↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Leak - where do I start to look?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AlisterC

Wales 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Indus Silver
Leak - where do I start to look?
Heavy rain here today, all day, and the Defender sat on the drive, didn't move

Went to get something out of it just now, and there is a puddle of water on the drivers side rubber mat. Not a huge amount, but enough that I had to take it out and shake it off.

Felt all around the area, the mats either side, door pillars etc, could not find an obvious place that it was coming in. The puddle was directly under the brake pedal, or looked that way. It could have just ended up there of course and there was no signof wet on the pedal or above it

I know this is a difficult question,but any obvious or known places that I should look?

Still under warranty, should I just book it in and leave it to them to try and fix?

Any thoughts appreciated
Post #151491 22nd Jun 2012 10:52pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Leak - where do I start to look? Whistle Laughing

Try the search facility..... Thumbs Up I've done it for you...

Here:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go...4030814037 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #151496 22nd Jun 2012 11:12pm
AlisterC

Thank you K9F

Didn't search and should have, my bad, but really useful information, thank you.

Guess it will be out with the hose tomorrow
Post #151498 22nd Jun 2012 11:22pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
AlisterC wrote:
Guess it will be out with the hose tomorrow

You're welcome and happy hunting! Thumbs Up If you've got a couple of rug rats get them to cower in the footwells with a torch with a prize for who finds the torrent first.
I know how frustrating it can be. Mine was down to the widscreen seal not being sealed correctly and being full of crud, water was then tracking through the crud....

See here:

http://defender2.net/forum/topic9478.html?highlight=windscreen

Especially Fekete's response here:

http://defender2.net/forum/topic2126.html?highlight=seal If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #151501 23rd Jun 2012 12:11am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
the classic leak spots are:

a) where the outside of the door curves outwards, the rubber can get a bit twisted and tired and starts to leak
b) the roof gutter may deteriorate over time - just needs some dumdum filler
c) windscreen rubber around the top - a tiny imperfection lets lots of water in
d) at the end of the roof, at the front, above the doors there's sometimes filler missing

from what you have described, yours sounds like (a)

keep us posted ... don't worry, it's all part of defender ownership and you will be able to fix it Thumbs Up
Post #151502 23rd Jun 2012 6:07am
AlisterC

Thanks BPman...I appreciate the advice and encouragement!

Won't stop being at the show in Shepton Mallet tomorrow

I hope everyone going has a great time, it looks like the weather has turned a bit kinder today for it .

Alister
Post #151518 23rd Jun 2012 9:37am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Just my experience:
1) when it's heavy rain the water drains down the slant on the roof forwards and into the top of the windscreen rubber, then tracks down to empty behind the dash and down onto my feet. Rolled up paper towels just below the windscreen behind the dash give the clue Wink Sealing the rubber to the frame worked.
2) When it's heavy rain and I'm driving fast, water gets driven up into the frame-to-bulkhead foam seal, then tracks down...etc. Sealing that fixed it too
Funny thing is, water often pooled up behind the dash so I got a surprise waterfall just after slamming the door Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #151535 23rd Jun 2012 12:50pm
Nick T

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
My leaks were repaired under warranty-BRILLIANT-pitty it came back with the passenger door unable to open and the gutters full of sealent Evil or Very Mad
Post #151537 23rd Jun 2012 1:13pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
ZeDefender wrote:
Just my experience:
1) when it's heavy rain the water drains down the slant on the roof forwards and into the top of the windscreen rubber, then tracks down to empty behind the dash and down onto my feet. Rolled up paper towels just below the windscreen behind the dash give the clue Wink Sealing the rubber to the frame worked.
2) When it's heavy rain and I'm driving fast, water gets driven up into the frame-to-bulkhead foam seal, then tracks down...etc. Sealing that fixed it too
Funny thing is, water often pooled up behind the dash so I got a surprise waterfall just after slamming the door Thumbs Up

Did you take part of the dash apart? mIne being LHD I see the drops coming between the bulkhead and dashboard. Only stationary........ Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #151541 23rd Jun 2012 1:54pm
ZeDefender

MK wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
Just my experience:
Funny thing is, water often pooled up behind the dash so I got a surprise waterfall just after slamming the door Thumbs Up

Did you take part of the dash apart? mIne being LHD I see the drops coming between the bulkhead and dashboard. Only stationary........

Never dismantled the dash but took off all the panels I could to get a better idea of where the wet bits were. 1) The window rubber problem became obvious due to melting roof snow and seeing water pool up on the ridge below the inside of the windscreen under the rubber seal. 2) I also managed to get my hand up behind center of the the lower dash from the pedal recess. The frame-to-bulkhead foam seal was causing all the soundproofing and padding behind the center of the dash to get wet (but dried out pretty fast as the aircon and heating both seem to heat it up). "Proved the problem" using a hosepipe directly at the foam seal and "proved the cure" using butyl tape. Now LR are going to replace the seals - hope they do a good job Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #151582 23rd Jun 2012 9:15pm
jayaway44

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Stornoway Grey
I have just had my 110 back from the dealers after a week (second time in for water ingress). One of the access points they found was water coming along and in through a hairline crack in the gutter. There fix was silicon along the gutter. I am a bit apprehensive about how long this fix will last. My question, is there any other way they could have fixed this problem that will last a lot longer?
Thanks. 2.2 2012 110 utility Orkney Grey
Also
Range Rover Evoque - Surprising but I like it.
Previous
Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Black
90 TD5
Discovery 3
Early Discovery.
Post #181307 2nd Nov 2012 2:41pm
ZeDefender

I had the start of a crack in my roof join (no leak) so the dealer here dug out all the mastic, refilled and resprayed the whole roof under warranty Shocked

I would have thought a crack in the gutter (isn't that where all the water sits Rolling Eyes ) would require something similar - perhaps without repainting the whole roof. Never been a fan of silicone, in cars or women.

Sikaflex is pretty good though (K9F will be along now - I think his browser can alert him to the word "Sikaflex" instantly Rolling with laughter

p.s. incidentally, the same dealer didn't replace the foam seal but just left my butyl all along it. I wonder if even they can't fix it... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.

Last edited by ZeDefender on 2nd Nov 2012 3:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #181311 2nd Nov 2012 3:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:

Never been a fan of silicone, in cars or women.

Shocked Shocked

ZeDefender wrote:

Sikaflex is pretty good though (K9F will be along instantly - I think his browser can alert him to the word "Sikaflex" instantly Rolling with laughter

I think he actually can. Between you and me I think he's slightly addicted to the fumes.. Whistle Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #181313 2nd Nov 2012 3:08pm
ZeDefender

Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #181315 2nd Nov 2012 3:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1