↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Dads 110 Broken into
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Sory to hear that Chris.

Having a car broken into is somethiong I haven't experienced in a long time, but still remember how gutted I was and how useless the rozzers were once informed. It is more gutting that it has happened than losing what had been stolen.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #189733 30th Nov 2012 9:17am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Sorry to hear about this mate.

It would be interesting to hear from a serving Policeman on the forum what the official line is on there job description ...

Seems to me they are paid collectors of stealth tax from the motorist these days and crime fighting takes a back seat ....

I hope the poor guy breaking into your Dads 110 didn't hurt himself on the sharp bits otherwise he'll be taking you to Court !
Post #189738 30th Nov 2012 9:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
What gets me is why grind out rear door lock AND smash the rear sliding windows!

Just hope that no damage was done to the door frame!

The damage to the 110 will not be cheap to sort out to a good standard.

Want to improve society? more active policing, more realistic sentencing, which might mean more prison building so be it! If it means telling certain European institutes where to go, tell them!

Here's hoping your Dad gets minimal grief from insurance company.

Good luck and pass on forum's best wishes to your Dad.

Brendan
Post #189757 30th Nov 2012 10:39am
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Cheers Guys, i would have gone mental if it was mine but at the end of the day like dad said if they have the balls to watch you walk to the flat he is working in and then within the spilt second smash there way into the car there more than likely to have a knife/gun on them espeically London areas Rolling Eyes

Spot on Matt i have heard of a few like that- a burgular slipping on some roof tiles and claiming Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Brendan- not sure weather or not to go through insurance Confused Its either a new door or am thinking or repairing the original and putting a cap of some sort over the barrel 1) to hide the damage 2) for better security.
the window ive looked into and we may be able to dismantle the side window to replace the glass but best thing to do is pop it out over the weekend and check Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #189760 30th Nov 2012 10:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I believe that the Police "Service" (used to be a "Force" but not anymore) actually has a statutory duty to investigate a crime and cannot legally simply choose to give out a crime number and take no further action.

If there are any Police Officers on here who can comment (and of course are prepared to admit to being Police) it wodul be interesting to hear from them.
Post #189767 30th Nov 2012 11:50am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Not good to hear about any vehicle being broken into / damaged / stolen. Sad

However, rather than slag our country and slag the Police people should take heart from the FACT that crime in the UK, across the majority of types, is actually decreasing year on year, statistically and this country is NOT in fact any worse than it used to be. Car crime is one of the types of crime that is actually decreasing... http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/...-2011.html

Of course, when it happens to you and yours these statistics don't give any real comfort, but TBH I'm getting really sick and tired of people denigrating our country all the time. Yeah, there are problems but EVERY country has those - either the same as ours or different.

Let's all do our best to protect our vehicles (alarms, trackers, immobilsers, tinted windows, not leaving valuables in view, etc) but also stay positive and enjoy what we have! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #189770 30th Nov 2012 11:59am
TR51

France 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Sorry to hear that Chris Mad
Post #189772 30th Nov 2012 12:22pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Pam W wrote:
Not good to hear about any vehicle being broken into / damaged / stolen. Sad

However, rather than slag our country and slag the Police people should take heart from the FACT that crime in the UK, across the majority of types, is actually decreasing year on year, statistically and this country is NOT in fact any worse than it used to be. Car crime is one of the types of crime that is actually decreasing... http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/...-2011.html

Of course, when it happens to you and yours these statistics don't give any real comfort, but TBH I'm getting really sick and tired of people denigrating our country all the time. Yeah, there are problems but EVERY country has those - either the same as ours or different.

Let's all do our best to protect our vehicles (alarms, trackers, immobilsers, tinted windows, not leaving valuables in view, etc) but also stay positive and enjoy what we have!

Well said Pam

Its easy to blame the police however the real issue is the breakdown of family values, the Judicial system and Politicians. Judicial system is too lenient with the sentences handed out and the Politicians are too concerned with the Euro human rights brigade to take a harder stance. However things may be changing i.e. home owners using as much force as required to protect their homes, now if they can extend that to protecting your vehicle, scumbags might think twice !

