↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > DC110 anyone ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Setok

Finland 
quentin wrote:

Right On Brother

(Actually the Jeep Rubicon comes close to the mark, Live Axles, Long Travel suspension, Diff Locks all round, but no Diesel engine in that model.)

Yeah, I don't get why they don't have a diesel there. Also load and towing capacity is much lower than the Defender. But I do like Jeep is proud to show off the Wrangler.
Post #160758 8th Aug 2012 2:54pm
Setok

Finland 
quentin wrote:

Right On Brother

(Actually the Jeep Rubicon comes close to the mark, Live Axles, Long Travel suspension, Diff Locks all round, but no Diesel engine in that model.)

Yeah, I don't get why they don't have a diesel there. Also load and towing capacity is much lower than the Defender. But I do like Jeep is proud to show off the Wrangler.
Post #160759 8th Aug 2012 2:54pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Setok wrote:
I remember reading that the Disco was, in fact, intended to replace the Defender, but didn't really happen due to continuing demand in the Defender. Can't remember the source, though.

Thats a new one. Perhaps you are thinking of the Challenger project, which was a Discovery-based attempt at the Wolf military Landrover. There was I think as an offshoot of that, some work looking into amalgamating Disco and Defender on one platform but nothing ever came of it.
Post #160974 9th Aug 2012 5:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TEAB

quentin wrote:
I hope they don't go to a common platform, If the Defender goes Independant Suspension I'll never buy one.

The new Nissan Patrol has gone IFS , Rumor of dropping the 70 series cruiser (in this market anyway) which makes the Current Defender & Mercedes G-Wagen the only 2 left with Live Axles . The Future is not looking good for proper 4x4's.

I ve been thinking about this today. Its not just the mechanicals/underpinnings that are the problem, body style is the main problem for me, imagine loading an Evoque up with tools/boxes etc Shocked Current 4x4 manufacturers seem to be creating sports cars with slightly more ground clearance. 4x4s, in my opinion are practical capable vehicles. I want something a bit more practical than being able to carry the 2.4 children and a picnic basket Laughing
When these new vehicles filter down into an affordable price bracket for me (at an age where they should be starting to be used for work etc) these cars will still be of no use due to the body style!
Obviously work is not the 'market' they are aimed at..... but surely the appeal for people wanting a 4x4 is the 'big, butch, practical' image? If you want a low, sleek, fast car then surely there are better options??!
Post #160995 9th Aug 2012 7:37pm
Setok

Finland 
TEAB wrote:

Obviously work is not the 'market' they are aimed at..... but surely the appeal for people wanting a 4x4 is the 'big, butch, practical' image? If you want a low, sleek, fast car then surely there are better options??!

You'd think so, wouldn't you. Yet people buy Porsche Cayennes and BMW X5s.

I agree on this, though. A Defender is the real thing. It would be pretty sad to lose that.
Post #160998 9th Aug 2012 7:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12