↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Land Rover not displaying DC100 in this counrty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
SimonR

United Kingdom 
Land Rover has said that they intend the DC100 to be another model, distinct from Defenders - a half way, more consumer friendly utility vehicle.

If they get the balance right - something with creature comforts and ride quality more like the Disco, but the utility and ruggedness of a defender I think it will be a sure fire winner.

I love the utility of my Defender - but if I had to drive 1000 miles, I would rather be in a Range Rover. I therefore think there is a market for a vehicle I can use for towing, green laning and light off roading but is comfortable enough to drive across Europe on a whim.

If they get it right - I'll be buying one!

Si
Post #167290 10th Sep 2012 9:59am
nidge n

SimonR wrote:
Land Rover has said that they intend the DC100 to be another model, distinct from Defenders - a half way, more consumer friendly utility vehicle.

If they get the balance right - something with creature comforts and ride quality more like the Disco, but the utility and ruggedness of a defender I think it will be a sure fire winner.

I love the utility of my Defender - but if I had to drive 1000 miles, I would rather be in a Range Rover. I therefore think there is a market for a vehicle I can use for towing, green laning and light off roading but is comfortable enough to drive across Europe on a whim.

If they get it right - I'll be buying one!

Si

agreed Thumbs Up
Post #167366 10th Sep 2012 3:16pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
SimonR wrote:

This confuses me as I have done all that in my 110 with no problems, I have driven it for hours on end, driven from Eastern Germany to the UK in one sitting, and simply had no problems with it. It is perfectly comfortable, quiet, spacious enough for 5 adults, great sound system...and thats an off the shelf vehicle with no mods. The only thing I wish they would improve is fuel economy.
Post #167475 10th Sep 2012 8:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Honker

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
[/quote]It is perfectly comfortable, quiet, spacious enough for 5 adults, great sound system...and thats an off the shelf vehicle with no mods.[/quote]

You are talking about the Defender aren't you? Shocked I can only assume you have a high pain threshold... Very Happy

Stu
Post #167477 10th Sep 2012 8:24pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Love Defenders and despite all the problems I had with my 1st one would have another. However, you do have to 'get' the Defender it's £32k new and you can't sit in a front seat with a rear facing child seat (we've two babies so know this from experience). But once they're forward facing and accepting it you've just got to live them Wink

However to compete I'm guessing the DC100 will be cracking and once people accept it they'll love it. A series 1 is the best vehicle out in my mind, but I couldn't live with one daily and it just wouldn't work for my family. That's just progress really and being spoilt by power, comfort, etc. My 07 Ranger 2.5TDCi was less comfy than my Defender 2.4TDCi. But the new Ranger 2.2TDCi has more power than a Defender and gets a good review, plus it's about £24-25k in decent spec.

You pays ya money ya takes ya choice Wink
Post #167479 10th Sep 2012 8:32pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
22900013A wrote:
I have done all that in my 110 with no problems, I have driven it for hours on end, driven from Eastern Germany to the UK in one sitting, and simply had no problems with it. It is perfectly comfortable, quiet, spacious enough for 5 adults, great sound system...and thats an off the shelf vehicle with no mods. The only thing I wish they would improve is fuel economy.

With the addition of a moderate subwoofer under wifey's seat, I agree entirely.... and none of that "pain threshold" twaddle please - I'm as big a wimp as the next man Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #167483 10th Sep 2012 8:48pm
Honker

.[/quote]
With the addition of a moderate subwoofer under wifey's seat, I agree entirely.... and none of that "pain threshold" twaddle please - I'm as big a wimp as the next man Laughing[/quote]

Smile Nope 2 hours max in one stint then I need to stop for a leg stretch, back rub and frappuccino......

Stu
Post #167487 10th Sep 2012 8:54pm
SimonR

United Kingdom 
OK, just to qualify what I said. I too have driven long distances in a Defender. I find it engaging and interesting to drive - but not relaxing.

Years ago I had a Range Rover for commuting and sitting in the M25 Car Park and it was a completely different experience to my then 110. Quiet, comfortable & relaxing - which made up for the 10mpg it gave.

I would love to take my 110 skiing instead of flying - but I find the idea daunting. To the extent I've considered buying another Range Rover! I'd take the 110 on an expedition or adventure where the point of going is the driving but as a means of getting you from A to B and not being knackered when you get there it would not be my first choice!

Something that gives me the best of both worlds would be fantastic! I can buy that from Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Ford - but I want a Land Rover!

Si
Post #167490 10th Sep 2012 9:08pm
spudfan

Ireland 
This confuses me as I have done all that in my 110 with no problems, I have driven it for hours on end, driven from Eastern Germany to the UK in one sitting, and simply had no problems with it. It is perfectly comfortable, quiet, spacious enough for 5 adults, great sound system...and thats an off the shelf vehicle with no mods. The only thing I wish they would improve is fuel economy.

