↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > warranty up soon - any key things to check
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
warranty up soon - any key things to check
searched for a post but didn't find anything specific.

what are the main things to inspect before my warranty runs out? ive got it booked in for a service, waxoil and end of warranty check but would like to inspect myself too...

it's had the bulkhead replaced 2 months ago, other than that, only the indicator is dodgy.. 1 or 2 corrosion issues still.
Post #181504 2nd Nov 2012 10:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
There isn't a lot really you can do other than if something is actually wrong. All I would suggest is you check tings and places you wouldn't normally look for for signs of damage excess wear or rust (hopefully none) also see if your headlight bezels (rims) aren't rusty if they are get them replaced. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #181521 2nd Nov 2012 11:16pm
Likeomg

they are, also the rear cross member where the mud flaps joined is starting to rust (was) so i took the flaps off, got them properly coated and then sealed between with silicone... might be worth pulling them off to check for excess corrosion
Post #181526 2nd Nov 2012 11:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would have thought any bolts or hinges with any signs of corrosion should be replaced too. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #181529 2nd Nov 2012 11:36pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
From a thread on the very same subject....Follow the link therein.... Thumbs Up

K9F wrote:
Some good advice here! Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13650.html?highlight=early

From another thread:

K9F wrote:
As mine was reaching the three-year point I took Fekete's advice and banged it in a month early for an MOT so any problems could be sorted under warranty if possible. No problems it sailed through.

Went over the bodywork with a fine toothcomb and as I type this the vehicle went in for a 'weeks worth' of paintwork issues that surprisingly were accepted without quibble to be done under warranty.

The 90 has two vertical welds below the windows on the side (the 110 doesn't posess these welds) one of which wasn't formed correctly and subsequently the paint cracked and there was evidence of rust bubbling. Reformation of the weld!

On the nearside corner of the windscreen between the rubber seal and the 'non functional' hinge blocks there was also evidence of paint lifting and a small track of bubbling. Windscreen out job!!!

On the rear there are two small shaped panels that are riveted to the bodywork either side of the vehicle above numberplate height. There was very minor corrosion evidence due to the original paintwork not adhering to the sharp edges. Smooth off the sharp edges slightly and respray.

With everything else that has caused me grief with regards to poor paint finish having been either swapped out for superior products or reworked to prevent reoccurence such as hinge blocks, headlight retaining rings, front bumper, sidesteps, window latches I am hoping now to have a period without rust cultivation, paint flaking and the depressive feeling when it is discovered for some time to come.

Westover Motors Christchurch have had an attitude transplant compared to historic experiences as mentioned in a previous thread! Thumbs up to them from me!!

Fingers and just about everything else crossed. Thumbs Up

Hope this helps..... Thumbs Up
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 2nd Nov 2012 11:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #181532 2nd Nov 2012 11:41pm
Likeomg

cheers, my search didnt bring that up Sad
Post #181533 2nd Nov 2012 11:42pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
as others have said, corrosion!, check your windscreen frame carefully especially along the top of the bulkhead and around the screen rubber , and just about every fixture and fitting DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #181550 3rd Nov 2012 8:21am
Likeomg

LR90XS2011 wrote:
as others have said, corrosion!, check your windscreen frame carefully especially along the top of the bulkhead and around the screen rubber , and just about every fixture and fitting

as above, they have been replaced already.. last few months
Post #181605 3rd Nov 2012 10:44am
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Are you putting it into a main dealer for the service? They should be able to do a 'health check' for you at the same time and check for any warranty issues - mine are, as the warranty runs out at the end of this month. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #181626 3rd Nov 2012 12:05pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
LR90XS2011 wrote:
as others have said, corrosion!, check your windscreen frame carefully especially along the top of the bulkhead and around the screen rubber , and just about every fixture and fitting

Would this be covered under the 6 year anti corrosion warranty of standard 3 year warranty?? Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #181627 3rd Nov 2012 12:06pm
K9F

strang wrote:
Would this be covered under the 6 year anti corrosion warranty of standard 3 year warranty??

Very difficult to determine and it will vary from dealer to dealer. I've just had a dispute with my dealer over rear fillet panels, they claimed it was a paint issue that has only three years warranty (the fact there is no paint applied to the underside of the lip I said it was corrosion covered by the six year warranty). I then took it to Land Rover Customer Services. Whilst I am paying to have the panels treated and repainted a resolution was 'brokered' whereupon I am more than happy with the end result.
As stated purely depends on dealer's approach to your issue. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #181634 3rd Nov 2012 12:29pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Check screen heaters.
My front had a couple of stripes that didn't work and the top part of the rear didn't work either.
Both screens were replaced under warranty 
Post #181636 3rd Nov 2012 12:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

strang wrote:
They should be able to do a 'health check' for you at the same time and check for any warranty issues - mine are, as the warranty runs out at the end of this month.

Nothing like an owner going over it with a fine toothcomb and finding any issues yourself using this forum as a guide/pointer. All the minor cosmetic issues I have experienced over the last four and a half years are well documented. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #181637 3rd Nov 2012 12:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The EGR is another good thing to have done if it gives even the slightest wiff of a problem. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #181642 3rd Nov 2012 1:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1