↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > MP's Salary
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
MP's Salary
MPs have suggested a 32% hike in their pay to the Commons expenses watchdog, it has been revealed.

Members said they deserved an £86,250 salary in an anonymous survey conducted by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).

The research also found more than a third think they should keep final salary pensions.

The survey found that 69% of MPs thought they were underpaid on their current salary of £65,738.

The average level suggested for the appropriate level of pay was £86,250.

On average, Tories said their salary should be £96,740, while Lib Dems thought the right amount was £78,361 and Labour £77,322. Other parties put the figure at £75,091

MPs have a funded final salary pension scheme; they pay a fixed contribution and the Exchequer(Sorry the taxpayer) is liable for the balance.

Now if you asked any group of workers do they think their pay should go up, then it is obvious most would say yes.

Now MPs get a good salary compared to most people and they have a good pension scheme.

Please remind me but isn't it MPs who are telling us that we must cut the national debt, that we are all in it together, that the country can not afford final salary pension scheme etc?

Or is it a case of do as I say, not what I do?

Brendan
Post #200631 10th Jan 2013 9:01pm
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
Ridiculous.

They should be volunteers, and receive only reasonable expenses. After all, they are there to serve their communities, for the love of it, not the pay.
Post #200647 10th Jan 2013 9:37pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I think i might "suggest" a 32% pay hike at work tomorrow,i wonder what the response will be ! 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #200682 10th Jan 2013 10:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Lou Sparts wrote:
I think i might "suggest" a 32% pay hike at work tomorrow,i wonder what the response will be !

Something along the lines

"Clear your desk, you know where the door is, collect your cards on the way out"

Brendan
Post #200704 10th Jan 2013 11:08pm
Nick T

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I've give over bothering. Nothing will change. Getting wound up doesn't help me so it's head down and arse up. Just keep working Rolling Eyes
Post #200705 10th Jan 2013 11:09pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Hey Brendan how long have you known my boss ? 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #200708 10th Jan 2013 11:14pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
For their level of responsibility, maybe they are under paid but NOW is the time to bring it up, two days after they capped all public sector pay and payments? Are they mad?
Post #200730 11th Jan 2013 12:53am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
What responsibility do they have? If anything goes wrong they just say "sorry I'll resign see you". They can even get away with steeling our money because they know if they get caught all they have to say is "sorry I'll pay it back never mind" anyone else who did that would be in prison for fraud!!!
Post #200738 11th Jan 2013 2:03am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
They should be paid £50,000 flat rate and the rest by results assessed by Joe Public - that should sharpen up their priorities Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #200740 11th Jan 2013 2:17am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Just to add a different point of view......Anybody can become an MP, there is nothing stopping any of you.

You have to take time your own time to become one, have a point of view you care about it and then campaign, you do this bit without being paid.

Once you achieve enough votes from members of the public you take up office.*

You may have to give up your job.

Apathy stops most people doing this.

I don't think all MPs are self serving, I think a lot do it because at some point they wanted to make a difference and influence a change they believed in.**

I think the current salary is low for this role in society, compare it to a tube driver pay, a middle IT manager, even high level Civil Servants etc. This lead to the expenses scandal where most MPs saw it of a way of topping up a low salary for the role they do. An MP (should) represent the peoples voice in the commons and that's a lot of responsibility. There are 650? MPs we really should want the best people in these jobs influencing our society and a 60k salary won't do that.***

*This is kinda knackered up by the self serving career politicians who shift constituencies to safe seats in order to further a career etc.

** It's not all black and white, there is good and bad as in all walks of life

*** Government is very emotive, we all love to hate it but very few do anything about it. Bit like shouting at Carlton Cole when he played for England. He might have been a bit Censored but he's done more for English Football than I ever have.
Post #200779 11th Jan 2013 11:41am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Hmmm I kind of agree with a lot of the above...

AndyS
Quote:
For their level of responsibility, maybe they are under paid but NOW is the time to bring it up,

- yes very bad timing

mk1
Quote:
If anything goes wrong they just say "sorry I'll resign see you". They can even get away with steeling our money because they know if they get caught all they have to say is "sorry I'll pay it back never mind" anyone else who did that would be in prison for fraud!!!

- yep - central govt and local govt cock it up constantly. If I did that in my job I would be sacked. These prats seem to survive and make many, many cock-ups - all at our expense - and then get a golden handshake and a nice pension ... all at our expense again.

Living in Edinburgh, we've had the tram works, and the scottish parliament - both massively over budget, and farsical...but yet the politicians all survive and get well paid, and a comfy pension... Evil or Very Mad

News here

There is one bit of fun tho...

One think, central & local govt almost makes Fred Goodwin's cosk-up seem minor by comparison! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #200782 11th Jan 2013 11:57am
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I think the MP's should be paid the average wage, that way they will get there arses into gear and stop wasting so much money. I dont think they would be so keen on sending so much money to other countrys as aid and reinvest it in this country giving us a better future, after all its our country and our money we pay in taxes, why should we send it somewhere else? By giving third world countrys more aid all they do is have more children which makes the problems worse. I know its cruel and not a nice thing but this planet is getting over populated, if we keep going like this were ALL going to end up in a lot of trouble in no time at all. And im not saying that is the only way the government waste our money, but it is one of many more.

Pete.
Post #200789 11th Jan 2013 12:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willyj

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
... Guido fawkes... He knew a thing or two about parliment Whistle

(Not meaning anything by it with the above!)
Post #200811 11th Jan 2013 1:34pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think that their salaries should be determined by the electorate and performance-related, i.e. each year an MP's constituents decide what percentage of the basic salary shoull actually be paid to their MP (capped at 100% of course). The total could then be adjustent again according to how many consituents actually bother to express an opinion (ie if only 10% did, the MP only gets 10% of the recommended amount). Before long the MP would work very hard to represent the people he/she's supposed to.

I would also completely revamp the expenses system for MPs to get them into the real world. If I need a new TV, I pay. Why should an MP get one on expenses.

The whole lot of them make me sick!
Post #200813 11th Jan 2013 1:44pm
daviec1

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
FWIW I think MPs should have a HUGE pay rise.

But it would come with conditions.

Firstly, 650 odd of them is far too many - around 500 is plenty.

Fixed, flat annual wage of £100,000 - no expenses, allowances, extras anywhere. i don't get paid to get my backside to work, neither should they. 10% extra for cabinet positions. PM gets £120k.

If they are going on ORGANISED, veted foreign trips, for example, then it would get paid directly to organising company, so only their wages actually goes to MPs.

Secondly, you have to commit to, health problems excluded, a minimum single 5 year term. This resigning halfway through is rubbish.

Thirdly, you lose pension, wages everything if you are successfully prosecuted for ANY criminal offense, no matter the punishment handed out by courts.

Forthly, if a certain % (at least 50%) of your constituency think, for whatever reason, you need to be fired, they can force an immediate recall election.

Finally, you MUST, repeat, MUST before you can stand for election be firstly able to pass the basic UK citizenship test (you would be amazed how many folk, of all colours, creeds, races etc cannot do this), speak & read English fluently & correctly, and conduct yourself in a manner reflecting the fact that you are repreenting 65 million people, at ALL times.

It should be a massive HONOUR and somethign to aim for to govern this country - not something we all snigger at & complain about. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #200822 11th Jan 2013 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>