Home > In Car Electronics > TV Module & Aerial Positioning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
TV Module & Aerial Positioning
Hi,

Has anyone on here had experience of fitting a TV module to their Head Unit?

Where and what are the best aerials to use for reception?

I have a Clarion set up which I bought before I joined this forum otherwise I would have gone for an Alpine or a Kenwood which everyone else seems to have!
Post #204650 23rd Jan 2013 1:00pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Quote:
I have a Clarion set up which I bought before I joined this forum otherwise I would have gone for an Alpine or a Kenwood which everyone else seems to have!

If its a Clarion N*501 (or earlier model) then you have yourself a decent bit of kit (same as mine) You must have a liking for modern looking clear graphics, ipad style swipe screen, everything in the box for decent money and a customer service/technical centre in Swindon who actually answer the phone and speak clear English Thumbs Up Good purchase

I'd be inclined to give them a ring and see what they suggest, I spoke to Mike a couple of times pre purchase and he was more than happy to ring me back and discuss the setup of the iPhone mirroring I wanted to do. This BTW allows you to watch TV (catchup/iplayer etc) on the screen via your iPhone/ipad (might work with android as well) amongst other things like memory map (not sure you can do that on Kenwood/Alpine or Pioneer - in fact I know you can't as I've tried it)

You might well find this system would work for what you want, if you need any info on that pm me.

Their number is 01793 859560 (I have a mobile as well but I think that's personal so try the landline first).

Cheers

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #204695 23rd Jan 2013 1:58pm
smb

Help much appreciated
Hi DJ,

Thanks for those details. I didn't phone customer services as I thought I would be put through to a call centre Crying or Very sad !!

You are right. I have the NZ501E with the separate TV module mounted on the passenger side behind the footwell(only place I could find out of harms way). I have mounted the two stick-on aerials horizontally pointing to each other on the windscreen. I find if I am parked in an open space I get good reception with most channels, but if I turn the car 90Deg I loose reception on most of the channels with the ones I have left being interrupted. The instructions didn't say whether there would be a difference them being horizontal, vertical, pointing towards each other or away from each other.....

I have only set it up to an iPhone via bluetooth, but have just got the dedicated cable to fit.

How do you get films to play via the usb connection? None of my films on itunes will even be recognised on it.

How have you dealt with the speakers and do you have an amp, etc...

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Post #204705 23rd Jan 2013 2:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
D J has pretty much summed it up for you. Don't worry either about not having Alpine or Kenwood. Clarion are a good brand and never heard of any issues. Good quality and modern to boot. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #204712 23rd Jan 2013 2:51pm
d j hutton

Hi Steve

Good choice Thumbs Up

Here's a thread which shows it all working. [url] http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic12571....rion[/url]

I fitted the Clarion powered sub which although not mega bass, is a good addition to the standard LR speakers (used on the svx I believe), all connections made from back of hU and loom. Great choice of crossover setup on both the sub and the HU, so you can tailor the sound to suit your music/ears.

Can't remember how the iPhone works playing movies, but I got it to play music videos by cable connection - didn't try bluetooth but will when I get 5 mins (assuming you have the handbrake on - or else 'wired it up wrong' - pm me on that)

To watch TV or anything else from the iPhone on the HU screen you need a cable, jailbroken phone with display out program from cydia (or a 4/5 which have video/tv out I believe - mines a 3gs).

Re the TV aerials I don't know as I didn't get that set up. I'd give them a ring to see what they say - its not a call centre and they seem to know what they are on about. If you have a heated screen that might interfere with the signal? I have a digital tv system on a laptop somewhere and that aerial was a flat one which you had to direct in a certain direction, so maybe it only works when pointing in the direction as the satellite? I'm sure someone will have a better idea on that than me.

Re - ipod cables - I bought the apple one which works well and is a nice soft rubber so won't go brittle and break (my old satnav cable eventually gave up the ghost, but only a few pounds to replace), also an aftermarket one from ebay which is a bit stiffer and seems to have lasted well for a lot less money. Both are connected as there are two separate inputs for aux in, front and back plus the usb on the back.

I'll let you know how the iPhone video works when I get a chance to try it again.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html

Last edited by d j hutton on 26th Jan 2013 2:01pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #204718 23rd Jan 2013 3:04pm
smb

Good, interesting thread.

What model of speakers did you get in the end?

Bought mine from the same people. Delivered within 2 days of paying for it and very helpful.

Hadn't thought about 'mirroring' the screen from the iPhone. Will try that out this evening. Hope it works as it would be great to have.

Thanks for all your advice Bow down
Post #204723 23rd Jan 2013 3:21pm
smb

Good, interesting thread.

What model of speakers did you get in the end?

Bought mine from the same people. Delivered within 2 days of paying for it and very helpful.

Hadn't thought about 'mirroring' the screen from the iPhone. Will try that out this evening. Hope it works as it would be great to have.

