↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 13 pin towing electrics installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi Pouf,

The relay is voltage sensing, so is powered by the ignition by only activated when the alternator is charging. There isn't a separate switch.

There are two fuses in the circuit - can't remember what they each do off hand.

Hope that helps. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #164749 27th Aug 2012 6:37pm
pouf

Greece 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Thumbs Up thanks Darren!
i think it is the same
At Tdci, the relay ''close'' for the switch of rear heated glass with the ignition too

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  www.newfoundland.gr
Post #164968 28th Aug 2012 9:03pm
megatoad

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Zinke wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
That is odd. The 12N socket that I removed also had several wires that weren't connected.

Yes there is 9 wires in the gray plug but only 7 in the trailer plug, the other 2 are just in the loom.

Ive got all the wiring colours if anybody needs them, mines a 03 TD5 but dont think its changed on the puma.

Pete.

Hi Zinke

Do you now if there is a charging live wire in there for activating an older split charge relay in a 12s socket?

I confess afetr fighting to fit a 12s loom into my TD5 110 I hadn't the feintest idea where to find a suitable charge supply to drive the relay so naughtily used an ignition live, which I know kind of defeats the object of the split charge relay.
Post #165099 29th Aug 2012 2:47pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: 13 pin towing electrics installation
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I've spent all day fitting a 13 pin electrics kit to my 110 and can confirm that it's a right pig of a job Rolling Eyes The kit was part no. YWJ500050.

Next was mounting the socket. I should really have done this first as it was slightly awkward with the wiring loom in place. Still, a quick cardboard template later and three holes were drilled and rivnuts fitted. With the original 12N socket removed, the rear looks much tidier:

Click image to enlarge

Feel better about leaving this to be done by the main dealer now having been told it wasn't a simple plug & play job.

Is that the "official" place to fit the socket? I rather like it there rather than being more exposed underneath so will need to mention it to the dealer before they start if it is not...

Last edited by Supacat on 22nd Oct 2012 9:10am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #177767 21st Oct 2012 8:05pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If youre connecting a 7-pin trailer plug to the vehicles 13-pin socket, an adapter is required.

Although the installation shown is much neater than the socket being stuck on the tow-bar, I wasnt sure whether or not it might prove awkward using one. But if theres no problem attaching the adapter to the socket, I might yet change its position (probably when I next wash my truck, not before 2013).

Peter
Post #177783 21st Oct 2012 8:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

Supacat wrote:
Is that the "official" place to fit the socket? I rather like it thate rather than being more exposed underneath so will need to mention it to the dealer before they start if it is not...

No, the position in the instructions is on a bracket on the tow bar, but this is neater and less prone to damage.

Birdy wrote:
If youre connecting a 7-pin trailer plug to the vehicles 13-pin socket, an adapter is required.

Although the installation shown is much neater than the socket being stuck on the tow-bar, I wasnt sure whether or not it might prove awkward using one. But if theres no problem attaching the adapter to the socket, I might yet change its position (probably when I next wash my truck, not before 2013).

The regular plug fits without any issue and I can't see an adapter being any different. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #177836 21st Oct 2012 10:11pm
Supacat

Darren thanks for the clarification. Main dealer may be reluctant to move it here then, especially if it's more work drilling and fitting rivnuts. I can't see a way of moving it afterwards without removing the harness - which rather defeats the point of having the dealer fit it in the first place!

Only way around that is if I ask him to leave it off, do the drilling and rivnuts myself and then give it back to him to finish.

Do you have any other photos showing more of a side/top angle? I'm keen to see just recessed the socket is. If you have any of the plug fitted also that would be good - it will show the clearance of the lid against the surround of the crossmember.

Thanks.
Post #177891 22nd Oct 2012 9:17am
LandRoverAnorak

No problem. The best picture that I have to hand is this one, which gives an idea of how recessed the socket is:

Click image to enlarge

I haven't got one of a plug connected, but I'll see what I can do in the next day or so.

Thinking about it, I'm sure that others on here have had it fitted in that position by their dealer. Perhaps it depends on how accomodating they are, but it's got to be worth asking before committing yourself. Darren

Post #177893 22nd Oct 2012 9:24am
Supacat

Darren - thanks for extra photo.

It can't hurt to ask the dealer but now he's got my money the relationship may have changed! Laughing
Post #177901 22nd Oct 2012 10:00am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Just been re-reading this thread as it has lots of good info on it. Smile
Seems simple enough if you can be a contortionist.
The reversing light feed is a right pain in many aspects, I'm assuming in the genuine electrics the way I read this that;
A, It's used as a trigger for the relay so reversing lights power are battery direct fed not fed direct from LR reversing feed.
B, the connector is an add in loom to the reverse plug to avoid any cutting.

The damned reversing light is a sod to locate, unless I'm just thick. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #319400 27th Mar 2014 12:19am
LandRoverAnorak

A - no, it's just connected to the existing loom. There's no need for a relay for the reverse lights. The relay is for the feed that charges a battery and charges a fridge in a caravan.

B - yes, that's right. Darren

Post #319423 27th Mar 2014 8:37am
custom90

United Kingdom 
So the trailer lights power is taken direct from the reverse light feed? How can that be? Surely unless your running LEDs that'd over load. Especially incandescent lighting would.
Am I missing something? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #319453 27th Mar 2014 11:02am
LandRoverAnorak

It's just designed for it from the outset. It's exactly the same with stop/tail and indicators - trailer lighting has always worked this way. Darren

Post #319455 27th Mar 2014 11:06am
Dasher

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I have my kit all in place except for the bl**dy reversing light feed. I can't even find the connectors that are sandwiched in the tunnel. Can someone please confirm that the 2015 2.2 Puma still has this arrangement. All that I can find is a much larger connector block, to the rear of the gap between the NS rail and the gearbox. Its an LR Kit - identical to the one used at the head of this thread.

Also, if decide not to break into the reversing light line (even if I can find it), is it possible that the rest of the system will arm OK? - i.e. I get the charging for the caravan battery and 'fridge - just lose the reversing lights. i've yet to take the final feed to the positive terminal.

The loss of reversing lights at the caravan doesn't really bother me.
David
Post #522355 8th Apr 2016 10:25pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
OT
Please could you let me know here you got your rear quarter protector bars

Thanks
Post #522361 8th Apr 2016 11:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>