↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Centre dash lighting. (bulb change) With pictures.
Did you find this guide useful?
Yes.
81%
 81%  [43]
Perhaps, I've not done it / had to do it yet.
16%
 16%  [9]
I got LR to do it for me.
1%
 1%  [1]
Total Votes: 53

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Ah, you mean the little round thingy on the knob of the slider?

I think that this is done with a fibre-optic "pipe" through the knob, which catches the light from the bulb. I am pretty sure that there are no connections into the knob.

I have my entire dash in bits at the moment to wire up my heated screen, so if I remember I will have a look when I put it all back together tomorrow.

My earlier comments about the unsuitability of LEDs refer of course to the use of LEDs to replace the little capless bulbs (I tried it and it didn't work - I just got a number of very bright spots on an otherwise dark heater control panel).

I have a complete heater control panel sat on my desk in front of me and can confirm there are four bulbs as described by Steve and no LEDS or any other illumination. The green 'dots' are illuminated by those bulbs through various green 'windows'
Post #193463 14th Dec 2012 3:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
FG - Did you get this sorted out now? Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #201439 13th Jan 2013 5:25pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Top Tip!
As mentioned by Steve in step 4 a drinking straw is a much less brutal way of getting the bulb out as if the glass breaks the base can be a real PITA to extract. I replace loads of 'P' bulbs in the course of my work and always have a few straws to hand in my kit.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #201452 13th Jan 2013 6:09pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
K9F (Mal) - It was you mentioning it previously as to why I mentioned it on here. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #201455 13th Jan 2013 6:11pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I know Steve but it can't be emphasised enough.....Pliers on a glass bulb always makes me cringe! What could possibly go wrong?
Shocked Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #201466 13th Jan 2013 6:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Let's just say once things .... up once you don't do it again so you get a feel for these things. Laughing Surprised there isn't an extraction tool for it. LR could then over charge for it. Whistle Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #201468 13th Jan 2013 6:24pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Searched but could not find details on the head light levelling switch,
I took mine to the dealers as it didnt illuminate, firstly they didnt believe it had height adjustable head lights! so I had to show them, they then allegedly ordered a new part (i thought it would be a bulb!), when the new part came in I took the car back to be fixed. Ive just got it back after the alleged repair and still the head light levelling switch does not light up, can someone confirm if thiers does?

thanks in advance DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #231220 28th Apr 2013 6:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would but I'm afraid mine doesn't have it. Others will do and no doubt will lend a hand. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #231234 28th Apr 2013 7:38pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
The head light leveling switch itself does not light up. The vertical band with the four positions 0 1 2 3 on it does light up green when the parking lights are turned on. You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #231248 28th Apr 2013 8:09pm
AlisterC

Wales 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Indus Silver
Nice guide Steve.... I think I'll still be coming back to you to have it done if and when needed though !

Speak soon

Alister
Post #231299 28th Apr 2013 9:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
AlisterC wrote:
Nice guide Steve.... I think I'll still be coming back to you to have it done if and when needed though !

Speak soon

Alister

Cheers Alister. I did this guide earlier on in the year. I thought as I had to do my own I may as well help some others out in the process and do a guide.
Any more mods planned yet? Razz

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #231313 28th Apr 2013 10:45pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
ericvv wrote:
The head light leveling switch itself does not light up. The vertical band with the four positions 0 1 2 3 on it does light up green when the parking lights are turned on.

thanks something wrong with mine then as no light in that area Doh! DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #231335 29th Apr 2013 6:08am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
custom90steve wrote:
FG - Did you get this sorted out now? Thumbs Up

hi Steve, sorry i missed your post.

The dealer sorted it out under warrenty (all sliders now brightly lit) but when they refitted the dash panel they must have misalligned the heater temp dial as i can no longer rotate it across to the cold setting. Confused

i have been waiting for the weather to warm up before i recify this in the garage one evening
Post #231352 29th Apr 2013 9:32am
custom90

United Kingdom 
LR90 - Does indeed sound like a blown bulb to me. Thumbs Up

F-G - No worries... I would imagine there is a cable trapped to the rear that is causing the controls to jam. I actually broke the cable on the re-circulating slider control once. Shocked Had to replace it.
Photo:

Click image to enlarge

As you can see the cable bent rather than going back into the cable sheath it had had it by this stage so a new one had to go in. Cost me and did it myself. No doubt if I go someone to do it even though it was a simple job I'd have been about 50 lighter. Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #231368 29th Apr 2013 11:06am
spudfan

Ireland 
I did this this morning. I put the gear lever in reverse to give me more room, Then I removed the radio. This was easy as I'd just got a new radio last week so I had removal keys to fit. I undid the torx screws then used a flat blade screw driver to ease out the dash one side at a time. Two at each side , then the bottom then the top. It comes out very easily. I only removed the plug at the back of the head light levelling dial and another one near it. I couldn't get the clock connection off soI worked in the slack I had.
I managed to remove the dead bulb for the slider controls THROUGH the aperture for the slider with a needle nose pliers. I fitted the replacement in the same way then put my hand under the removed dash and pushed it home.
There was a second bulb needing replacement, UNFORTUNATELY I didn't notice this until I backed the Land Rover into the shed and tried the lights! I assumed one bulb lit up the slider and the numbers but it is two.
So dash and radio out again.
This time I could get my hand in to remove the bulb holder backwards then pulling it forwards and changing the bulb then refitting the holder. Radio and dash back in, quick test and all was well.So all I need to do now is to get some more bulbs.
P.S. I had a nagging suspicion that I'd forgotten something. I had forgotten to reconnect the plug at the back of the headlight levelling dial. All I needed to do was to remove the torx screws, pop the dash and reconnect the plug then just pop the dash back and refit the torx screws.
Anyway all is well so if a bulb or two goes don't be afreaid to tackle this. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #511288 6th Mar 2016 1:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>