↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Help! What to do?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyturbo2002

Spain 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Java Black
Help! What to do?
So, yesterday the wife informs me that the light switch finally bit the dust. I was hoping it would last till October when I have the extended warranty checkup...but I guess today is action day. So, I would like to hard wire the light so when the ignition is on, the lights are on. (we always have them on anyway, so it seems the logical and simplest thing to do). My quesiton to all of you who are more in the know than me is: Can I just junp the fuses? if so , which ones, and if not, What should I be doing? Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
John 2008 Defender 110 60 year Edition (sold unfortunately)
IN the hunt for another Puma for the wifey!
2008 Kia Sorento LX 😁 2.5crdi
Post #165043 29th Aug 2012 8:28am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I can't tell you which specific wires to connect off-hand, but you're going to need a relay that's triggered by an ignition live. This will, essentially, replace the existing manual switch. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #165046 29th Aug 2012 8:35am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's not clear from your post whether you mean sidelights or headlights or both.

You have two problems that I can see:-

1) To hardware the lights as you describe is not trivial, since it is not just a case of bypassing the switch (which would result in the lights being on irrespective of whether the ignition is on and a flat battery in next to no time). To combine bypasing the switch with an ignition-on-only feed is not trivial and is almost certainly more work and more costly than replacing the switch (which is cheap and easy to do).

2) It would be illegal to drive a vehicle on the road if the headlights cannot be turned off, since there are several situations in which it is illegal to have the headlights on when on the road. It is unlikely that you would be pulled over and done for this (unfortunately I have never heard of anyone being done for this, much as they deserve to be) but it is a risk.

I would suggest that the easiest remedy by far is to replace the switch
Post #165062 29th Aug 2012 10:43am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
It would be illegal to drive a vehicle on the road if the headlights cannot be turned off, since there are several situations in which it is illegal to have the headlights on when on the road.

Are you sure about that - a number of motorbikes have permanently wired on headlamps these days? John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #165074 29th Aug 2012 12:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
johnnyturbo2002

JSG wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
It would be illegal to drive a vehicle on the road if the headlights cannot be turned off, since there are several situations in which it is illegal to have the headlights on when on the road.

Are you sure about that - a number of motorbikes have permanently wired on headlamps these days?

Volvo's used to and probably still do always have their lights on...Motorbikes should have them on just so others can see them more readily.
Thanks for your reply, I will try to get it sorted this afternoon... 2008 Defender 110 60 year Edition (sold unfortunately)
Post #165078 29th Aug 2012 1:15pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
hi JT,

i concur with the others, get a new switch and if you have the time and inclination, wire in a couple of relays for the dip beam and full beam.

if you still need an ignition "on" live, then of you have an heated screen, then there's an option, or take it from the alternator.

when you remove the switch you will notice they are made from cheese, (well a soft plastic) and when they get warm they melt, this is why 100w bulbs are not recommended unless you add relays into the circuit.

LED headlights draw significantly less current compared to halogens (if you need a reasoning tool for the wife) and they have dropped in price recently.

good luck!
steve
Post #165079 29th Aug 2012 1:22pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
Hi John,

Surely if you bodge/hardwire the lights on this will invalidate your extended warranty anyway? Plus if you were going to wait until October to get it done, then get it done now under warranty, 2 months isn't going to make much difference! Trust me on this, if they can find any little way of getting out of a warranty work they will and bodging your headlight switch is a definite get out of jail free card for the warranty company! DON'T RISK IT!!!!

Regards,

Mark
Post #165081 29th Aug 2012 1:27pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Two situations when it is (as far as I know and it certainly used to be) unlawful to have your headlights on:-

1) when reversing

2) when stationary other than in stationary traffic (i.e., you've pulled up at the side of the road).

Motorcycles don't reverse, so 1) is not relevant. Volvos and other cars with daytime running lights do not use the obligatory dip beam for this purpose, hence not relevant.

I have however never, ever heard of anyone actually being done for either of these and the plice themselves are amongst the worst offenders - round here they always seem to have main beam headlights on if stationary at an incident at night thus making life very difficult for passing traffic. They have no exemption from this.
Post #165088 29th Aug 2012 1:46pm
johnnyturbo2002

thanks fo rthe info to all,
getting it sorted tomorrow morning with a local garage that specializes in Defenders...the reason for the "wait till October" is that the dealer that I bought it from is about an hour and a half away, so I usually wait until I have some time off to do a drop and sort for a few days. (It basically came down to a less expensive truck in Germany than an outrageously expensive truck in Switzerland...)
SO, thanks again for the help.
great bunch of guys on here! 2008 Defender 110 60 year Edition (sold unfortunately)
Post #165138 29th Aug 2012 6:16pm
johnnyturbo2002

blackwolf wrote:
Two situations when it is (as far as I know and it certainly used to be) unlawful to have your headlights on:-

1) when reversing

2) when stationary other than in stationary traffic (i.e., you've pulled up at the side of the road).

Motorcycles don't reverse, so 1) is not relevant. Volvos and other cars with daytime running lights do not use the obligatory dip beam for this purpose, hence not relevant.

I have however never, ever heard of anyone actually being done for either of these and the plice themselves are amongst the worst offenders - round here they always seem to have main beam headlights on if stationary at an incident at night thus making life very difficult for passing traffic. They have no exemption from this.

guess I was referring to the daytime running lights that are almost the same as the low beam headlamps. (?)
thyanks for clarifying
JT 2008 Defender 110 60 year Edition (sold unfortunately)
Post #165139 29th Aug 2012 6:19pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
interesting post. i drive with my dips on and it is now automatic for me to switch them on as i finish turning the key and as you can't really turn the key off with the lights on it acts as a reminder

i also use the headlight leveler to drop the lights a bit in day time to minimize risk of glare for other drivers.

i also carry a spare switch..............just in case. so far no problems at all. once the warranty is over i do plan to add a live feed and a relay for dip and beam.

did someone say it's OK to take a live feed from the alternator - i thought you should always take the feed from the battery? BM52
Post #165164 29th Aug 2012 8:03pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Feed from the alternator if you want an Ignition switched feed. Whistle LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #165199 29th Aug 2012 9:34pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I ordered some bits from VWP, so I can plug a lead into the existing headlamp socket, that switches a relay (low current) that then feeds the bulbs from a dedicated hi-amp feed from the battery... Really simple to do, not expensive, and will let you got to stupidly high wattage bulbs to melt the reflectors, and retains the existing switchery... 80/130 watt bulbs with Crystals really do light up the road! ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #165237 29th Aug 2012 11:37pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Shax - i would be very interested in the parts you used. BM52
Post #165238 29th Aug 2012 11:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Shax - I don't believe that wattage is legal though Confused Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #165240 29th Aug 2012 11:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>