↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Freedom of Speech on the forum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Martin wrote:
I just been told that certain members have pointed to this thread specifically on other forums and on Facebook as being entirely indicative of how this forum is run and how dreadful the forum is.

It is incredibly upsetting that people elsewhere are being directed to a single thread, and a single post intended by the original poster to cause a reaction in that thread, as being representative of the forum as a whole when all involved know full well that is absolutely NOT the case.

......... so I am beginning to feel that this is a witch hunt being carried out by a few.

I'm not surprised at this at Martin, I've seen it before and looking at the names of new members who have signed up to jump on the bandwagon it is even less of a surprise - it is a sad fact that there will always be a small group of sad individuals who will gossip over half a shandy and then stir things up.

Your witch hunt comment is prob bang on. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #188162 25th Nov 2012 10:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
JSG,

I hope your comment about freedom of speech etc was a joke!

I think we have all exercised our FoS right on this thread enough now, and I have contacted Martin about possibly deleting the thread , with an explanation that as this thread is now being used in a viral manner, to the detriment of the forum, that its better for the forum's image.

It's not about hypocrisy, just time we moved on. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #188168 25th Nov 2012 10:44am
JSG

RRUK wrote:
JSG,

I hope your comment about freedom of speech etc was a joke!

It was intended to be humorous yes, but I don't agree with it being deleted as that is against free speech. If you want it deleting now how different is that to a supplier or other member asking for a thread to be deleted because it hasn't gone the way they liked?

It's a fine line ... John

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #188173 25th Nov 2012 10:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It's purely because Martin pointed out that some idiots are using this thread on other forums and on Facebook to slag the forum and Martin off, and I don't want that at all, that wasn't what this was about.

Maybe deleting it isn't the way to go, but we need to draw a line under it now. I'm open to suggestions. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #188177 25th Nov 2012 11:02am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I like this forum, I've used various LR forums for 10 years and this and LR4x4 shine through.

There's isn't too much of this which I don't get on with.

It's a great forum.

On the sponsors front, just a small point but I like to be shown why a product is good. Not just be told, then I can make my own mind up. Put the effort into demonstrating the value not just telling everybody at every opportunity.

I'll focus on Entreq as it's the elephant in the room. That Entreq aerial is lovely and on seeing the photos I'll be saving up for one and it looks decent value. On the other hand those door extenders are taking the wee wee at £65 and if X-eng are doing a product for a tenner that does the same thing then I think I can I should be able to say that X-eng seems better value (to me) without fear of the Entreq love in mob.

I read RRUK's post on his 90 and it's a great update read (that 90 needs a Mud Bulkhead removal bar though) but he just mentioned that Entreq are expensive and he was jumped on. As a neutral I thought it was heavy handed and out of order. He wasn't saying the products were poor quality just that they are expensive, I can't see a problem with this.

The 'retard' photo was poorly judged, I've seen it before and it may have gone down well on the other LR forums but as most of the people on here seem a bit more 'grown up' it didn't work. We all make poor judgments from time to time but as this is the internet it lives for longer and is just a bit harder to judge.

Anyway this forum will remain my 1st port of call for all Defender based stuff
Post #188179 25th Nov 2012 11:04am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I agree very much with Tigers comments and as has been said, this forum is a great place to be !

However, one point I'd like to raise, I am a great fan of X-Eng's work and am lucky enough to count Si as a personal friend of quite some years, but I think he'd be the first to agree that although his product does the same job as Entreq's it does it in a different way and therefore price wise isn't really comparable. In the same way that you can't compare the price of the X brake with a Land Rover hand brake

Chin up Martin, you've seen worse Mr. Green
Post #188188 25th Nov 2012 11:43am
JSG

RRUK wrote:
It's purely because Martin pointed out that some idiots are using this thread on other forums and on Facebook to slag the forum and Martin off, and I don't want that at all, that wasn't what this was about.

Maybe deleting it isn't the way to go, but we need to draw a line under it now. I'm open to suggestions.

Just ignore the idiots is my suggestion Thumbs Up John

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #188201 25th Nov 2012 12:53pm
Honker

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Martin wrote:
I just been told that certain members have pointed to this thread specifically on other forums and on Facebook as being entirely indicative of how this forum is run and how dreadful the forum is.

It is incredibly upsetting that people elsewhere are being directed to a single thread, and a single post intended by the original poster to cause a reaction in that thread, as being representative of the forum as a whole when all involved know full well that is absolutely NOT the case.

......... so I am beginning to feel that this is a witch hunt being carried out by a few.

Well that's nice to hear. Obviously they don't want to be part of the forum, so bin them.

Stu
Post #188209 25th Nov 2012 1:19pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Freedom of speech?

Also freedom to remain silent

Then freedom to ignore any particular post/thread/poster!

Also there is the freedom to report any particular post/poster

We all have different ways of posting or expressing ourselves now that is down to human nature/literacy skills etc.

Now why are some people upset about Entreq prices? OK their items are not at the cheap end of the product price range.

I wonder if people would go into their local supermarket and demand an explanation of prices?

The emphasis currently appears to be on the middle door adjustment brackets which we have offered to D2 members for £60 including postage.

Now one thing which is important is to compare like with like. Comparing the complete Entreq replacement bracket with the extension strap offered by Mulgo is not comparing like with like.

