↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Wood Burning Stove for home
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Wood Burning Stove for home
I'm in the market for a wood burner - had a good look around, and in my experience:

1. Needs to be made in UK, Europe - not Chinese
2. Needs to be about 8-10KW based on room dimensions
3. Like the look of the Scan Andersen 10

Does anyone have a Scan or can recommend a wood burner ? (I'm not keen on steel plate, i'd rather go for cast)
Post #171734 29th Sep 2012 8:10am
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've had three different makes to date, and in my experience would only entertain a Hunter. Uk made, well emgineered, and they work, every time. Anything else will be trouble.

Pete
Post #171743 29th Sep 2012 9:02am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
XS Pete wrote:
Anything else will be trouble. Pete

Laughing Based on what exactly?????

I have a Stovax as you know Steve and 'in life' a woodburner has been one of the best purchases I have ever made for practicality.

I have a Stovax 'Huntingdon' and it has given me excellent service over three to four years and continues to do so.
My friends have had the same Parkray in the KW category you wish to purchase for over 35 years and that too continues to provide faultless service.

I would advise to get one with an 'airwash' system that negates the requirement for glass cleaning. It basically redirects the hot air over the glass and burns any soot deposits off the glass. Labour saving.....

Speak to those in the know at the Multi Fuel Heating Centre at Ringwood and elsewhere, they're not loyal to one brand and will provide you with the recommendations and experience you require, they also have quite an extensive display with several of them in action. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #171748 29th Sep 2012 9:16am
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ok. Maybe I was a little harsh there.

I had a big Stovax in the last house we lived in for about 8 years, and other than having to refix the glass rope seals back on the doors periodically, and replace part of the grate as I distorted it form running it continually too hot with wood, it wasn't too bad. I seem to remember Stovax were a bit difficult to get part from though. Personally, I'd still stick with Hunter though.

Good call about the glass wash. Stoves without get really dirty really quickly and I also find it much quicker to get up to temp once lit than without.

Pete
Post #171751 29th Sep 2012 9:54am
K9F

It also depends of course on the usage intended for the stove....

Mine is not a primary source of heat but when used correctly will offset what I spend on gas which is my primary heat source.
8-10 KW would I presume be a primary source as the heat output from that would be like a blast furnace at max chat.

Realistically if not used as a primary heat source I would say based on my own experience that a 5-8KW dual fuel (not just wood) would be ample for anyones purpose. Otherwise you're just burning wood needlessly perhaps.

There are many different makes and styles out there and numerous well-proven ones. Without really knowing your taste Steve a recommendation isn't really worth much as they may not make the style you're after. Go look see! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #171752 29th Sep 2012 10:03am
chris h

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
We have had a Clearview Stove in our house for 20 years. British made, but not cast.
We have it regularly serviced and it looks like new. Still with the same, clear glass from day one.
It is the best, single purchase I have ever made for our home.
Echoing a comment above, don't get too big a stove. The modern ones burn efficiently and burn hot. 2009 110 SVX 60th Anniversary - Santorini Black
Post #171756 29th Sep 2012 11:00am
K9F

chris h wrote:
Echoing a comment above, don't get too big a stove. The modern ones burn efficiently and burn hot.

They do indeed! Even mine at a 'measly' 4.5KW heats an open plan to the rest of the house conservatory 4.5m X 5.5m and occasionally windows and or doors have to be opened to reduce the heat build up in the Winter. Mind you I do have a tendancy to overload it with wood now and again. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #171757 29th Sep 2012 11:17am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Have you considered the new range of pellet stoves. Look similar to a wood burner but with the advantage of self lighting with a remote control. Load the hopper with pellets every couple of days when in use and enjoy.

If you want one I can get them at a good price Wink

http://www.pipinghotstoves.com/index.php/p...a-514.html 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #171762 29th Sep 2012 12:15pm
K9F

Landlord wrote:
Have you considered the new range of pellet stoves.

I like it! Thumbs Up The idea of being programmable negates the need to have dual fuel as coal stays lit longer if you're going out or overnight. The pellets seem reasonably priced too. Adding a flue if you need one would work out more costly than a traditional one by quite a margin. Woth due consideration though in my opinion if you haven't got a woodburner already at a glance...

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #171773 29th Sep 2012 1:52pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
I run a Morso which are a Scandinavian brand (Danish?) which is cast and fitted with a back boiler to do my central heating. Tihs is my only source of space heating for the house and was relatively exensive so may be a bit of overkill if you have a central heating system in place already.

May be worth looking into pellet stoves as they may qualify for the Renewable Heat Incentive scheme which might mean it will pay for itself over a few years.

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/meet...m_pay.aspx
Post #171779 29th Sep 2012 2:39pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
We have the Regal 10kw see here http://www.bernard-davis-stoves.co.uk/stoves2.html

Was in the house when we bought it but a great wood burner.

Simon 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #171780 29th Sep 2012 3:07pm
pom

http://www.villager.co.uk/ are pretty good. Ive got a small one in the lounge and its hotter than the surface of the sun when going at full chat!

Pom
Post #171783 29th Sep 2012 3:42pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I have a Scan wood stove and really would recommend it. The living room is about 5x9 m, I really have to be careful not to have the stove to make it to hot in the room. Just after I had it (have it now for more than 15 years - and still as good as new), I had to learn how to burn it. Sometimes we had the garden door open because of temperatures in excess of 25C Laughing
I'm very happy with it! Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #171786 29th Sep 2012 4:11pm
Surrey Rover

I've have two Stovax stoves, I wouldn't buy another. I have a monster one in France (Stovax) whilst it belts out the heat and performs to task the fitting is poor, the seals have needed yearly attention and no matter how you position the seals and the doors it still has leakage around the door, albeit small.

I have a Charnwood in the UK and they are fantastic, fits your spec and has never needed any attention, highly recommended http://www.charnwood.com/. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #171802 29th Sep 2012 6:29pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
We have had a Hamlet (part of the Villager group) for about 5 years now with no problems. I also make the occasional parts for Charnwood as they are on the Isle of Wight & they do look like they are well made.
Post #171806 29th Sep 2012 6:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>