mse wrote:
So are they?

Yes. The magnet sticks to the door.

Richard 1963 Series 2A truck cab
2008 110 SW
Post #13487 27th Jul 2009 9:14pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
For info, the horizontal window seals (where the bottom of the window abuts the frame) on my 04 Defender are being replaced under warranty. The cost item of 2 items these must be very small, and not only will it save future corrosion but also should resolve my intermittent alarm/immobiliser faults whereby after rain the alarm/ central locking fuse can occasionally blow, as a result of damp affecting the central locking sender units within the 2 doors.
With regard to Defenders, Land Rover can be very reluctant to replace parts under warranty whereby water ingress may be a cause (and having had a Disco 3 there would have been no issue had water ingress caused faults) and i can understand that with such an old and basic design, LR would take the view that well it's a Defender what do you expect. except that newish Defenders are pretty expensive so the LR warranty care should be equal to that of Discos. In this case the sum of a few pounds will prevent all manner of problems in the future. The seal distortion is not a result of water ingress, but due to the rubber becoming inflexible after a period of time. Perhaps it's a sourcing fault. Anyway, it's a typical result from my local dealer who has always been 100pc helpful and efficient.
Post #13488 27th Jul 2009 9:23pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
For info, the horizontal window seals (where the bottom of the window abuts the frame) on my 04 Defender are being replaced under warranty. The cost item of 2 items these must be very small, and not only will it save future corrosion but also should resolve my intermittent alarm/immobiliser faults whereby after rain the alarm/ central locking fuse can occasionally blow, as a result of damp affecting the central locking sender units within the 2 doors.
With regard to Defenders, Land Rover can be very reluctant to replace parts under warranty whereby water ingress may be a cause (and having had a Disco 3 there would have been no issue had water ingress caused faults) and i can understand that with such an old and basic design, LR would take the view that well it's a Defender what do you expect. except that newish Defenders are pretty expensive so the LR warranty care should be equal to that of Discos. In this case the sum of a few pounds will prevent all manner of problems in the future. The seal distortion is not a result of water ingress, but due to the rubber becoming inflexible after a period of time. Perhaps it's a sourcing fault. Anyway, it's a typical result from my local dealer who has always been 100pc helpful and efficient.
Post #13489 27th Jul 2009 9:24pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Post #13490 27th Jul 2009 9:25pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Post #13491 27th Jul 2009 9:25pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Sorry about the triple posting.. but every time iI hit submit I got a fatal error message, anyway, should improve my post count Laughing
Post #13492 27th Jul 2009 9:27pm
YORKSHIRELAD

England 
peanutbob wrote:
Sorry about the triple posting.. but every time iI hit submit I got a fatal error message, anyway, should improve my post count Laughing

I keep getting the same message Confused 1963 Series 2A truck cab
2008 110 SW
Post #13493 27th Jul 2009 9:34pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
peanutbob wrote:

I know... I sent it four times Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #13494 27th Jul 2009 9:39pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Whistle 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #13502 28th Jul 2009 8:09am
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If I could find a source of replacement seals, I would fit them myself. The seal needs to be deeper than the LR part so it will actually seal the gap. Water constantly getting in is going to store up all sorts of problems for the future. Anybody know of any sources.

Needless to say I have not heard back from the dealer, despite me instructing them to contact LR again.
Main dealers are just a complete bunch of sharks. Harwoods seem especially bad.
Post #13510 28th Jul 2009 11:13am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I don't think you will ever get it that water tight,the water should just drain out of the door bottom,the only other thing to try is with a piece of wood and a mallet carefully try to tap the seal further home. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #13511 28th Jul 2009 11:17am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Water (and condensation) flows through all doors - in is fine aslong as it has an out. Mike
Post #13531 28th Jul 2009 5:35pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Collected my G4 LE Defender back from the dealer today after it's MOT (passed with no advisory notes) and it has now new window seals under warranty, which are much better and more flexible, but I doubt 100 per cent waterproof as there are still small gaps by the front, which probably can be cured by some sealant. Looks a lot better thsn having ill fitting crummy seals!
Post #13556 28th Jul 2009 10:45pm
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
[img][url][img][/img] [/img]

ok, i give up, how do I insert a picture of my window seal?[/url]
Post #13581 29th Jul 2009 2:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>