↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive Defender ICE thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 60 of 69 <123 ... 596061 ... 676869>
Print this entire topic · 
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I got some 50th door speaker rings off Ken which I will be fitting at some point, I think they are roughly 6" I'll be putting 3 way components in so needed the door speaker holes. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #668355 2nd Dec 2017 2:10am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Hi Steve,
Yes people have fitted in the door cards, but I'm pretty sure most if not all have used spacer rings. A defender door isn't really that suited as the seat box and window motor limits mounting positions.. In an ideal world you'd mount them mid dooor, but you'd be resting your knee on them. Most mount them in the bottom of the door by your feet, which depending on your use of defender works for some.

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...G_0037.JPG

Lasalle make these http://www.lasalle-trim.co.uk/product/fron...using-pair if that helps Thumbs Up
Post #668382 2nd Dec 2017 9:59am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Jim - Yes, seems spacers definitely required.
As you say when I last looked I think there was a void of space there to the rear but the window mech is present too.

The door cards look good, but they are pre Puma and have manual window winder hole cut in them.
The moulded spacers as a whole door card looks superb and seamless but the price. Shocked

The other option in my view is above the rear door in that section, both doors and this location you could go 6".
Ideal to run along side the standard 10 or 13cm locations.

The doors and things aren't something I'm contemplating just now due to cost, and other things to sort first.
But, would be nice to have all factory fit locations used with upgraded speakers and front tweeters.
All running on their own dedicated loom and Amp.
And on top of that say a 4 channel Amp driving two 6" in the front and two 6" in the rear as well.

Definitely something to think about a lot, not worried about weather with the door locations much as there are plenty of Marine options that are good.
My bigger concern, especially with nice painted speaker grilles would be damage in that location.
Shopping bags, accidentally kicked etc etc.

As we know the standard 10cm or 13cm speakers all lack bass, but there are ways around complimenting it well too.

I have plans with mine as we speak, but at the moment I'm just working on factory fit locations and got grille painting etc to do as well.

I'm having a few parcels arrive from the USA at the moment. Twisted Evil

MK1 - Let us know how you get on when you get around to it. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #668404 2nd Dec 2017 12:53pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
The Focal K2 power crossover has an added option of setting the woofer to high or low position, playing around with this plus the + db foe the tweeter you can achieve a really full sound. For the bass gain of a 6" I dont think its of benefit to move into the doors. Interestingly though, I have the K2 powers in both, yet have each set up slightly different to achieve the same sound ?? Ray with his 3 way components will I think need the door card option, with the 4" cone and tweeter in the usual places.
Post #668417 2nd Dec 2017 1:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Finally got the time to go through all the pages on this thread at last, makes for interesting viewing and reading.
And thank-you also to Martin for reinstating some of the pics a certain photo sharing site removed. Rolling Eyes

I'm planning on changing all my speakers present for another higher power set of 4" ones, Amp driven.

Won't be going larger still on those...
Keeping my Tweeters as they are, currently running just a cheap JVC HU at which does fine for now.
(Not gong to embark on too much in one go!) And for its price is surprisingly good!

I am seriously considering 6.25" in doors, and above rear door again Amped.

I already have the speakers en route, one pair arrived the other day for the factory fit locations.
I hoping to get the Amp shortly for these too.

The 6.25" speakers I will need to look at afterwards, and the amp also due to cost.
But I will be running three Amps in the end hopefully and the custom fit work especially the rear to do.

The part that will slow me down will be the cost, which is near £1000 Shocked for everything now and that does not include my present Sub and Amp.
I think it's achievable, the speaker grilles look excellent and will custom paint them and all will match.

When I'm done power should be around 2600w, and will add better mid and bass range again.
Midrange is lacking just a little at the moment.
Amps will have the EL wire surrounding also hopefully! Plus they have their own red "light pipe" design etc.
The speakers, the 6.25" ones will also have some very special features, not just brilliant audio quality but visual and other benefits.

Watch this space.
Twisted Evil Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #668753 3rd Dec 2017 9:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Over half way there with my plans..

Does anyone have any plans for theirs coming up? Probably when it's not -2.C though. Laughing Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #689843 1st Mar 2018 12:37am
Custard1640

United Kingdom 
Pioneer double din install and raptor dash
This has transformed my TD5 110. Raptor dash was just £50 pioneer Apple car play head £350. Going to go win JL audio sub and new mid range speakers and tweeters.
Post #690849 4th Mar 2018 2:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #690850 4th Mar 2018 2:54pm
stephan123

United Kingdom 
Can anybody recommend a good plug and play replacement for the standard speakers and tweeters? I want to to keep original Alpine sub and headunit. I hear Rainbow are good...
Post #691950 8th Mar 2018 2:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The problem is your power source.

Do you have an Amp to drive what you want or relying on just the HU? If the latter, no problem but it limits wattage and output capablity a lot. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #691995 8th Mar 2018 5:40pm
stephan123

United Kingdom 
I want to stick with the factory headunit. After much deliberation, I have decided to go with the Rainbow DL-C4.2 comp set for the front and Rainbow DL-X4 coaxials for the rear.

I am told they are plug and play but noticed the screw points differ from those on the factory-fitted speakers. Hopefully I will avoid having to drill new holes in the dashboard Confused
Post #695553 22nd Mar 2018 11:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ah yes that’s a common thing, any holes however are always covered so not much to worry about. 👍🏻
If your keeping the factory HU and wanted an amp you can use hi level in (speaker signal input) instead for many amps. (Check).
Thus not requiring RCA inputs.

OR there are in-line mini amps to can wire in, or if you have standard ISO DIN plugs more or less plug straight in.
Just has a power feed to pick up and earth.
All fitted behind the dash Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #695566 23rd Mar 2018 12:10am
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Here a photo of my setup

After some changes to the setup I’am very pleased with it. I have:

Alpine ilx headunit. The CarPlay unit. Great
Focals speakers in the original holes including tweeters in the front
Alpine bass box mounted in a custom designed cubby box
Small alpine amplifier (i’am not a audiofile) but you need play louder than the wind noise Rolling with laughter
Front and rear camera. Rear camera will come on automatically when I shift in reverse. Front camera I have to tap on the head unit. The front camera I use at traffic lights. Since I have seat risers and i’am not too tiny I sat the whole time with my nose sticked to the windshield

Click image to enlarge
 a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #695579 23rd Mar 2018 7:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stephan123

United Kingdom 
I just noticed that the comp speaker set comes with a 2-way crossover Shocked Not sure what this does but I am hoping that I won’t need to fit it. Hopefully it will just be a case of swapping out the connections from old speakers into the new ones!
Post #695638 23rd Mar 2018 12:01pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
You will need to fit the crossover to your new speakers as the standard speakers have one built in. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #695654 23rd Mar 2018 12:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 60 of 69 <123 ... 596061 ... 676869>