↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > what trailer tent to buy ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sand Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
what trailer tent to buy ?
Hi guys I am looking to buy a trailer tent to fit to my Voyager trailer but not really sure what one to go for, has any of you had any experience with them or what ones to stay away from not looking for a roof tent has to be a trailer tent

thanks

Dave
Post #448940 25th Aug 2015 9:01am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
We've not got ours yet but have one on order. There don't seem to be that many choices available and in the end we went for a Howling Moon because it seems to be the most flexible, being suitable for touring with a very quick/simple pitch to a long stay where you can add all the extra bits to give a more comfortable stay with a bit of room. We also have long term experience of Howling Moon with our roof tent so are comfortable with the quality of their stuff.

We've gone for the XT Classic with multiroom and tailgate patio awning and will be mounting it on our Sankey trailer.

Choosing a roof tent gives you loads of options but trailer tents don't seem to have caught on in the same way so there aren't anywhere near as many people making them. Some of the tents we found in our search didn't seem to be available without buying the trailer with it ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #448998 25th Aug 2015 12:19pm
Sand Rover

Thanks for that ... yeah I have been looking at them for a while now, if you don't mind me asking where did you buy yours from and is it on order as its coming from south Africa

thanks
Post #449001 25th Aug 2015 12:24pm
davew

It's a real pain getting Howling Moon tents in the UK, our roof tent took 8 months from order to delivery but hopefully it won't take as long this time as we're hoping to get a full season out of it next year. It's on order from South Africa through their UK distributor.

If you're thinking of travelling abroad and need it in a shorter time frame (this year) it's worth considering other European distributors, I think it was the Dutch distributor we talked to last time and they had the roof tents in stock. Not sure if any of them will have stock of the trailer tents but worth considering if you're in a hurry. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #449071 25th Aug 2015 3:54pm
Sand Rover

Yip that's always the case why buying South Africa made products in the UK.. Not a lot of stock in the UK... They take your money then wait until they have enough to fill a container then place the order... Then charge like the light brigade Evil or Very Mad
Has anyone on the site bought direct from South Africa ? Dave what kind of body does your sankey have on it ...

Cheers
Post #449185 25th Aug 2015 7:51pm
davew

Currently the Sankey is a standard wide track MkIII, the plan is that we'll mount the tent on it "as is" use it for a year while we figure out what works for us and what doesn't and then look at replacing the tub with our own design when we know what we want.

The first stage of that is a simple canvas covered frame with zip access points to match those in the tent and give us access into the Sankey from the tent. The frame will support the tent and have a custom canvas cover.

The current design of the frame looks like this:

Click image to enlarge

With the tent mounted to the right hand side to get a good "fall" for the living area. This is the design with the tent visible:

Click image to enlarge

The frame is 30mm diameter steel tube so it'll be more than up to the weight of the tent and the rotational forces when the tent is deployed.

I'm taking the design to the canvas man next week before we get it built to get his input to ensure the spacing and longitudinal rails will support the canvas OK. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #449252 25th Aug 2015 11:17pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Looks good, but would it be worth considering To leave one of the arches out? If you have a canvas made with sides that can also open up, it would be easier to get stuff in and out.
Just an idea.
Post #449280 26th Aug 2015 7:50am
Sand Rover

That's looks good just need to make sure you have you enough height for your awning/room to work off the side of it, here is a picture of my trailer set up from a recent camping trip in wales, my defender got left at home for that trip. just don't tell,

I am looking at the Eezi-awn Globe drifter tent but still not sure what one to get or where to get it from ..

Click image to enlarge
Post #449297 26th Aug 2015 9:24am
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Hi

I think APB do them: http://www.expedition-equipment.com/produc...ailer-tent 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #449330 26th Aug 2015 12:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sand Rover

yeah they do but don't have the one I am after they have no stock of it but can order it for you and get it in the next container shipment from Africa ...
Post #449332 26th Aug 2015 12:13pm
Guy

United Kingdom 
Hi Dave.

If it was me I would buy from MyWay. I think that is who built your trailer.

Hope that helps.

Guy 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #449480 26th Aug 2015 6:44pm
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Yes, agreed. My Way trailer tents look good. 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #449483 26th Aug 2015 6:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sand Rover

Yeah did look at them just not sure if they are worth that kind of money compared to Eezi awn or the other top tent manufacturers, they more than double in price by the time they get to the uk

Cheers
Post #449552 26th Aug 2015 10:19pm
Guy

United Kingdom 
Not sure about prices, but Paul Stevenson is based in Lincolnshire. He has a website but seems to use Facebook a but more these days "MyWay Rooftents" on Facebook.

HTH 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #449688 27th Aug 2015 2:15pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Sand Rover wrote:
That's looks good just need to make sure you have you enough height for your awning/room to work off the side of it, here is a picture of my trailer set up from a recent camping trip in wales
]

The HM trailer tent has an integral room - unfolds with the main tent so you don't have to mess about zipping it on. We (as in davew above and me, his missus) have taken the optimum height for the 'drop' the room requiresfrom the HM website. It is lower than for our roof tent with its zip on annexe. We've also ordered an additional add-on room (for the dog/dogs) plus patio awning and sides. Looking forward to being able to set up and leave it all at campsite to take day trips. Major advantage of the trailer tent over our current roof tent setup! Very Happy Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #449800 27th Aug 2015 7:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>