it gets any worse then to tell them and they will fix it so it looks like a new selector they said its not the gearbox Whistle NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #16120 1st Oct 2009 12:26pm
bob neville

I have now got a new clutch fitted and there is a difference, second and third are still notchy but not as bad as they were with the previous clutch.

I will let the clutch bed in for a while and see how things go.

Bob
Post #16136 1st Oct 2009 6:26pm
fekete

Hi Bob, mines really bad to the point im really struggling with it as said before they say its not the gearbox ?
ill pop it back next week they can fix it NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #16137 1st Oct 2009 6:56pm
bob neville

Fekete

When I drove the vehicle home on Monday, apart from the radio and heater packing up !, the gear change felt worse with the new clutch Having been back and forth to the dealer to get the newly broken bits repaired, the gear change in fourth and above is certainly better. However, second and third are still notchy, not difficult to engage as with the old clutch. The dealer confirmed that the clutch they replaced was the latest version.

I am going to give it a bit of time to see what happens and if things don't improve I will get them to have another look. My dealer did say there was a problem and were convinced that it was the clutch release that was faulty.

Before the clutch was replaced my partner did end up with the vehicle stuck in reverse and first - I told her it was a 'women' thing !! On a few occasions I could not select second or third at all but it is to soon to say that the new clutch has resolved this problem.

Have you used low ratio recently ? I found that after 6 hours of low ratio off roading on Sunday the feel of the gear change, once back in high range, did seem better.

Bob
Post #16140 1st Oct 2009 7:12pm
fekete

No Bob i'll try that out but the dealer has said it has a problem with the selector and to see if it gets worse. well since they have played with it guess what? its got worse. i've had the new clutch fitted 7months ago and it never got rid of this problem. i've had the problem since i've had the vehicle and now its getting worse but thanks for the advice and i'll try that in the morning and let you know Thumbs Up

Regards
Karl NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #16142 1st Oct 2009 7:24pm
fekete

(Have you used low ratio recently ? I found that after 6 hours of low ratio off roading on Sunday the feel of the gear change, once back in high range, did seem better.)

Hi Bob, Tried the low ratio today and after changing back to high it did seem better, But for how long i don't know. I'll pop to the dealer next week and see what they say, Also i've developed a pong type noise at the rear end of the vehicle it sounds like its coming from the rear diff, it only happens when pulling off in 1st & 2nd see what they say about that as well, And finally i've checked the headlamp bowls and there rusty too so i've got quite a list for them, see what else i can find before monday LOL NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #16168 2nd Oct 2009 2:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12