↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Engine noise problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Engine noise problem
Right then, after some help please, 110 with approx 10k on it.

vehicle is driving as it should, no drop in performance or increase in mpg usage.

On the way to 7S this weekend (towing trailer with trayback on it) after coming off the M4 and dropping to A470 lights all is good. go to pull away and a squealing noise (similar to bearing failure, crud in belt, sticking belt) coming from the engine area.

does it in 1, 2 and 3rd gear, comes in about 2500 and stays until you change gear and go back up to 2500rpm

Its engine speed not road speed related. take your foot off the acc and it stops straight away.

it doesnt do it when cold.

its also intermittent, it doesnt always do it when up to temp and pulling away.

thoughts were air intake noise (split hose) or exhaust noise (manifold etc), but its not constant and performance is as always been as is mpg towing and no excess black smoke, other thoughts were tensioner bearing, but again it doesnt always do it.

when towing it seems to do it after a run and then stopping for a while and then pulling away. ie all the round abouts on the way home to rejoin A470.

am yet to have a re-occurrence when not towing.

i have one other thought but am keen to see what people come back with as a possible cause. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103198 28th Nov 2011 10:31pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
manifold / turbo joint leaking?

it was working hard
Post #103200 28th Nov 2011 10:34pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Have a closer look at the exhaust manifold studs, my TD5 gave exactly the same symptoms as you describe and the studs on #1 and one on #5 had snapped.
Post #103218 29th Nov 2011 12:08am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Check your intercooler hose, the steering uj rubs on it and is difficult to tell without removing it, feels ok and nearly impossible to see when fitted, easy to remove and a cheap fix.
Post #103228 29th Nov 2011 12:42am
jst

ok, will check both cheers.

one thing to note is that it doesnt always do it under load when hot, that is intermittent too. plus if a hose or manifold would it not do it all the time when it is worked hard. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103256 29th Nov 2011 11:07am
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
It sounds to me like a leaking turbo/manifold joint. The expansion when hot may be enough to silence it a bit, but it'll squeal from initial cold start.

It sounds related to engine load, so the turbo will be working hard, and so making it squeal. When you ease off the throttle to drop the engine load, it stops.
Post #103289 29th Nov 2011 2:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
GREENI wrote:
Check your intercooler hose, the steering uj rubs on it and is difficult to tell without removing it, feels ok and nearly impossible to see when fitted, easy to remove and a cheap fix.

What he said !

Your symptoms exactly match what mine was doing when I had a hole caused by the clamp bolt at the bottom of the steering column on the steering box input shaft rubbing on the turbo to intercooler hose.

At first is whistled only when hot and under load (the hose is stiffer when cold) and steadily got worse; eventually the MIL will come on and you'll have no power. You can't see the damage without taking the pipe off, but you can effect a strictly temporary repair with duct tape (but it will only last 100 miles or so, but it's long enough to get you to the parts department).

When fitting a new one it is really easy to ensure that it is well clear of the bolt and the problem won't recur. It only happens because the hose is carelessly fitted in the first place.
Post #103291 29th Nov 2011 2:25pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I have a genuine spare going cheap too !!!

I hate pushy sales Confused
We ordered some and sent them Silicon Hoses to copy, so we have them here, not being pushy honest Neutral
Post #103295 29th Nov 2011 3:02pm
jst

ok, cheers guys will check tomorrow. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103408 29th Nov 2011 10:01pm
jst

checked all hoses and manifolds today, all look good and nothing loose.

also took the ancil belt off, all tensioners were good, no excessive play etc.

i am yet to replicate the noise with normal driving even under heavy load taking it upto 4000rpm.

my only thoughts were that each time it occurred would of been when the viscous would of been locked up. ie come off motorway and or a road section with good ram air, drop down to a trundle or stop with a couple of pull aways' and you get the noise. all these with the trailer on.

could a viscous be loading the belt to make it squeal?

other thought was maybe the dealer didnt put the air cover box back on correctly at service, but it would of thought that would always be apparent under load.

it is quiet when cold, noise only apparent about 3-5 times now all when towing excess 3T and after a longish ram air trip whilst dropping down to slow speed and then pulling away. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103530 30th Nov 2011 3:30pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
If the airbox cover wasn't on correctly you'd know in a few minutes of normal driving, it's very obvious.

Have you checked the air intake itself? Do you have a snorkel? if so check that too. poke a wire coathanger down it and have a feel about.

You say its engine SPEED related, do you possibly mean its engine load related? From the description it sounds like load related.

If you drive it and it does it, what effect does changing down a gear have? changed down and put your foot to the floor, see if it does it then - the engine will be under less load than in a higher gear going up a hill for example, even though the revs are lower in the latter example. When you change down, engine spins faster, water pump works quicker etc etc etc ie less overall load.

So far I agree with Gary though.
Post #103669 30th Nov 2011 9:40pm
jst

BigMike wrote:

but it doesnt do it when cold.

didnt try changing down, just up and it still did it, a 'lower' pitched noise that increased with engine speed.

if it does it again (or when it does it again) i will change down.

the sound is more akin to the noise a belt makes when slipping, does a leaking manifold sound like that? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103676 30th Nov 2011 9:49pm
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Mine did exactly the same - I went through all the checks (intercooler hoses, steering bolt, turbo gasket) without seeming to find a particular culprit.

Mine sounded exactly liek you describe - Squealing noise (like slipping belt), which only happened when the engine was warm (used to happen every morning after I had driven car 25 mins. to drop son off at school, stopped for 10 mins. then restarted it and pulled away).

Still don't know exactly what caused it, but in my case it went away at the same time as the dealer replaced my clutch assembly under warranty. I now wonder if it could have been release bearing related...

jst wrote:
BigMike wrote:

but it doesnt do it when cold.

didnt try changing down, just up and it still did it, a 'lower' pitched noise that increased with engine speed.

if it does it again (or when it does it again) i will change down.

the sound is more akin to the noise a belt makes when slipping, does a leaking manifold sound like that?

2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #103712 30th Nov 2011 11:58pm
jst

szracer wrote:
(used to happen every morning after I had driven car 25 mins. to drop son off at school, stopped for 10 mins. then restarted it and pulled away).

could be clutch related, but mine doesnt do it every time, in fact its only did it last weekend when towing. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #103733 1st Dec 2011 7:53am
jst

still haven't had this fault repeat itself yet.

if it was a split hose would i not get the code PO299 as per Petes email for the LR hose check Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #109642 24th Dec 2011 8:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>