↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Stupid things I've done in my 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Stupid things I've done in my 110
Seeing threads about dodgy hard to use gearboxes reminded me of some dodgy, skill less driving I've done

1) towing the tintent back from the lakes , stopped for coffee, after setting off again suitably refreshed thought the engine was struggling a bit and making a bit of a roaring noise. 15 minutes later realised I was still in 4th gear - fail! So that's what the rev counter is for!

2) again towing the tin tent, heading off to a game fair, thought I'd broken the gear change as I couldn't get top gear, then remembered that top gear was down instead of up in the 90 which only has five - fail again! So that's what the little grooves on the top of the gear knob are for, rather than just collecting dead skin and take away detritus!

Anyone else a total dork or is it just me.

DJ

Ps - if anyone from the dealers is reading this - no it's not broken yet, 2 years 1 month to go Mr. Green 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #170602 24th Sep 2012 11:08pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Nice lad Laughing
Post #170605 24th Sep 2012 11:15pm
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Low range, first gear at tickover down a rutted farm track, stopped at the end by a main road, got out, locked the gate and walked back up to the farm to hand the keys back. Wandered back down to the Landy, edged up to the side of the road, saw a gap in the traffic... VROOM - 5mph... still in low range... Doh!
Post #170608 25th Sep 2012 12:12am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The wife of a friend of mine borrowed his V8 lightweight to go to work about ten miles away. When she got home she complained how rubbish it was as it wouldn't go above 50mph. It was, of course, in low box and I can only imagine the noise Rolling with laughter Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #170612 25th Sep 2012 6:33am
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
First time I drove an S3 I wad stuck in low and couldn't work out how to put it in high. Did about 5 miles before I found the hi ratios. Embarassed BM52
Post #170657 25th Sep 2012 9:23am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Just 2 days ago

Transporting my small tractor back home in the horsetrailer. The loader has to stick out the back so i can close the trailer. Done it a million times.

Backing up through the gate noticed resistance. thinking it was the auto-release reverse mechanism of the trailer playing up i engaged low to have a bit more power without additional speed.

5 attempts and 3 stalls later the GF came running out asking what was knocking the house so loudly....

Didn't realise the loader bucket was that high i was pushing the front wall above the gate of the house....
Embarassed

Another repair line added on the to-do list Evil or Very Mad

Laughing
Post #170676 25th Sep 2012 10:43am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Not in a 110 but an 80 series LC, bored at having sat through two changes of traffic lights without moving, I engaged low box and front and rear difflocks, then the lights changed and off I went, very slowly and tried to turn left - FAIL - blocked the junction whilst 'unlocking' and then having to reverse up to make the turn Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Post #170680 25th Sep 2012 10:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
towing a site dumper on a double axle ifor trailer with my old series 111 diesel.

hitched up trailer and got dad to check trailer lights were working; i thought he had released trailer brake and he thought i had! Two mile down the road i couldn't understand why 4 gear was such a struggle; pulled over and got out of the vehicle and i could smell the problem! Embarassed
Post #170684 25th Sep 2012 10:57am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I live on a busy main road and subsequently when I had a new front wall built had it shortened to make getting in and out of the drive easier. Got given a brand new 110 as a courtesy vehicle (my 90 was in for warranty work) not realising they had the turning circle of an oil tanker misjudged the turn into my drive completely, rush hour it was!....Traffic at standstill whilst I had to reverse and remake the turn. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #170685 25th Sep 2012 11:06am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Now, I know I'm a mere woman, but surely the key to knowing what gear you are in - and if you are in the wrong gear - is the engine note - you really shouldn't need to rely on a rev counter. Rolling Eyes Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #170714 25th Sep 2012 12:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pam - to be fair a lot of um' are probably getting on a bit in years and haven't got the best of hearing Whistle Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #170719 25th Sep 2012 12:33pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Says the man with a speaker the size of a dustbin under his left elbow Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #170721 25th Sep 2012 12:36pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
custom90steve wrote:
Pam - to be fair a lot of um' are probably getting on a bit in years and haven't got the best of hearing Whistle Rolling with laughter

What did he say?
Post #170724 25th Sep 2012 12:48pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
It was watching an "All knowing student" on a farm I used to work on trying to work out how to stop the engine on an old Series we used as a run around Rolling Eyes

Just one of those things we take for granted, we haven't allways had stop solonoids on diesels and it's only in the last 30years that we haven't had to pull the stop button to turn the engine off Rolling Eyes

He thought it was the choke Shocked and he wanted to be an agricultural mechanic Confused
Post #170725 25th Sep 2012 12:53pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Pam W wrote:
Now, I know I'm a mere woman, but surely the key to knowing what gear you are in - and if you are in the wrong gear - is the engine note - you really shouldn't need to rely on a rev counter. Rolling Eyes

I know that , but as MrsH was gabbling away in the passenger seat and the liquorice all sorts were open I had more things to think about Mr. Green

Like I said there was a 'bit of a roaring noise' and 'anyone else a total dork'

Fortunately these things never happen when MrsH is driving (apart from the trip round an off road course in the S3 with the handbrake on)

Oh and I forgot to mention side swiping my gatepost with the S3 whilst reversing a trailer, new wing required but never got round to it.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #170733 25th Sep 2012 1:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>