↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > warranty, rust and chassis
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
warranty, rust and chassis
anyone had any warranty work carried out on the chassis for rust?

if so just wondering how bad it was etc.

thanks
Post #180672 31st Oct 2012 3:51pm
Caterham

nobody had anything done with rust on chassis under warranty then?

any thoughts on this at least.....I'm a bit mythed as to how poor the chassis coating is to be honest.

looks like loads of hours cleaning back wire brush and recoat affected areas and then finally a good old lick of waxoyl (or dinitrol).

any suggestions on what to use to get a similar finish to existing before putting the waxoyl on ....?

or is that covered also in Zegato's corrosion treatment?
Post #182887 7th Nov 2012 4:15pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Get one of the aerosol dinitrol kits of eBay, it come with some rust repelling/fixing primer that turns the rust back into solid metal again the put the cavity wax in the chassis and the underseal everywhere else and it'll look like a new landy again
Post #182903 7th Nov 2012 5:10pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
My local dealer rustproofed my 07 Puma when I pointed out the lack of paint and coating on it free of charge.

When I bought the 11 plate they had stopped offering the service so I had it done myself. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #182924 7th Nov 2012 5:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
If this helps...

I owned a 2002 Discovery TD5 from new. I owned it for 10 years and 187000 miles (until I bought the Defender).

After several years (i.e. outside warranty) I started getting corrosion-related issues. The power steering pipes rusted through (replaced), the ACE system rusted it's pipes (removed, and replaced with a normal anti rioll bar), and the rear brake pipes corroded through. The chassis was sound (waxoyled) but had surface rust in some areas and I frequently (annually) topped-up the waxoyl. Cost for corrosion-related repairs was substantial

This time with the Defenfer, I have vowed to keep on top of it with more preventative measures. When it was new I ended up speaking to Zag on the phone, and followed his advice on ACF, Dinitrol, sikaflex etc...and I check the Defender more frequently to make sure I stay on top of any issues using the "stitch in time saves nine" motto.

IMHO having used both, Dinitrol is streets ahead of Waxoyl - but that's a "religious arguament"...waxoyl fans will argue with dinitrol fans like Christians and Muslims... Very Happy

I'm afraid it's a "pleasure" of ownership - if you want to keep it "mint", you ned to do it yourself Thumbs Up Whistle Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #182927 7th Nov 2012 6:04pm
Caterham

I've got a bit of time of at Xmas.....

so now I know what to ask for Xmas......well I almost know....Dinitrol or Waxoyl ?

Very Happy
Post #183109 8th Nov 2012 8:58am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Dinitrol all the way Whistle
Post #183144 8th Nov 2012 11:36am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Dinitrol underneath and ACF50 everywhere else Thumbs Up DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #183203 8th Nov 2012 4:44pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
where is the rust 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #183488 9th Nov 2012 5:45pm
Caterham

grockle,

probably the same as everyone on in places such as some of the welds? - that doesn't bother me.

what does is one of the suspension turrets there's a 'paint chip' about the size of a 2 pence piece where its rusting.
Sad
Post #183634 9th Nov 2012 11:10pm
Caterham

the dealer told me the rust on the chasis will have now detrimental effect on the car......can kind of see where they're going in terms of a claim on the corrosion warranty (albeit it a bit miffed - can't see why on earth they can't produce a coating that easily reaches 7 years before it starts flaking off / corroding - mines only 2 years old).

anyway - where do you reckon I stand with making a claim under the warranty (no corroison warranty). I bought the car with a coated chassis (regardless of what that coating is / is intended for), the coating is coming off - surely that should be rectified under the comprehensive 3 year warranty ??

Confused
Post #185216 15th Nov 2012 9:31am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Caterham wrote:

what does is one of the suspension turrets there's a 'paint chip' about the size of a 2 pence piece where its rusting.
Sad

How's about this http://www.paddockspares.com/shock-absorbe...nised.html

I considered buying these when I swapped my front shocks, but gave the originals a tickle with a wire brush, and a new coat of Dinitrol inside & out whilst the turrets were off... Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #185228 15th Nov 2012 10:27am
Caterham

my point really is that I don't really think this should be happening and therefore shouldn't it be covered by the warranty. If I had the time I'm sure I'd be able to achieve what I want ......but its the time thing.
Post #185244 15th Nov 2012 11:14am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Isn't the corrosion warranty restricted to 'perforation' of panels/bodywork? so surface rust on chassis probably not covered, but there's also the paint warranty isn't there?

I'd have thought that the chassis was painted so could well be covered by that, in the same way as if surface rust had appeared on your bonnet - just a thought.

I had some light surface rust marks on my d3 chassis, and that's why I made sure that the 110 had a good coat of dinitrol from new. 1 year on and it looks exactly the same, so I'm hoping that's working long term.

One other thing I have noticed with the 110 is that the dintrol coating seems to stay a lot cleaner in everyday road conditions than my 90. We have a wet/muddy/bumpy track to the house and get a fair bit od muddy splash underneath.

I'd agree with earlier posts re using the dinitrol rust convertor spray, followed by a decent coat of the underbody spray. I tried the convertor on my 90 where there were a couple of welds with primer on getting light rust, and it got rid of that no problem.

So if the dealer doesn't think its warranty work then a go round with rust convertor and underbody spray and you'll have a good result - quite an easy job (especially if you have an airline and a lift)

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #185252 15th Nov 2012 11:38am
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
My 110 is booked in for warranty rust work to be resolved.... Dealers were very a accommodating. They are going to sort out windscreen surround, rear gutter rail above window, windscreen hinges, bulkhead work around widescreen bolts, rear crossmember and a couple of other bits.
Fekete has had a load of work done on his under warranty and he suggests looking behind the dash with a torch! 2009 XS 110 Utility Stornaway Grey
BAS re Remap, BAS Turbo, BAS Spec Modified Airbox, Twisted Side exit Decat Exhaust, Allisport Cooler and Hoses, OME Sport Shocks, Kangaroo Paw Discs.
2001 Discovery II
Porsche Speedster Replica 1956ish
Post #187329 22nd Nov 2012 10:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>