↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Is there a main circuit breaker off the Puma's battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Is there a main circuit breaker off the Puma's battery?
Is there some form of major circuit breaker on the Puma (08MY) that would trip the power circuit from the battery and not reset until de-energised?

This is what has happened:
Turn the key starter gives a micro-second burp and then entire electrics on the Puma are dead, nothing, no lights, horn, locks, windows, fans, nothing - it's dead. Disconnect the battery terminals then reconnect and all is OK.

This has happened twice now in the last week. I've put it down to a dead short on the starter and have ordered a replacement. I've check the earths and everything is nice and clean and tight. So I suspect it to be the starter causing the issue, but it seems there must be some other safeguard on the battery circuit that cuts out or is this all back to the starter wiring? 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #201013 12th Jan 2013 2:47am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
there is a mega fuse on the battery that goes to the starter, i don't know if there is a circuit breaker. sounds like the starter motor is fubar'd
Post #201047 12th Jan 2013 11:07am
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Battery terminals definately have a good and tight connection?

Earth connection good at other end of negative battery lead?
Post #201051 12th Jan 2013 11:23am
dm_td5

Yes, terminals and earth all checked along with leads and earth to transfer case. All tight and clean.

I'm not sure of that fuseable link on the battery either but it doesn't look like it would have anything like a breaker.

New starter motor is on its way so I just have to hope the Puma stays like this until it arrives. Just seems strange de-energising resets something. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #201061 12th Jan 2013 12:00pm
Lorryman100

I would stick a DMM Amp clamp on the starter lead and a DMM on the battery terminals and get some one to crank the Puma, that way you will see if the starter is getting current or not and at what amperage is being drawn, also what the battery load is under cranking. Then you can tell if the fault is at the starter, batteries, earth leads or if there is no current at the starter but the dash lights are still on check the immobilizer circuit. Thumbs Up

Brian.
Post #201062 12th Jan 2013 12:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dm_td5

There's nothing on the dash, everything is dead and plugging in to the diagnostic port showed no power in that either.

But what you say makes me think perhaps it is all just in the starter circuit until I disconnect the battery. I don't have a DMM clamp, but can get hold of one. If it is a sticking solenoid on the starter (do they still have them?) then that could explain it. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #201065 12th Jan 2013 12:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1