The Entreq bracket is a direct replacement in stainless steel but longer then the original with a modified pivot point. I have been told that one of the original brackets is £33 so on that score the Entreq brackets are not expensive.

The only other replacement bracket that I am aware of would retail in the UK for about £55. That bracket uses a standard 8mm bolt. The pivot point on the Entreq bracket is specially machined for the job out of 13mm(?) stainless bar to give a plain shank 10mm pivot point rather then the original 8mm threaded bar. I have been informed that the cost of these specially made pivot points is 3.73 euros each or about £3 each. That alone counts for £6 or about 10% of the Entreq bracket price. No, I am not aware of all the cost structure in Entreq products. Yes Entreq could use a standard 8mm bolt, however they have decided to use something different as they belive it is better to use the 10mm plain shank pivot rather then the 8mm threaded bar as a pivot

Now if you like the Entreq attention to detail, like/want/need/can afford the Entreq products that is your choice. Conversely the opposite is true.

Talking about pricing and like for like comparison, one item we sell at £240, another supplier sells at £270 and a third for £386

This is for the EXACT same item, now do I demand a public explanation of those price differences? Do I start accusing people of taking the 'wee wee'

Another item we sell for £7 some other people are selling for £6.90 and someone else for £6.36

Now do I publicly castigate ourselves for charging more then other traders?

Or do all traders get together and charge the same price? (yes I am aware of price fixing/cartels etc)

We try to offer good quality products at a reasonable price. We have even been know to tell people (including some forum members) to go and buy products from other traders when we can not even get close to being competitive.

Brendan

PS I personally like X Eng gear Thumbs Up We have his X brake, Zig Zag, X Trousers (when I get around to fitting them), X springs on our vehicles. I was talking to him about pedal boxes and security fittings for Pumas the other week and he told me he was doing his version of the 'adjustment brackets' He did mention that it would be cheaper then the Entreq one Razz Si if you read this get your finger out about the Puma security items!

One thing I am convinced off is that other people will shortly be offering their versions of the adjustment brackets/strap
Post #188218 25th Nov 2012 1:58pm
Lorryman100

Brendan,

I feel I should take the blame for having the audacity to be one of the first on here in purchasing and posting Entreq products. At the time I had a few bits and pieces in the garage purchased for the defender and in the end I didn't fit them because the quality was nowhere near Entreq gear. In fact a few on here actually got the bits I no longer required for free (mick and zag did give a forum donation for the bits I sent them Bow down Thumbs Up). Entreq gear for me is the ultimate in Puma bling, the quality and design leaves other manufacturers to shame, I know as I have bought a few bits and pieces in my time from numerous companies including Entreq. The price for me is daunting but for the sheer quality and longevity of the parts surely the price then makes sense when I am keeping the Puma until one of us dies? The fact that I will pay what some see as over the odds is down to no one else but me? or should I be asking permission first? As far as I'm concerned I will do what I want to my defender spending as much as I want too. I will admit that I no longer post up the bits I fit as the post is usually filled with comments on what it cost rather than the product itself with exceptions from members who are genuinely interested in the mod. I always think forums should be places to share ideas and mods without the risk of being ostracised because of posting it or having the gall to spend so many ££ on basically a bit of twisted metal, funnily enough the Puma is also made out of bits of twisted metal and cost £££££££ new. Rolling Eyes So Brendan keep up the good fight in promoting Entreq gear as I for one think it is well worth the asking price. And finally I don't particularly like some of the mods on members Pumas but who am I to voice an opinion on this as it has nothing to do with me, I did not buy it so why should I demean someone else's choice? No, I personally respect their choice and keep my opinion to myself, mostly Whistle

Now on a more serious note.........have you posted my recent Entreq order? Whistle

Brian
Post #188266 25th Nov 2012 5:37pm
JSG

No apologies needed - I fail to see why people shouldn't be able to and recommend whatever kit they want.

I like Entreq stuff, it is extremely well made but is more expensive. You pay your money and take your choice after all.

Its a free world Thumbs Up John

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #188269 25th Nov 2012 5:44pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Brian,
Sorry I did not managed to get your order out on Saturday, yours will be going out on Monday, however did get some other Entreq orders out on Saturday Thumbs Up

Life has been rather hectic recently and I do not just mean on here, so yes I do need a gentle prod at times.

Brian I should thank you for introducing us to Entreq! Yes I like the quality of Entreq gear and am quite happy to fit it to our vehicles.

That is one of the tests we apply before deciding if we are going to stock any particular item

Now as a small company to succeed we have to find good quality gear that other companies do not particularly stock and provide decent service.

Now do you know of any other supplier making premium quality gear?

I see a lot of gear some on other peoples vehicles some offered by other manufacturers and sometimes in my eyes the quality is not what I am prepared to accept to put on our vehicles

Now I often mention needs, want, budget.

It is up to the individual to decide their needs, wants and budget. Yes different people will have different budgets, different needs and different wants.

Brendan
Post #188293 25th Nov 2012 7:28pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
Is it me or is this thread turning into a broken record from some people? Cant find the YAWN emoticon...
Post #188296 25th Nov 2012 7:39pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Just for you Pope

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #188306 25th Nov 2012 8:11pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #188311 25th Nov 2012 8:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>