↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Land Rover Defender on cards for 2013
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
New Land Rover Defender on cards for 2013
The replacement for the legendary Land Rover Defender could be seen next year.

Land Rover says it has learned what it needs from its polarising DC100 concept cars, which put a controversial 21st century spin on renewal of the tractor-tough Defender, and is now moving into the next phase of development ahead of production.

It is promising an early unveiling for the next-generation Defender, as soon as the mechanical package for the vehicle is settled. "Because we're replacing an icon it's quite likely that you'll see it quite early," the head of Land Rover, Phil Popham, reveals to Carsguide during a brief Australian visit.
"We've made the decision we are going to replace it. But we've got to work through the technology decisions first. We are still some way off being in a position to announce what it's going to look like, what it's going to be. But work is continuing."

Popham says the DC100s, which starred at a series of motor shows last year, have done a good job but won't be seen again in 2012. Carsguide believes they have now been retired.

He stops just short of confirming a 2013 unveiling for the production Defender, even though European sources suggest production will begin in 2014. It is also going back to the USA for the first time since sales were suspended in 1997.

"We've got some useful research with DC100, which is a little bit polarising in terms of those that love it, those who are indifferent, and those that didn't like it at all. But that's exactly what we wanted to get. We expected that." Popham says.

The two DC100s were built under the direction of Australia Murray Dietsch, an ex-Ford Australia man who was chief engineer on the landmark Land Rover Evoque, although he has not been named as chief of the full-scale Defender project.

Popham says the project is moving fast with the focus on ensuring a vehicle that is suitable for more than just the handful of hardcore Defender fans. "A lot of work is being done now in terms of the technology we need to apply to Defender to make sure it delivers in terms of performance and the duty cycle,"

"We understand what the car needs to be, what it needs to deliver, where it's going to be sold. We need now to find the best way from an engineering design point of view to bring it out. We've pretty well run the business case. What we're into now is the technology we need to bring to market and the implications that has for design. Obviously design and engineering need to work together."

Popham says Land Rover is already set for Defender production, after upgrades in Britain to cope with demand for the city-focused Evoque and the all-new Range Rover that lands in Australia next year. "We have invested massively in manufacturing. We've just invested £350 million ($542 million) in Solihull for this car, and hired another 1000 people. With the right sort of investment, we've got plenty of capacity."

From http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-revie...s_for_2013 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #180559 31st Oct 2012 8:31am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
That was a very interesting read thanks for posting it, but I can’t help thinking as I read the quotes that he is not talking about a commercial but a leisure/life style vehicle. I guess we will just have to wait and see what they produce in the way of a working prototype. Will it have a decent towing capacity? Will it be bought by farmers/military/emergency services/ or just those who will choose it over a Freelander/Rav 4/CRV for their daily drive?
Post #180564 31st Oct 2012 9:39am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“make sure it delivers in terms of … the duty cycle”

Ten years? Then it no longer meets safety/emissions standards and has to be disposed of?

How long does one keep a TV, telephone, computer? It’s the 21st century and, in the same way you wouldn’t replace a kettle element or repair a vacuum cleaner, vehicles are becoming more and more throw-away.

Peter
Post #180651 31st Oct 2012 3:00pm
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
"We've got some useful research with DC100, which is a little bit polarising in terms of those that love it, those who are indifferent, and those that didn't like it at all. But that's exactly what we wanted to get. We expected that." Popham says.

I hope Popham's not involved in any engineering design! Strange comment to make!
Post #180781 31st Oct 2012 9:46pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I think I've reached the point where I don't really care what they do now, I don't see us buying another new (or newish) Landrover anyway. Good luck to them whichever way they choose to go.
Post #180881 1st Nov 2012 10:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
I agree with you 22900013A, its a real shame because i love to support the marque but they would have to do something amazing to make me buy another. Their customer service is some of the worst i have ever had the displeasure of coming across!
Post #180941 1st Nov 2012 12:53pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
pope10001 wrote:
I agree with you 22900013A, its a real shame because i love to support the marque but they would have to do something amazing to make me buy another. Their customer service is some of the worst i have ever had the displeasure of coming across!

I hear you...I feel the same way. My gripe is not with customer service so much as build quality, and the worrying feeling that the dealers won't help out with warranty stuff. That said, I bought a Defender for what it is, that long long line stetching back to '48. Sever that line and its just another 4x4 to me.
Post #181164 1st Nov 2012 11:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nidge n

I cant see this being ready for viewing next year, although i do think the defender replacement will run in parallel with the Disco 5.

I bought my defender because of its heritage. The rest of the Land Rover range doesn't follow the original LR ethos. I can totally understand product diversity (my wife has serious desires on the Evoque) but the rest of the model range profits from the original Defender. Based on what LR have done with the new Range Rover (proper one not the other branded products such as sport) i think that they remain very focused on "off road" capability. Lets just hope that LR keep the new Defender honest and build on the companies roots. Thumbs Up In the meantime, im delighted to own and run an icon.
Post #181230 2nd Nov 2012 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1