↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Which Modifications?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Which Modifications?
...............and will use the car recreationally, enjoy some offroad trails, go camping and perhaps take some longer roads trips.

mods i have in mind are:
Central Locking - would be nice to have But not essential

Waxoyl underside. YES

New AT tyres - Probably -- Wrangler AT/SA 235/85 R16 Q -- any good?
New Wheels

What condition/age are existing tyres/wheels in? If tyres are in good condition keep them

Remove load bay seats - should i sell these? Are you likely to need them in the future? Have space to store them?

Waxoyl floor and then add sound-proofing. Waxoyl floor? Do doors and bulkhead.

New moulded matting from http://www.wrightoffroad.com/

Electric Windows - anyone recommend a good kit? Why?

Uprated ARB. Why?

Remap. Why?

Brighter headlamps. Good road legal LED headlights do not come cheap! Improve wiring or bulbs. Decent additional extra driving lights are another option.

Rear door card (trim). if in bad condition

Side bar step - too high for the little springer. Rock and Tree sliders

Rear step. If needed

Roll cage. Good ones cost about a grand, not really needed for road trips.

Anyone have ideas of how to make this list cheaper, easier or have any thoughts on missing items?

Things you have missed off

Physical security, disc lock, pedal lock, gear lever lock, hidden cut off switch

Tracking device?

Underbody protection?

Yes your possible shopping list can easily runaway with itself!

First I would consider protection of vehicle from theft, the elements and abuse from the driving conditions other road users.

Brendan
Post #191980 9th Dec 2012 10:13am
adiep

Gibraltar 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Go Beyond wrote:
You can add aftermarket traction aids, diff lockers etc, there are a variety available, use the search feature on this forum for more info. I don't think you can add ABS at a reasonable cost, if at all

do any of these help prevent brakes locking in a skid? i wanted the abs for safety rather than the traction control function. I thought I already had a diff locker, what do these do thats not already there in that little gear lever?
Post #191987 9th Dec 2012 10:56am
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Think of your vehicle as having the ability to lock the front and rear propshaft together - this is the Centre Diff Lock. You can still get stuck if one front wheel, and the opposite side rear wheel, loose traction.

You can fit Axle Diff Locks (ARB brand, amongst others) which will lock both halves of the axle together. This will mean that both wheels on an axle will keep turning if one looses traction.

Unneccessary on 90% of Defenders in my opinion, if you have good tyres. My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #191989 9th Dec 2012 11:05am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I wouldn't be too fussed about ABS. There are hundreds of thousands of Defenders out there driving every day without ABS and without issue. The ETC is a nice benefit, certainly a very clever system, but I wouldn't go to the trouble of adding it to an existing vehicle.

Personally I think the vehicle is fit for the purpose you describe already. Just get out and drive it, you'll soon find out if there are any things you need to add for the use you're putting it to!
Post #191996 9th Dec 2012 12:25pm
Regard

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
I know it doesn't mean much but on TopiX it states that mine is a NON-CAT moddel.........well I can show you a pic of the cat I removed....... Rolling Eyes

Do not trust what is written on TopiX....it is a useless, outdated system LR uses no more.

If you have ABS and TC there will be 2 yellow indicators that is illuminated at start up. The one will be (ABS) written in yellow. This will go off after driving a second or two....

T\C also in yellow will go off as soon as you start the motor.

I'm afraid that if you do not see these lamps you do not have them..........
Post #191997 9th Dec 2012 12:40pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I've just been out and taken a picture of mine but can't get it on here, my phone won't talk to photobucket Rolling Eyes On your picture(near side front taken from by the mudflap) what you can see is the flexible brake hose with the yellow clips on. The abs sensor wire should pass down in the yellow clips and attatch to the top bracket of the swivel housing passing internally to the sensor that reads the pulses from the toothed ring on the inside of the brake disc. Sorry to say that it appears yours is not there.
Post #192002 9th Dec 2012 12:54pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I have just checked my vehicle on TOPIx and it doesn't say anything about ABS or TC Confused But I know it has it.

I am guessing without Electric windows or locking you have the base model (County has electrics as standard but not ABS and XS has everything), this means you will not have ABS or TC unless it was added as an optional extra at time of purchase (About 2,000 Euros).

For the price of adding ABS/TC you would be able to buy a decent set of tires (since running 285s I have never locked up on the road- just had to peel myself off the windscreen) and add some ARB lockers or auto diffs which will out preform ETC off-road.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #192075 9th Dec 2012 7:23pm
adiep

Glynparry25 wrote:
I have just checked my vehicle on TOPIx and it doesn't say anything about ABS or TC Confused But I know it has it.

I am guessing without Electric windows or locking you have the base model (County has electrics as standard but not ABS and XS has everything), this means you will not have ABS or TC unless it was added as an optional extra at time of purchase (About 2,000 Euros).

