↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Any experience of Atlas Overland?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Any experience of Atlas Overland?
Hello folks,

Does anybody have any experience of the trips run by Atlas Overland? We're considering their Pyrenees trip in August '13 but it would be with our kids who'll be 8 and a half. I'm particulary interested in time spent driving and distance travelled each day.

On our first trip to Morocco ten years ago some friends of ours took children of a similar age so I know it can be done, but I don't want to subject ours to some sort of hardcore off-road marathon. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #153070 1st Jul 2012 4:47pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Yes - pyrenees trip is flat gravel tracks.

important to note that with atlas there is little/no support so if you breakdown, you're on your own

a better alternative in my view is uklandroverevents who have been doing pyrenees for many years and colin is a nice bloke to boot.
Post #153081 1st Jul 2012 5:40pm
shazzy90

i have been with atlas overland on three trips,alps pyrennes and morocco,and find the trips are of a 5 star rating every day is planned to perfect driving times,with very good routes plenty to see and the back up is second to none.
on every trip i have been on i have had the misfortune of breaking down and never been left on my own . the trips always have one back up vehicle and sometimes two,as i say i have broke down every time ,the support i got was far beyond the call of their duty ,from breaking injector to a fuel pump in morocco ,they never failed to get me going again,whether it be a road side fix or arranging parts being flown in from the uk ,on overnight services,they never failed me ,and NEVER LEFT ME ,
i also find on the trips you will always meet up with new and more importable people who have been on trips with atlas before as we know the trips are good and keep coming back.
it took me three years off research before i booked my first overland trip hearing all different horror tales that had happened on trips with tour groups,but then i went with atlas like all things we buy if you find a product you can trust you will buy again,and this is what i find with atlas,maybe not the cheepest out there but i think they have been around the longest and are good at what they do
Post #153086 1st Jul 2012 6:31pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Atlas Overland gets another 5 stars from me.

We went with Pete to Corsica in 2008 and having traveled with a number of other operators, he is one that I would reccomend wholeheartedly.

Not sure of the other trips, but Corsica was about 6 hours driving per day, with one rest day in the middle. We had a family with us who had a 2 year old and 2 dogs with them and as far as I know there were perfectly happy with the way the days were laid out.

As for support, Pete normally travels with either Alex or Carrick who are both able to offer basic repair help and advice, which in my opinion is all you should need. If it is serious enough to be out of the capability of those guys then you want it in a garage to do it.

I went on one trip with a mechanice as support - when one of the other cars alternaot broke, he couldn't be bothered to help out, saying it was an easy job and we could manage - we did, but felt a little peeved to say the least. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #153104 1st Jul 2012 7:14pm
Peter Girling

United Kingdom 
Atlas Overland Adventure Tours
Hi Darren,

Glad to hear that you're thinking of joining one of our tours. We've been running our Pyrenees tour for 10 years and it's a fantastic trip. Loads of off-roading on spectacular tracks & trails. The scenery changes every day from the lush forests of the Basque country, through the rustic smugglers tracks into and out of Andorra (no customs for us) to the high pastoral routes criss crossing the French/Spanish border. All of our campsites are family-run and a warm welcome is assured.

Regarding support, we have two modern expedition vehicles equipped to deal with most situations from mechanical breakdown to technical recovery. Both vehicles are equipped with satellite phone, UHF radio, duplicate GPS navigation sets and comprehensive expedition medical equipment. Our staff are employed by us, not agency drivers and are fully qualified expedition guides. We've just completed our 30th Saharan expedition and have clocked up over 40 European adventure tours.

In the case of mechanical breakdown, we aim to fix most problems on the track. If this isn't possible we will endeavour to recover the vehicle to the nearest road. As an example last year we have recovered a Camel Trophy Defender from the Tunisian desert back to mainland Europe. We also recovered a terminally ill Land Cruiser 400 miles from the Ksar Ghilane dune field back to France. Breakdowns are not uncommon on tour and we would never leave anyone to fend for themselves. Over the years we have done about every job possible on a Defender including puncture repair, wheel bearing replacement, UJ replacement, shock absorber and spring upgrades, half shaft replacement, fuel tank and pump replacement, lift pump replacement, brake system full fluid change, Puma vacuum pump replacement, as well as a whole load of field repairs to customers' vehicles and equipment. all of this was done either on the track or on campsites. We've carried out this work at 45degC in the Sahara desert and at minus 10 in the Arctic. We make no charge for our labour - it's all part of our service. We have a network of favoured garages who have dealt with major repairs from cylinder head to transmission problems.