I agree with the above. I find the Puma a wonderful, sprightly, quiet,non tiring and enjoyable vehicle to drive. Have driven 5-6 hours at a stretch on non motorway roads and have got out feeling fresh -day and night. Also the sound system with tweeters fitted at factory is not bad. Fair enough not much bass but still fairly good and it can even be heard at fairly low volume levels.The seats are good even the second row and I have had no complaints from the troops or other passengers. And the steering wheel feels so good.
It must be the most driver and passenger friendly Defender yet. The 2.4 tdci really is wonderful on a long journey.
Used to do the same stuff in a 200 tdi for 14 years and I thought that was good but the Puma is a lot more people friendly. Fair enough 30 mph is about the most I get but I can live with that. Maybe if I drove a Range Rover I'd find that wonderful but I am sure that the current Defender Puma is every bit as refined and livable as earlier Range Rovers or Discoveries. It is the vehicle Defender drivers were hoping would someday arrive.
I have never owned anything but a Land Rover, first a 1990 turbo diesel for six years, then a 110 200 tdi and now a 110 Puma. All my comparisions are based on my previous Land Rovers and I think that the current one is the best yet. Only time I've driven a "car" is when thedealer gave me one while I got some work done on the Puma. I drive a van for my work and it is no where near as quiet, comfortable or as good to drive as the Puma but it is more economical on fuel.Puma wins hands down for me. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #167522 10th Sep 2012 11:30pm
Honker

You're all mad Very Happy , much as I love my Defender it is definetly at the agricultural end of the vehicle spectrum and offers a relatively unique driving experience today - and for the future. Quiet and refined are not words I'd be using in the same sentence as defender, unless prefaced by not. It's an iconic anachronism from a bygone era that shouldn't really exist in the modern motoring world, but that's why it's so much fun and why I enjoy driving it Very Happy

Stu
Post #167530 11th Sep 2012 6:34am
ZeDefender

Okay - I have a small admission to make Whistle
When I first got my 110, I couldn't sit in it for more than an hour without getting backache. Now, after fitting seat rail extensions and these pads:

I can sit for several hours and feel absolutely fine.
Amazing, but they make all the difference Thumbs Up
Sorry to go Off Topic but I guess it maybe useful for others...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #167532 11th Sep 2012 6:57am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As someone who has over the years suffered regularly from chronic back pain it has always surprised me that I find my '07 Puma has some of the most comfortable and back-friendly seats of any vehicle I have ever driven.

I suspect that the origins of my back problems was that fact that I used to drive about 15k miles a year in a Series 1 80" ragtop (canvas flap doorhandle, so extra draughty too) back in the late 1970s; that was seriously uncomfortable in so many ways. Also not good for your hearing.
Post #167550 11th Sep 2012 8:54am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
22900013A wrote:

Thumbs Up ... Last July/August went from Lisbon to Hendaye-Calais-Dover-Birmingham-Liverpool-Southport-Dover-Calais-Paris-LaRochelle-Asturias-Lisbon....6500km (aprox. 4040 miles)...No problem! Confortable enough, zero problems... Fuel consumption was indeed a little more than planned.

I imagined that if had done this trip in a RR, it would have been better (probably would have not get so tired after driving 1050km in one day)...but hey, the RR costs more 140.000€ than the Defender!(here at least!)

If the next Defende can be more confy, that's fine...But keep it a Defender, not a something-between because for that we have the freelander and the evoque...

As for the topic subject, I find strange that LR doesn't have the DC100 showing around in main dealers around the country, while they don't have international shows to display it... Confused Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #167564 11th Sep 2012 10:55am
ZeDefender

Have they made one (I mean a real one) yet? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #167619 11th Sep 2012 3:29pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I'm glad its not just me then. I guess some folks either have an extremely low "pain" threshold (i used " " as there is nothing painful about them) or they are just driving duff motors with unresolved problems.

I drive trucks for a living, you know, those machines specifically designed to be as un-tiring as possible for the poor sap who has to drive (and indeed LIVE in) one for hours, days, even weeks on end. I get backache in DAFs, I find Mercedes pretty good, but none of them as comfy as my 110. Sure some of them have more toys to play with (or distract you, depending on how you view them) but so what? I find the drive of the Defender perfectly comfy (in fact I don't even find my IIA to be uncomfortable, but it a little frustrating being so slow, but I don't mind as it is only a toy really) and has enough toys to keep me happy (ie, all of them) the drive is I think just the right mix of engagement/feedback and modern "numbness". They really do feel like a sensible evolution of the older models. As I said before, the only things I would change would be a bit more poke under the bonnet, and hopefully better fuel economy, but I see no problem whatsoever in the way they drive, comfort etc. I have owned and driven various cars and don't miss them at all, even if on paper they had better specs than the 110, in the real world they just don't.

I shan't waste my time "dissing" the DC100, those that like it have every right to do so and all power to you, but I think we need to remember that not everyone sees the current Defender as inherently broken.
Post #167650 11th Sep 2012 5:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>