↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Remove N/S Outer Wing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
mk1collector wrote:
..... Could the OP post up any insights when he's finished the job please.
Cheers
Ray

Hi Ray,

Problem was as above my chequer plate was obscuring the two screws that secure the air duct to the wing. This is roughly the order in which I did things:

Prep by jacking up, placing on axle stand and removing the road wheel.

1. Remove the air intake cover screws
2. Using a small drift of rivet push out the centre of the plastic clips that hold the eyebrow to the arch.
- Put a blanket down before doing this to catch the centre dowels of the plastic clips that fall out.
3. Remove the eyebrow.
4. Disconnect the indicator wiring.
5. Start going around the wing using a variety of socket / extension bars / ratchet spanner to loosen remove bolts as necessary.
6. There are three bolts hidden behind the air intake which are tricky to get to, in order to get to these:
- Remove the two screws that secure the ducting to the top of the wing
- Manoeuvre the ducting out of the way until there is enough room to get your hand in, then undo the three remaining bolts using a ratchet spanner. Still tricky lil Censored but it can be done.
- To get a bit more 'flex' to allow the air ducting to moveI also undid the bolt that holds the top panel of the wing to the bulkhead N.B. place some foam between this and the windscreen drain channel else when it flexes the two will make contact.
7. Once all the relevant bolts have been removed / loosed the outer wing will simply lift away

Thumbs Up
Post #185962 17th Nov 2012 10:03pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Battery Backed Alarm Sounder.

I don't really know anything about these?? Have you got a link where I could do a bit of reading?
Post #185964 17th Nov 2012 10:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Until recenctly it was an option (now standard fit) and is a device that wails like a banshee if the battery is disconnected when the alarm is set. If you don't have one, the alarm can be neutralized frighteningly easily by a variety of methods which I have no intention of posting here although unfortunately they're well known to most villains.

The merits of having a BBUS (alternatively know as BBS) have been discussed on this forum in the past, and if you search for either set of initials you should find info.

Retrofitting involves replacing the n/s wing harness and bolting in the sounder. The parts cost about £250 but the peace of mind is priceless.

It won't necessarily stop the thieves but I have yet to hear of a BBUS-fitted Puma being driven away without the keys.
Post #185980 17th Nov 2012 10:43pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Phoenix90 wrote:
mk1collector wrote:
..... Could the OP post up any insights when he's finished the job please.
Cheers
Ray

Hi Ray,

Problem was as above my chequer plate was obscuring the two screws that secure the air duct to the wing. This is roughly the order in which I did things:

Prep by jacking up, placing on axle stand and removing the road wheel.

1. Remove the air intake cover screws
2. Using a small drift of rivet push out the centre of the plastic clips that hold the eyebrow to the arch.
- Put a blanket down before doing this to catch the centre dowels of the plastic clips that fall out.
3. Remove the eyebrow.
4. Disconnect the indicator wiring.
5. Start going around the wing using a variety of socket / extension bars / ratchet spanner to loosen remove bolts as necessary.
6. There are three bolts hidden behind the air intake which are tricky to get to, in order to get to these:
- Remove the two screws that secure the ducting to the top of the wing
- Manoeuvre the ducting out of the way until there is enough room to get your hand in, then undo the three remaining bolts using a ratchet spanner. Still tricky lil Censored but it can be done.
- To get a bit more 'flex' to allow the air ducting to moveI also undid the bolt that holds the top panel of the wing to the bulkhead N.B. place some foam between this and the windscreen drain channel else when it flexes the two will make contact.
7. Once all the relevant bolts have been removed / loosed the outer wing will simply lift away

Thumbs Up

Excellent thanks for that Thumbs Up
My new wing skins should be painted this week coming so this is next weekends job
Cheers
Ray
Post #186040 18th Nov 2012 12:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12