We have a UK back up network and can arrange for parts to be DHL'd anywhere. One recent repair was to a Discovery 2 with a ruptured airspring. When the local French Land Rover dealer couldn't be bothered we flew out a complete set of springs and shocks from the UK and had the car back on its' wheels in a couple of days so our customers could continue with their holiday.

Our staff are trained in crisis management and our customers safety is our top priority. We were involved this year with the medical evacuation of a customer back to the UK even though they were on their way to join our trip and technically not our responsibility.

For our UK trips we liaise closely with Rights of Way offices and the Ministry of Defence for our Salisbury Plain weekends.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit but I believe we provide an excellent service and as 70% of our customers re-book year on year we must be doing something right.

If you'd like any further information on any of our tours, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Happy trails,

Peter Girling
Managing Director
Atlas Overland Adventure Tours
Post #153121 1st Jul 2012 7:43pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
You best get your wallet out and sponsor the forum Mr. Green
Post #153156 1st Jul 2012 8:46pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
GREENI wrote:
You best get your wallet out and sponsor the forum Mr. Green

just what i was thinking...........now i am thinking about my holiday plans for 2013. any chance the camp sites can have tents with solid roofs, a soft bed with ensuite and room service Whistle BM52
Post #153161 1st Jul 2012 9:12pm
Peter Girling

United Kingdom 
Sponsorship
Hi Guys,

I'm quite happy to contribute to the running of the forum. Just wanted to assure you that we look after our customers. If you want tents with solid roofs etc. I'm sure we can provide. Full English breakfast too?

Happy trails,

Peter
Post #153172 1st Jul 2012 9:52pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Re: Atlas Overland Adventure Tours
Peter Girling wrote:
We also recovered a terminally ill Land Cruiser 400 miles from the Ksar Ghilane dune field back to France. Breakdowns are not uncommon on tour and we would never leave anyone to fend for themselves.

Care to expand a little on the landcruiser episode?
Post #153185 1st Jul 2012 11:12pm
Peter Girling

United Kingdom 
Land Cruiser recovery
Yup,

Rear diff blown. (7 teeth stripped from crown wheel as we later found out) Removed rear prop, locked centre diff and continued in front wheel drive. However we were worried about putting all the strain on the front axle in the dunes so towed it out. Put it on a straight bar up the pipeline piste north to the tarmac and then arranged a towtruck to Tunis port.

Happy trails,

Peter
Post #153188 2nd Jul 2012 12:44am
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks for all of the feedback, folks. It all sounds very promising. Peter, I can only assume that the electronic version of your ears were burning Laughing

Mike, the ukLANDROVERevents trip is a very different proposition, whereby you stay in a chalet for a week and do day trips out into the mountains. Not what I had in mind at all, I'm afriad. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #153204 2nd Jul 2012 7:06am
Mick Clark

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Darren,
We have been on six trips with Peter and have been very impressed with the organisation and care that is taken to ensure that everyone is looked after and has a great time. The trip to the Pyrenees for an eight year old will be and adventure that he will remember for the rest of his life.

Book the trip, you are in very safe hands and enjoy yourself.

Mick & Anne.
Post #153208 2nd Jul 2012 7:23am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Mudrut run Pyrenees tours - a couple each year, PM Ian and find out when the next one is running, I believe late summer
Post #153235 2nd Jul 2012 12:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

Mick Clark wrote:
Darren,
We have been on six trips with Peter and have been very impressed with the organisation and care that is taken to ensure that everyone is looked after and has a great time. The trip to the Pyrenees for an eight year old will be and adventure that he will remember for the rest of his life.

Book the trip, you are in very safe hands and enjoy yourself.

Mick & Anne.

Thanks, folks. Still considering options, but it does sound very good. Oh, and we've got twins, so it'll be a boy and a girl Shocked

bpman wrote:
Mudrut run Pyrenees tours - a couple each year, PM Ian and find out when the next one is running, I believe late summer

Not in the school holidays, I'm afraid. We've looked at the details of quite a few companies now and there are only a few that offer trips in late July/August, which is a must for us. We've looked at Atlas and spoken with them at shows a few times over the last few years and always been pretty impressed, but it's only now that we're ready to consider a trip of this nature with the kids. Darren

Post #153239 2nd Jul 2012 12:59pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I did one a while back with Landtreks and they were pretty good, nice people as well. Ours was single campsite based but most of them are overnighting at several campsites (or hotels if you prefer)

Worth an email as they seemed pretty accommodating when we did ours.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #153249 2nd Jul 2012 2:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>