↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 300tdi temp gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DavidJewiss

England 
300tdi temp gauge
Hi, I was just wondering how much the temperature gauge is supposed to move, I've always had modern cars where it sits at half way and I've never seen it move, however I done a 15 mile motorway drive in the defender today at 65-70 and the gauge was constantly moving from just over half way to nigh on the red and back down again over and over again, is this normal? When I came off the motorway and was in traffic I noticed it was sitting just below the red for a while too and the heater had stopped blowing through hot air even though the temp gauge was just below the red, is this anything to worry about?
Post #185658 16th Nov 2012 6:42pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
That doesn't sound all that normal, my 200tdi one sits nicely in the middle all the time and heaters work quite well.

I did have some similar symptoms on mine a few years ago and it was sorted out by replacing the engine earth strap, not quite sure what that has to do with it but it fixed the issue, so might be worth checking you have a decent earth.

No doubt someone who knows what they are talking about will be along in a bit. Thumbs Up

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #185659 16th Nov 2012 6:48pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Normal operation for a Defender temperature gauge (at least up to and including Td5 models - can't speak for Tdci) is for it to rise to half-way (or just under) and stay there.

Earth is a good shout, but the heater issue is more worrying. Are you losing coolant?
Post #185667 16th Nov 2012 7:06pm
DavidJewiss

England 
I don't think so, I'll have to have a proper check tomorrow in the daylight. I wouldn't be surprised if the heater was just due to controls not working properly as I was playing about with them a bit where I haven't had it long, today was the only time I've driven it long enough to get any heat at all!

I'll have a look at the earth strap tomorrow too as its it's too dark now, the car has a 3 month warranty as I bought it from a dealer but if its a simple fix I'd rather just do it myself, failing that Ill have to take it back but I wanted to be sure that it wasn't normal. How often should the engine be getting hot enough for the fan to kick in?
Post #185679 16th Nov 2012 7:36pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
DavidJewiss wrote:
How often should the engine be getting hot enough for the fan to kick in?

Unfortunately I can't answer that one! A thermostatic fan is not a standard fitment, so it depends what temperature the thermostat is set to.

When I used to have a thermostatic fan (using an X-Engineering X-fan controller), it never used to come on under normal working conditions. Pulling a big trailer up a steep track would see it on, but it never triggered during normal driving where there was good airflow over the radiator.
Post #185684 16th Nov 2012 8:17pm
IKke

Netherlands 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
My 200tdi takes a while to move to the center and if it doesn't have to work much and I put the heater on full blast it will go down to about a kwarter Rolling Eyes And it has an electric fan which is always off in these temperatures. Scaling the real deal.
Post #185815 17th Nov 2012 2:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1