Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dieselhead

Cold weather & central locking
Hi all,

Right pain with the central locking this morning at minus 7 Mad

Now one of the rear door locks is being lazy

Had to leave it unlocked at work as everything was too frozen to opperate Big Cry

Any tips or how to winterproof your central locking system Thumbs Up

Thanks Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #202436 16th Jan 2013 9:13pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
The actuators are not normally the issue, its usually moisture in the lock mechanism that causes the issue and the actuators lack the oomph (good technical term that! Wink ) to open lock with frozen lock parts.

Best thing to do is spray WD40 into lock mechanism and keyhole. Obviously too low a temp and WD40 will freeze too, but I think we are safe in UK.

Cheers

Steve
Post #202441 16th Jan 2013 9:23pm
forest172

2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
My drivers door only opened when I put the key in. The fob wouldn`t open the drivers door properly on the last 2 very cold mornings
Post #202574 17th Jan 2013 3:07pm
puma2010

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Hi,

I spray all the the locks with WD, and also wipe WD around the door and window rubbers,

helps stop them from freezing to the windows.
Post #204290 22nd Jan 2013 1:50pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
As well as the above sometimes the plastic button at the top of the door card needs lubricating too. If all else fails whip the door cards off, carefully peel back the plastic membrane and give all the various linkages etc a good dose of service spray or similar. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #204320 22nd Jan 2013 2:33pm
macduff

United Kingdom 
Whatever you do dont leave the engine running and shut the doors whilst outside if your locks are sticky due to cold/ice, it could lock you out. Mine did that recently and I couldn't get it to unlock using the spare key or fob. LR assist broke in pointed out why it happended, outer locks frozen solid and internal central locking actuators not moving fully causing it to lock it self when the door was shut. 2023 110 P400e
Post #204340 22nd Jan 2013 3:02pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
my 2nd row door actuator has stopped working. dvr side this time. last month it was the n/s. n/s one was a faulty actuator, replaced under warranty. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #204353 22nd Jan 2013 3:56pm
dhopable

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Yeh ok... I'll give you all a laugh.. Mad

This morning, half 7, went to the defender, unlocked it, opened the back door, put the dog in, shut the door.. No problem. Smile

Went to the drivers door, it was locked, passenger door unlocked though! So i locked it again with the fob and unloacked it again see if it would budge, nothing.

Go round to the passenger door, get in and climb into the drivers seat. Very difficult being 6'4 in a 90 with dog guard.. Evil or Very Mad

Realizing Ive left my coffee on her indoors' mini, shouting lots of swear words, bang the door with my elbow out of shear manhood frustration and it pops open! B*stard. Evil or Very Mad

Get out, retrive coffee, turn round to get back in, and its locked itself. Keys in ignition, engine running. BRILLIANT.

Luckly, spare keys are in the kitchen! So I come back to find the fob isnt working. Typical I know! So i put the key in the door and try to turn, thinking to myself, dont snap it off you idiot. Rolling Eyes And why didnt you replace that battery!!!

End up going back inside, boil the kettle, pour over door handle, (i know im inviting rust to say hello, ill drown it in GT85 later) and eventually it turns and unlocks! Hurrah!!

So i open all the doors, (im no fool) and run back in to put the kettle and spare keys away. (not before emptying the contents of the kettle on her indoors' windscreen - brownie points indeed!! Thumbs Up Mr. Green )

Run out, get in and pull the doors shut, to finally set off quite annoyed.. Whilst the dogs looked at me with the most confused face ive seen for a long while! Dog Dog Neutral

So yeh, i suppose from now on i need to make sure its lubricated with WD or GT85 regularly....?

...or invest in a garage...? Big Cry Cheers
Doug Thumbs Up
Post #204396 22nd Jan 2013 6:52pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Having an estate, I get in through the rear door, & very inelegantly squirm into the drivers seat by sliding over from on top of the cubby box.

Once the engine is running, the side, doors, hand brake & door windows need to be thawed to free them for use. Hand brake usually frees first, then doors, finally windows. Shocked Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #204527 22nd Jan 2013 11:17pm
Generaldej

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Locked my defender this evening as usual using the key fob and now an then I test the drivers door to confirm its locked. On this occasion I was closer to the door behind the driver' s door so I tried this one. To my surprise it opened and the alarm sounded! It appears all the doors work on the central locking apart from this one. I wonder how long it's been like this- some days I have left valuable equipment in it and have assumed its all locked up. I've read few threads regarding possible causes (broken wire(s), stiction in the mechanism requiring lubrication etc) and will have a look this weekend assuming its not poring with rain again!
Post #206447 29th Jan 2013 12:08am
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
dhopable wrote:
(not before emptying the contents of the kettle on her indoors' windscreen - brownie points indeed!! Thumbs Up Mr. Green )

Lucky it never went 'crack!'
Post #206448 29th Jan 2013 12:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1