↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 09 with contaminated fuel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SGoggin

Puma 09 with contaminated fuel
Hello All,

I got the dreaded phone call from my dealer this week. The new PUMA was in for it's 10k service. And the fuel system is contaminated. This is an MY09 model and has the new breather location under the right rear wheel arch. I've checked with my fuel supplier and they have not had any issues with fuel. By chance it had rained quite a bit during the couple of weeks before it went in for the service.

Land Rover have refused to cover this under warranty. It now seems likely I will have to pay for a new fuel system.

I'm a bit frustrated because the PUMA defender has a fuel filter that requires a special tool to drain, ie to reprime the system. Therefore in my opinion this means that they have designed the system to be only serviced at the service intervals. This vehicle has been serviced at the service intervals, and therefore if the fuel filter was not sufficient then the issue should lie with Land Rover.....

Any way to cut a long story short - has anyone else had issues with water in fuel with the MY09 model?
Any help would be most appreciated - I cannot afford to pay $10k at the moment to repair it. I bought a new vehicle to avoid large repair bills like this.
Post #12638 4th Jul 2009 6:14am
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Re: Puma 09 with contaminated fuel
SGoggin wrote:
Hello All,

I got the dreaded phone call from my dealer this week. The new PUMA was in for it's 10k service. And the fuel system is contaminated. This is an MY09 model and has the new breather location under the right rear wheel arch. I've checked with my fuel supplier and they have not had any issues with fuel. By chance it had rained quite a bit during the couple of weeks before it went in for the service.

Land Rover have refused to cover this under warranty. It now seems likely I will have to pay for a new fuel system.

I'm a bit frustrated because the PUMA defender has a fuel filter that requires a special tool to drain, ie to reprime the system. Therefore in my opinion this means that they have designed the system to be only serviced at the service intervals. This vehicle has been serviced at the service intervals, and therefore if the fuel filter was not sufficient then the issue should lie with Land Rover.....

Any way to cut a long story short - has anyone else had issues with water in fuel with the MY09 model?

Any help would be most appreciated - I cannot afford to pay $10k at the moment to repair it. I bought a new vehicle to avoid large repair bills like this.

exactly fuel filtering system is NOT sufficient for purpose, TD% had more filters and no problems, they have cheapened it up and located the breather in the most stupid position which is basic, any 1st year engineering student would see the problem
see this Link : http://www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-130-defen...orrow.html
Look under the name dullbird who started the thread, they has the same problem and got Landrover to back down, 'Sold fit for purpose" springs to mind here and if the engineering is not right for the pipe to ingress water during road driving and not having a adequate fuel filtering system like TD5 which has more filters in the line etc they are liable also you are backed up as it is a acknowleged dault by Landrover See this link below so they are liable
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-130-defen...rds-3.html
Read here and search fuel problems, rough idle in the forums
the heading on page 3 service recall "rough idle Breather location so they are admitting a problem here
First thing I did was put extra pipe on the fuel breather to snorkel height
Heard of the same problem witha new Toyota 70 series v8 which gor water in the fuel system, they said no but pointed out it was "not fit for purpose" as sold for off road use etc (in realitly it was water in the fuel from the farm tank!!) Fuel rail etc, pump was above $30000 NZ but when mentioned lawyers, consumer TV program and the car guide Dog and lemon guide they backed down!!!
Also I Know here in New Zeland some Car insurance policies will cover Accidental damage which covers things like this, they will then pressure Landrover
good Luck
Post #12639 4th Jul 2009 7:12am
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
see here also how stupid the breather pipe position is
http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=h...n%26sa%3DG
Post #12640 4th Jul 2009 7:16am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Some ins companies here will cover miss fills so water in the fuel would also be covered,have you checked your Oz policy ? 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #12643 4th Jul 2009 10:09am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Some other points - you dont need a special tool to reprime - i know a few who have done it without.

Second - the fuel breather is not the only problem (although there have been some cracked and split) but the fuel filler cap is also a breather in effect and can let water in there.

Either way - land rover can be a Censored , but have paid our previously. Mike
Post #12653 4th Jul 2009 6:22pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: fuel filler cap.

I've got a "Defendoor" over mine (search for relevant threads) and this might be an added benefit. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #12669 6th Jul 2009 8:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1