↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting an X-Eng Gear lock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Quote:
The yellow lock body is a very tight fit on the leather-clad XS transfer gear knob. It's not the end of the world but does mean that fitting requires slightly more effort than probably envisaged.

Yep, I had exactly the same issue with the leather clad transfer box knob and in my opinion at least, it was far too tight a fit to work easily/quickly as envisaged, so I switched over to a standard knob (with a suitable email to Si about the girth of my knob Shocked Thumbs Up ). Once you get the 'knack' it's effortless to put on and take off. A very good bit of kit Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I hope Si won't mind me saying this but he tells me he'd designed the unit with the smaller non leather clad knob in mind as that was what was fitted to his own XS truck . To move up to a slightly larger set of concentric tubing would have required a significant special order vs the stock tubing, so the costs would have been prohibitive no doubt. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #199500 6th Jan 2013 8:10pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ericvv wrote:
If you would have to choose between this X-Defend Gear Lock and an Ard'Case (covering all three pedals), which one of those two gives better protection we think?

I wouldn't choose....for the cost of both items to protect your pride and joy the 'layered approach' is the best in my view, especially taking recent figures into account (see thread link below). Purchasing several security items is surely better at compromising some toe rag's chances of theft than scrimping and losing it perhaps? Irrespective of security devices for very little outlay access to the vehicle itself can be made more difficult. Gear locks, barrel locks and pedal locks and an OEM alarm won't stop your doors, seats and/or bonnet going.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17212.html?highlight=layered If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #199597 6th Jan 2013 11:23pm
TomB8

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
Hi,

I just bought one of these, along with the lock barrel protector thing, but I can't for the life of me get it to fit on easily when the gator is in place. It does just about easily fit with the gator off, but the extra height of the gator pushes the cut outs out of alignment. I kind of have to force the silver section around the gearstick which, even if I put tape on it, is going to wear through the paint after a very short time.

I have adjusted my nuts right to the end of their travel, tried taking the splined connector off the transfer lever but the lever was as far back as it would go, tried moving the gearstick around on it's splines but it will not fit. I feel like the transfer lever needs to be higher.

Oh, and it will most certainly not work in 5th gear. Needs to be in 3rd to be anywhere close.

Does anyone have any tips, please?

Click image to enlarge
Post #990014 23rd Apr 2023 1:15am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
This might sound like a stupid question but do you know what gearbox you have fitted, R380 or LT77? It should be the former for your vehicle's year but the problem you're describing sound like you're trying to fit the lock for the R380 to an LT77 gearbox. The lock for the latter looks like this and the 'crank' in the body is because of the different relative positions of the main and transfer boxes gearsticks.

Can you post a wider picture and also one of the gear knob?

Here are a couple of pictures of when I had one of these on my old TD5 (with R380 'box) with and without the gator:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #990031 23rd Apr 2023 10:32am
LandRoverAnorak

I've just realised that I started this thread ten years ago Shocked and have reinstated the pictures in the original post that disappeared during the Photobucket debacle that took place a few years later. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #990033 23rd Apr 2023 10:39am
TomB8

Hi, thank you for reinstating the photos! I will have a look this afternoon.

I am pretty sure I have an R380. Photos below.

Just been thinking that perhaps adjusting the transfer knob forward might raise it up a little. The instructions only mention moving the lever back, perhaps in my haste I have missed the obvious.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #990057 23rd Apr 2023 1:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hmm, definitely R380 so it will just be trying to find the right adjustment to make it fit, I'm afraid. Darren

Post #990072 23rd Apr 2023 5:12pm
TomB8

Thank you again for reinstating your photographs it was really helpful to see a good photo of the thing fitted. I have managed to get the lock to fit with the gearbox in 5th, although it is still a bit of a tight fiddly fit. I may just take the edges off the part that goes around the gearstick which will give a fraction more clearance.
Post #990238 25th Apr 2023 12:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12