↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rock sliders.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Thud, you normally remove the original LR Ali cill completely from the vehicle to fit rock sliders.

Brendan
Post #207897 3rd Feb 2013 9:38am
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
leeds wrote:
Thud, you normally remove the original LR Ali cill completely from the vehicle to fit rock sliders.

Brendan

Yes, I guessed. The question is will the sliders cover the checker fixing holes with either brand?
Post #207898 3rd Feb 2013 9:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
You normally remove the lower sill panel too.
Post #207906 3rd Feb 2013 10:03am
Thud

I see. That makes sense.
Post #207915 3rd Feb 2013 10:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Pic of the Richmond ones fitted to mine a couple of months ago:

Click image to enlarge

Quality really is excellent for the price in terms of the construction and fabrication. Only slightly let down by the quality of the powder coat. Mine had a couple of scrapes in them when they arrived, which had to be touched in with some satin hammerite before they were fitted. After a few months fitted I've noticed that they've started to rust slightly around the welds, so will have to come off and be painted. Despite this, they're still very good value.

If you were thinking about buying these for serious off road use, it might be worth asking him for a price without the powder coating and get them galvanised yourself before painting / powder coat. The problem with that is it probably gets rid of any price advantage!

And, as with the others, they did take a long, long time to arrive. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #207925 3rd Feb 2013 11:02am
Thud

Well they look great on your very nice truck GM. True about the galvanizing. Probably worth the £100 in the long run.
Swinging towards Safari Equip now.
Are they in stock Brendan? (The version with Nerf bars)
Post #207929 3rd Feb 2013 11:08am
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Not on the site exterior products>protection...yet. Confused Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #208456 4th Feb 2013 11:29pm
Thud

Just spoke to Ian at Richmond. Seems like a good chap. Promised delivery within two weeks.
Post #208492 5th Feb 2013 10:32am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Could anybody do me a big favor and post up dimensions of the 110 versions you have.

Especially where the mounting points are.

I am going to build my own and this will save me a lot of time. Not that i don't want to buy any but i need to incorporate brackets and holders for my water tanks and skidplates, so not much sense in buying something and then grinding off the powdercoating;

much appreciated! Bow down
Post #208515 5th Feb 2013 12:22pm
rusty66

Germany 
Hi,

I've just made my own. It's better to fabricate the sliders and the brackets separately and then fit them on the car. Building tolerances make it difficult to align the sliders nicely without 'trying them on'.

Also there are some treesliders (if you are after these) that have three little struts between bar and slider and others have only two. I think three look nicer. Some sliders have the tree bar running out to the slider box section at a fairly shallow angle (excuse my simple English). This I also didn't like that much, so instead of bending the bar I welded bends from plumbing pipe to the end of the round pipe section. Last thing that I 'changed' from many sliders I saw are the ends. Which I think look nicer with a bend and not as a straight line.

I have some simple measurements that I don't dare call a technical drawing, but they might help. I do also have some pictures if you are interested. It's a bit late tonight but I could upload them some other time.

I thought about buying, too, but first there's quite a bit of fun in doing them yourself and they also came much cheaper at about 30 pounds for all the metal section I needed. Of course there'll be galvanising and powder coating, but at least then you know it's been well done.

Good luck with your project Smile

Sorry, technical English is as bad as my ability to do technical drawings Confused

Boris

Click image to enlarge
Post #209094 6th Feb 2013 11:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Although it doesn't include dimensions, you might find this link useful:-

http://www.paddockspares.com/media/downloa...PM1069.pdf
Post #209141 7th Feb 2013 11:07am
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Safaris have 2 Cow Cow http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=49

Terrafirma have 2 Sheep Sheep http://www.terrafirma4x4.com/products_php.php?cat=80&grp=114

Richmond have 2 Dog Dog http://www.rock-sliders.co.uk/landrover-de...iders.html

Sooo, who makes them with 3? Whistle

More/same on ebay: XRT http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Sliders-Lan...3a7d77d412

4wheeln http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defen...2eb30e39c5

CCRC http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFEN...417013892a

Stanbra http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-DEFEND...1c2ebd5fbb

wellspacedout http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-rover-defen...35bf1e32d9 Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #209600 8th Feb 2013 8:26pm
udderlyoffroad

United Kingdom 
Gruezi* Rusty,
Nothing wrong with your English, but if you get a chance, could you trace your drawing onto a blank sheet of paper that doesn’t have squares on it – it’s a bit hard to make out! Also, if you have pictures, I (and I suspect others) would be keen to see them!

Also for the benefit of others contemplating a DIY fabrication, the Entreq Website shows some very detailed photographs of their bracketry arrangement. Make sure you’re sitting down when you see the prices though.

*Yes I know that’s not the correct Rhinish greeting, but it’s correct where I grew up Wink Real trucks don't have spark plugs
Post #209991 9th Feb 2013 11:14pm
rusty66

Germany 
Hi,
I will redraw the 'drawing' or try to do some work with the scan on the computer so that the squares won't show. Just need a bit of time. I can also post pictures, but the camera is still in the workshop and I won't get there until next week. There are two or three on my phone which I took to show the galvanizing company that I drilled holes in all the hollow sections to connect them. Maybe they show some other details, too. I will post them later.

Yes, Gruezi is not quite what we say here in the Rhineland Smile But as I think of it, I can't really say what we say ... Confused The closest might be 'Mahlzeit', which is something likle "enjoy your meal" and can be used as a greeting anytime 24/7 ... But I've also only moved here about 10 years ago. Mind you, almost everyone my age downwards seems to say 'hi' these days, so we're really international here Rolling Eyes
Post #210785 12th Feb 2013 9:01pm
rusty66

Germany 
I cleared up the drawing. Don't really know if that made it any better. There are some measurements missing and this is my initial sketch. As I said, when I built the slider I worked with the car at hand to try and measure on the go. I haven't studied engineering and am more the practical sort of 'mechanic', so please once again excuse the lack of sophistication here.

Click image to enlarge

Well, and here are some other pictures:

This shows the two sliders at an early stage with the middle struts and the bent which is from ready-to-buy- plumbing pipe.

This shows the end. You can see that I marked the metal to be cut off at two angles. Did a bit of trying out with a cardboard pattern until I was happy. The finished bit looks different because of the plate welded onto the ends.

The struts are welded on and drilled to allow air to escape during hot dipping. This is essential as otherwise the trapped air might expand and the tube section explode with the risk of serious injury.

Finally, again the ends of the tree sliders. This looks neater than bending the pipe yourself. It means, of course, more work and welding ...

There are more pictures, which I will upload when I get hold of the camera.

Cheers
Boris
Post #210795 12th Feb 2013 9:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>