For the price of adding ABS/TC you would be able to buy a decent set of tires (since running 285s I have never locked up on the road- just had to peel myself off the windscreen) and add some ARB lockers or auto diffs which will out preform ETC off-road.

Glyn Dog Sheep

Do 285's fit on 16inch wheels? seems damn wide ! I have 235 on right now, will wider really help in stopping and not skidding? it will add more noise and fuel consumption too??

The problem with these diff lockers are that you have to turn them on... i dont see how that really compared to ETC.
Post #192099 9th Dec 2012 8:08pm
Glynparry25

Here you go ref differentials:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/in...p;catId=88

Basically they are fit and forget.

The 285s should be fitted to slightly wider rims (16x8 rather than LR 16x7). But you could fit 265/75/16 or 255/85/16 to the standard wheels and be fully within specifications.

Why not go out and find a nice straight piece of road (not the one across the runway Wink ) and see how hard it is to get the truck to lock up. If you are going larger the surface contact area will increase therefore making it harder to lock.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #192107 9th Dec 2012 8:20pm
adiep

Glynparry25 wrote:
Here you go ref differentials:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/in...p;catId=88

Basically they are fit and forget.

The 285s should be fitted to slightly wider rims (16x8 rather than LR 16x7). But you could fit 265/75/16 or 255/85/16 to the standard wheels and be fully within specifications.

Why not go out and find a nice straight piece of road (not the one across the runway Wink ) and see how hard it is to get the truck to lock up. If you are going larger the surface contact area will increase therefore making it harder to lock.

Glyn Dog Sheep

Well on friday i had it lock up 5 times, in damp conditions. thats with the following:
235/86/16
different tyres on front and rear
rear tyre pressure at 46psi

i dropped tyre pressure and think I should probably have same tyre front and back? is it important?

I was looking at 265's... are the 285's noisy?
Post #192121 9th Dec 2012 8:49pm
Glynparry25

The rule of thumb is that you should match tires Left and right....... front and rear isn't quite so crucial.

I have 285 BFG Mud terrains (old type), and I don't think the noise is that noticeable- just a little over wind noise. But then A/Ts will be quieter. I know there are loads of threads on this forum about how noisy tires are. Maybe 255/85 will suit your needs a little more?

Sounds like the previous owner didn't have a clue Confused. What make/ type of tires has it got fitted?- if they are cheap or old that could be a cause of some of the problems.

I am guessing from my last visit there (About 96-97ish) that the roads are probably the same as here, where they get really slippery with the initial rain of the year?

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #192130 9th Dec 2012 9:03pm
adiep

interesting article with some nice maths, stating that narrow tyres with lower pressure work better than wide tyres in the wet.

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog/do-wi...r-a88.html
Post #192154 9th Dec 2012 10:02pm
adiep

Glynparry25 wrote:
The rule of thumb is that you should match tires Left and right....... front and rear isn't quite so crucial.

I have 285 BFG Mud terrains (old type), and I don't think the noise is that noticeable- just a little over wind noise. But then A/Ts will be quieter. I know there are loads of threads on this forum about how noisy tires are. Maybe 255/85 will suit your needs a little more?

Sounds like the previous owner didn't have a clue Confused. What make/ type of tires has it got fitted?- if they are cheap or old that could be a cause of some of the problems.

I am guessing from my last visit there (About 96-97ish) that the roads are probably the same as here, where they get really slippery with the initial rain of the year?

Glyn Dog Sheep

Previous owner was a lease company who leased the car to Andalusia forestry commission, suspect the dealer has chopped and changed the tryes.

Yes, agreed, slippy on first rain fall, but this was insanely bad, i was just touching the brakes and they were locking. Think it was down to tyre preesure and different tyres on front and back. Today in the dry, I did a couple of full-on emergency stops and it dug in and stopped really well, but i had reduced the pressure and it was dry...

i have a 4 year old son, so im kind of allergic to the idea of a high speed crash in the wet, i'll look for some 265/75's that are good in the wet - the BF AT ones seem to have a good EU rating.

BTW, that EU tyre rating thing has to be the best thing the EU has ever come up with !!
Post #192155 9th Dec 2012 10:02pm
adiep

here is the car in question in its full vanilla glory

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TwBr...directlink

http://tinyurl.com/d6krgrg

sin ABS/ETC

TTFN

Last edited by adiep on 9th Dec 2012 11:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #192189 9th Dec 2012 11:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
adiep wrote:
here is the car in question in its full vanilla glory

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TwBr...directlink

sin ABS/ETC

TTFN

very nice! Stick some alloys on though eve if it's boosts. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #192193 9th Dec 2012 11:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>