↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > OLD QUESTION
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
OLD QUESTION
I know this has been mentioned so many times in the past but I can't find the thread, my 110 XS 2008 which has had several things exchanged on it last year when the amber check engine light came up, with them finally finding the fault , which was the fuel rail.

Oh well, but it was all the twoing and froing to the Garage which got me down and loan Disco from Enterprise, but heyho my 110 was in good hands!!

Anyway, a few thousand miles happier motoring. Vehicle used all day today, darkness falls and the temperature drops and I need the vehicle to be its old reliable self once more.

Thought it a tad noisy as I pulled away, with many bags of spanners this time evident in my lugholes, and up jumps the old amber light again and my speed drops with it, in what can only be described as a place you didn't really want to be messed about by failing engine revs.

I stop and start her three times on the ignition, and the amber light goes off and I'm a happy teddy again.
Has anybody else had similar issues after their fuel rails had been replaced like this or have I more aggro coming??
Be glad to hear from anyone!!
Post #183522 9th Nov 2012 8:05pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
On my Poogot van I had a similar thing happen from time to time. I was in a bit of a pickle because the dealer had closed down so nowhere to take it (without a bit of egg on my face because I chose the now defunct dealer over the more established). Long story short, a friend gave me a way of resetting the ECU to clear the faults. It was a long and weird process, wind the window down, dis-connect the battery and re-connect after 60 seconds, open the door three times, indicate left etc etc.

It did work, the ECU reset procedure would kick in and the central locking would activate several times to acknowledge completion and that'd be the end of it for several months.

Is there a way of resetting the ECU on a Defender?
Post #183534 9th Nov 2012 8:41pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Ultra Gauge - £60 ish ... OBDCII reader should do the trick
Post #183535 9th Nov 2012 8:44pm
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that. I bought a COBRA handheld analyser off Ideal World a couple of months ago. A very simple bright yellow handheld device with a lead terminating to a scart. With it was a booklet with all the likely codes that could be encountered from an ECU.
Anyway cut a long story short, the Land Rover dealership, said not to clear down the fault, using that or any other garage. Well the reason I bought it was exactly that. Before they changed the fuel rail and gave me happier motoring, I had to take it into A N OTHER garage who proudly charged me £40 for the privilege of clearing it down.
Thats the main reason I bought the COBRA device for £36.
They come up fairly regularly and I think they advertise them on their website, good bit of kit, but of course not on my truck when I needed it.
I also understand, when this Amber warning light occurs, if you stop/start the engine three times, it clears the light but leaves the fault on the ECU.
Is that correct or am I being fed a pup?
Otherwise the first thing in the morning I will stick the scart into the old girl and see where she's ailing, and decide what to do then!!(under warrantee) and back to the "experts" I suspect.
Post #183541 9th Nov 2012 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1