Thanks for all your advice Bow down
Post #204733 23rd Jan 2013 3:42pm
d j hutton

I have the standard LR speakers (rear ones turned right down for the benefit of the dog)

Subwoofer is the Clarion SRV313 and that fits under the middle row of seats nicely. Decent weighty aluminium case (or should that be enclosure?) so no cheapo plastic to crack. Works a treat.

Camera on there as well - used a Sony for that.

The manual is a little scant on detail on the two aux inputs, it infers that only the rear one does video (the designated iPod/iphone one), but the front one also handles video as well via 3.5mm three way jack adaptor. I can't remember where I go that adaptor from, took a bit of finding. That works with the iPhone nicely as well. The usb connector on the rear only appears to charge the iPhone rather than transmitting any data.

If you have a later iPhone, then I think you'll find that 'video out' is enabled for certain modes. videos, movies etc, but if you want to view memory map or tv playback then you might need a jailbreak/cydia app to achieve that. Don't have a new iPhone so can't be 100% sure though.

Let us know how you get on.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #204734 23rd Jan 2013 3:45pm
smb

Thanks, will do.

Where did you mount your camera?

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #204741 23rd Jan 2013 4:08pm
d j hutton

In one of the spare holes in the crossmember, perfect size but not quite the perfect position as the angle of view just misses out the tow ball at the moment, but I have some angled 'shims' to put in there to change it a bit when the weather warms up.

Probably the best position (for a bracket mounted camera) would be above the tow ball angled down a bit, but that would be in the way a little when accessing the rear door. Some mount above the washer jets but again you can't see the tow ball due to the spare wheel, so there isn't an ideal place.

One other thing to take into account as that if the camera is mounted vertically in line with the body (so you get an equal amount of road and sky) then with most cameras you would get an under exposed picture a lot of the time, as it compensates for the extra brightness of the sky compared to the road. So best to be angled down a fair bit so that there is a lot more road than sky in the picture, otherwise you are relying heavily on the head unit to brighten it up a bit. Generally mine is ok but on bright days the road part of the view can be a little dark.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #204749 23rd Jan 2013 4:34pm
smb

Blimey DJ, You know your stuff Bow down

Iv'e got a Kenwood camera which will hopefully work ok for the rear. I may even get one for the passenger side front to see where I am steering to, but that's a job for another time.

Apart from reversing into tight spaces it will be mainly used for aligning the tow hitch up when I am on my own. Its practically impossible to move a trailer hitch when it has been standing in a field for 6 months!!

Thanks for all your advice. I am going to print it all off and read through it thoroughly as I think I have learned quite a bit from this thread and the one you posted.

Cheers mate Thumbs Up . Good one
Post #204767 23rd Jan 2013 5:58pm
d j hutton

Quick update on iPod/iPhone connections.

Front aux - video and sound. iPhone connected via 4 way 3.5mm adaptor, plays iPod video on screen, control via the iPod/phone

Rear Aux - lost my connector duh, so going from memory will play iPod video and music, control via the hu

Rear USB - iPod/phone music controlled via HU with full album artwork etc, also charges iPhone.

Front aux connected as above with jail broken phone, display or tv out program, sb rotator program, will display everything on the iPhone, music,video,tv catchup, memory map, tomtom (if you want an alternative satnav to the built in one) read emails,texts when parked up,google earth etc. May well work with without jailbreak if its a newer iPhone .
Looks like BBC iplayer works on 3G but not 4od for some reason (only on wifi which isn't very useful)

Bluetooth audio - plays the sound but tracks playlists selected from iPhone, no track info shown but that may be just my phone/music setup as there is provision for it - mine shows 'unknown' controls for track skip,play,stop pause etc work for HU

So a good range of options , my choice would be iPhone connected via USB to get full info, artwork etc and charge phone at same time. Bluetooth 2nd choice for less distracting display, charge via usual connector

Phew

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #205521 26th Jan 2013 2:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
d j hutton wrote:

So a good range of options , my choice would be iPhone connected via USB to get full info, artwork etc and charge phone at same time. Bluetooth 2nd choice for less distracting display, charge via usual connector

Phew

Dj

How are you connecting your iPod / iPhone to your HU from the front or rear as mine is? Always worry with front USB sockets that they'll get smacked and that ends up very expensive indeed. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #205528 26th Jan 2013 3:16pm
d j hutton

custom90steve wrote:
d j hutton wrote:

Phew

Dj

How are you connecting your iPod / iPhone to your HU from the front or rear as mine is? Always worry with front USB sockets that they'll get smacked and that ends up very expensive indeed.

Generally speaking to the USB and/or aux sockets at the rear, when I want music etc. if I want to see everything else I connect the the front 3.5 mm aux on the front using a 90 degree plug, quite safe there I think. That's one of the reasons I choose this model because the USB was at the rear so if you wanted to put in a memory stick it wasn't going to get busted off.

When I installed it I added extensions cables on all the rear inputs and routed them to the shelf under the steering wheel, so safe and tidy.

Dj

TBH I haven't tried a USB stick with music as I have enough elsewhere 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #205532 26th Jan 2013 3:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Very good. I agree with your set up it's ideal. I also don't use a USB stick only iPod for music. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #205550 26th Jan 2013 4:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>