↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Intercooler advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
foxkilla wrote:
Fitted my serck intercooler and silicone hoses today, on air con puma. It took exactly 4 hours start to finish SmileWink

How is yours running after fitment?
Post #246567 25th Jun 2013 1:08pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Results were really as expected and certainly no disappointments.....

Finally got round to finishing it all off. Put toolkit in vehicle as a precaution and stayed 'local' in case of any eventualities. Bearing in mind it was 25 degrees yesterday I allowed the vehicle to get hot before heading for the dual carriageway. Even in town traffic engine temperature stayed 5-7 degrees below previous figures under load and when stationary the temperature dropped significantly quicker than previously. Uptake was quicker too where I used to perhaps change down a gear (for example up a prolonged incline) that is no longer necessary. Giving it 'the beans' temperature range remained 5-10 degrees below historical figures and dropped instantaneously when foot backed off the throttle even for a couple of seconds. Figures were monitored on a Scangauge II if anyone is remotely interested.

Adding the above figures to the few degrees lost when the cat was removed and the engine running temperature figures are quite impressive.

Worth the outlay and compliments the map perfectly in my opinion. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #247963 1st Jul 2013 10:03am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
good feedback. food for thought.

sorry i missed your De-Cat post, so that brought engine temps down too? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #248035 1st Jul 2013 3:19pm
K9F

^^^^^ Thumbs Up

Post from two and a half years ago.....

K9F wrote:
Griffin exhaust fitted today, extra torque noticeable and exhaust tone throatier especially uphill! Helped with the swap out and despite removing front crossmember and disconnecting the propshaft the cat was a complete b4st4rd to remove! Came out in one piece and have complete old exhaust system cluttering up my garage! Heat shield for turbo after removal of cat on to which it was bolted was a little insecure and rattling, quick trip to marine chandlers for a large stainless jubillee clip and a little alteration to the heatshield and it's resecured with no rattle! Job jobbed! Thumbs Up

As an addition - Did a prolonged journey and the engine runs between 6 and 9 degrees cooler! Suppose it's due to the catalytic converter that used to run cherry hot red no longer being there and the reduced back pressure!
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #248049 1st Jul 2013 3:59pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
excellent, thank you Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #248158 1st Jul 2013 9:22pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I fitted a Serck intercooler and silicone hoses from Paddocks, good quality and a good price, looks well made, the hoses look good and both seem to do a great job, took about 2/3 hours fitting, just needed a slight mod to the front spars that run at an angle in front of the intercooler, dead easy to fit. Top banana. Razz
Post #248197 1st Jul 2013 11:10pm
Defmobil

France 
Hi,

I read different discuss about intercoolers (and used the search machine), but i still wonder what is the best one (or the best for money if there is not much difference in quality).
So, should i buy a Serck, or Allisport, or Alive/Nak/chiptech one ??
Are all modeles welded? or some are simply glued ? and is that a big difference ?

Thank you for your advice
Post #250137 9th Jul 2013 7:47am
K9F

Down to personal choice. I personally decided to veer away from Allisport. Not sure what you are on about 'glued' as they're all welded or so I thought?

I am happy with the choice I made as I am sure is many others. Do you have a remap? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #250164 9th Jul 2013 9:14am
Defmobil

France 
Thanks for your reply (and excuse me for my poor english; fortunately Googl is my friend.....).

I thought that intercoolers can be fully welded, or sometimes the fins can be simply "glued".

I have no remap for the moment, but i plan to take one quickly..... 130 TD4 camper

Ex Disco 300TDI
Post #250172 9th Jul 2013 9:32am
K9F

I personally would go for the remap before a larger intercooler. I think from reports that the difference noticable from just an intercooler without a remap is negligable? Or go for both at the same time if you can afford it!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #250296 9th Jul 2013 8:14pm
Defmobil

France 
Indeed, i'll go for the remap first, and i think buying the intercooler at the same time (if i got time to mount it before going in holidays).
My def is very heavy and think interco will be a great improvement to the remap, also to lower the EGT....but the price can go from one to two and it's very difficult to really compare one to others.

I notice your choice, it seems to be great, so maybe Whistle ...... 130 TD4 camper

Ex Disco 300TDI
Post #250341 9th Jul 2013 10:13pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I'm new to landrovers, & Diesels too for that matter, but not intercoolers.
Lots of supercharging done in Aus on all sorts of engines, & of course an intercooler is an integral part of all of this, but to get the full benefit of an "upgraded" one, I would suggest that a remap would be necessary, preferably during, or as soon as possible after, fitting.
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #250354 9th Jul 2013 10:44pm
Discharge

United Arab Emirates 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alpine White
Is there any consensus on what is the 'best' intercooler? 2011 - 110 - Double-cab pick-up
Post #257897 11th Aug 2013 12:11pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
Having had both Serck and Alisport, in my opinion the Alisport fitted better, difficult to say if it performed better as i changed other things at the same time.
Post #257912 11th Aug 2013 12:44pm
K9F

Availability may be the key here perhaps? I personally despite hearing good reviews about Alisport decided to steer clear as I heard unconfirmed rumours that they were struggling to meet demand and that they were in desperate need of recruiting decent aluminium Tig welders. At the same time they pulled their E-Bay advertising. I also did a lot of research and phoning round before committing to buy the one I did!

Do a bit of digging first and see what's about! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #257924 11th Aug 2013 2:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>