I can assure you it is sole destroying to knick a car thief or scrote for breaking into a car only to keep knicking the same little shiit every other week for the same offence.

I may have knowledge of this from a previous life Wink

Killer - hope your Dad gets it sorted the cheapest possible way Thumbs Up 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #189774 30th Nov 2012 12:43pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Pam,

I'd like to agree.......but I'm struggling a little. I agree with where you're coming from from but agree fair more with Landlords comments.

if the same little scrote gets caught doing something like this twice either he or the poxy politicians than insist of such lenient sentences (or should I say slap on the wrist) should be knee capped !

The poxy EU in my opionion has a lot to answer for - bleeding us dry for one doesn't help.

- while we're at it.......is everyone stupid or what. why does everyone happily buy cheap shod from overseas ? I'm talking everything hear from labour to materials........we all end up paying in the end by higher taxes to support those out of work

blah blah arrgghh.

thanks for listening. Thumbs Up
Post #189775 30th Nov 2012 12:51pm
Pam W

I was in fact not saying anything about the political or judicial system or family values - that's what landlord mentioned in addition.

All I said was that statistically things are actually better than they used to be, not worse. That is stating a fact, not an opinion.

As for the judicial system, I'm not totally convinced it is all bad. I've worked with Young Offenders and it is very frustrating when they just don't 'get' what they have done is wrong. That is parents and family values, yes, but then again they are in the minority. In the city I work in the Youth Offending Team has won awards for its work with kids both before and after committing crimes and they have a fab track record in reducing first offending and re-offending. The local Police are also heavily involved in this kind of work and it has been proven to be working.

I also work with young people who are NOT offenders and there are more nice kids with nice families out there than the scummy ones! So, as I say, it is easy to just see the bad, but there is a helluva lot of good out there to be proud of and to promote and engage with. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Post #189776 30th Nov 2012 1:49pm
Pam W

PS. For some reason the UK has some of the lowest prices for tyres in the world. I can get Coopers in the UK for the same price or less than in the US where they are made! In Australia they are more than twice the price!. Wink

Sorry to hijack the thread Killer90, just trying to spread a little positivity! Hope your dad gets his 110 sorted and doesn't have anything else happen to it Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Post #189778 30th Nov 2012 1:53pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Caterham wrote:
The poxy EU in my opionion has a lot to answer for - bleeding us dry for one doesn't help.

We have very little car crime around here, the police (with guns) are rather frightening if you've done something wrong and it's hard to get away with anything - not sure the EU is entirely responsible for UK police not giving a crap and going all soft Whistle

p.s. sorry for your dad Killer Sad Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #189782 30th Nov 2012 2:23pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Pam W wrote:

All I said was that statistically things are actually better than they used to be, not worse. That is stating a fact, not an opinion.

I beg to differ, statistics are NOT necessarily FACTS.

It all depends on how those statistics are collected etc.

Are they done on a like for like basis year on year?

Are people always reporting low level crime?

OK it is relatively easy to count say murders in the UK year on year.

However I seem to recall that a few years ago the police probably under pressure from politicians altered the way crime was being recorded.

Now you could argue that I am a grumpy suspicious old git but basically I have no more faith in the crime figures going down year on year, nor do I have faith in the percentage of pupils getting top grades in exams going up consistently year on year for some 20 odd years.

To me both looks like the dark hands of politicans getting figures massaged to present a rosier picture.

OK Chris we are now well off the OT but that is the nature of 'pub conversations'

Brendan
Post #189788 30th Nov 2012 2:48pm
Pam W

This is an easy to read and digest look at the figures - note that it shows that whilst actual crime is reducing, people's perception is that it is increasing.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/20...land-wales

Like Ze I am also very lucky to live an area that has low crime - North Yorkshire reported as having the lowest crime rate in England. So maybe I get to see the world differently cos I'm lucky to live in such a lovely place. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Post #189790 30th Nov 2012 2:49pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Brendan, you're a grumpy suspicious old git - I don't have any more to add, just wanted to say that Shocked Mr. Green Rolling with laughter
Post #189792 30th Nov 2012 2:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>