↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New Clarion Head Unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lukey Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nice piece if kit. You re lucky on the iPhone front - a friend of mine has a brand new izuzu rodeo and he can't connect either an IPhone or the latest IPod. Hes locked in a battle between Clarion and Izuzu. Neither one wants to budge! Seems like Clarion don't support the latest iPod software although his is a bog standard unit and not as flash as yours. Interestingly it will play my iPod which is an old 3rd generation 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #139696 16th Apr 2012 11:51pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Camera Fitted
Thanks for the comments, really pleased with it.

Bad news about the iPhone probe Lukey Boy, Clarion technical were pretty helpful when I was pestering them, so worth persevering. Maybe there is a fix on the way if the head unit can be upgraded.

Saturday's job!

Spent a while fitting up a reverse camera to the new head unit, bit more of a job than I thought it might be!

Managed to get it done without blowing anything up which was a result. Ran the cabling through some trunking along the chassis (never realised how much stuff is under there!) As the plug was bigger than I thought I ended up having to drill a big hole to bring the cables up under the cubby box. All sealed up with a proper trunking terminator and nice and neat.

Camera fitted nicely into one of the spare holes adjacent to the towbar and gives a decent day and night picture, it's a Sony ccd bullet cam from Reversing Cameras Uk, reasonable price too. Decided against the more expensive kenwood as I didn't have a good place to mount that one. Got it wired up so I can choose when it comes on, instead of popping up every time I hit reverse.

Also fitted at last the rear mudflap support brackets, so all done for a while.

PICS

Had to take out a fair bit more of the inside than I thought!

Click image to enlarge

Cable came up under cubby box in trunking and all plugged in so can be removed if required later. Through the newly cut hole (I tidied that up with the dremel before inserting terminator)

Click image to enlarge

Quite a good picture.

Click image to enlarge

Mounted neatly in crossmember hole, (I'll probably find out what they are actually for now! camera unplugs (inside trunking) so can be removed if required

Click image to enlarge

Might even drive it tomorrow Thumbs Up

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #141048 23rd Apr 2012 9:56am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Hi Dj

Two questions, does the iphone have to be 'jailbreaked' to use with this set up (sorry, I have no clue as to what 'jailbreaking' involves Embarassed )

Secondly, why did the camera lead have to come up through the cubby box, why not bring it in through the bulkhead ?
Post #141053 23rd Apr 2012 10:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The hole is to get at the bolt that holds the fuel tank plate on. Dont think you will need that very often on a puma.
Post #141066 23rd Apr 2012 11:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d j hutton

FCX.ME.UK wrote:
Hi Dj

Two questions, does the iphone have to be 'jailbreaked' to use with this set up (sorry, I have no clue as to what 'jailbreaking' involves Embarassed )

Secondly, why did the camera lead have to come up through the cubby box, why not bring it in through the bulkhead ?

If you want to view any apps on the head unit from the iPhone then the answer is yes - it needs to be jailbroken along with a few other bits (I posted about this a while ago www.defender2.net/forum/topic11498.html)

So for Memory Map, Youtube , TV etc you do need it jailbroken, for 'standard' viewing of iPod/iphone videos and music - no you just need the correct lead (any iPhone video out lead seems to work ok)

I did want to bring the cable in through the bulkhead, but it had a 16mm plug on one end and three moulded plugs on the other and I couldn't see a grommet it would fit through, so after a lot of head scratching I decided that would be the best route for me, as it didn't involve taking all the dash out again (I had previously prepared the cables for the head unit so they were accessible in the drivers footwell area and long enough to get to the cubby box area) and it means that if there is ever a camera failure its easy to slot a new one in. (that's my theory anyway!)

Zinke - thought it looked like a tank cover, so as you say hopefully I won't need to get at that in a hurry.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #141069 23rd Apr 2012 12:20pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thank you DJ, very informative Bow down
Post #141072 23rd Apr 2012 12:27pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Just reviewing as I need a unit in my vehicle and it seems this model may have been superceded by the NZ502E - Single Motorised DIN CD/DVD Navigation.

Just wondering if the OP could update his experiences with it 6 plus months in. Particularly interested to hear about the sat nav and whether it takes 7 digit UK postcodes, is able to reconfigure routes on the fly and whether the base maps are accurate/show recent road changes.
Post #177373 20th Oct 2012 9:50am
d j hutton

Supacat wrote:
Just reviewing as I need a unit in my vehicle and it seems this model may have been superceded by the NZ502E - Single Motorised DIN CD/DVD Navigation.

Just wondering if the OP could update his experiences with it 6 plus months in. Particularly interested to hear about the sat nav and whether it takes 7 digit UK postcodes, is able to reconfigure routes on the fly and whether the base maps are accurate/show recent road changes.

Sat nav is spot on, as good as my old TomTom and Navman models. Local roads that were wrong on tt are correct. Yes all postcodes work nicely. Did get a dodgy direction whilst towing the tintent for the first time, which took us ap a steep narrow road, but I realised I had it on ,shortest, route - duh! When towing I use the ,bus, routing option now which has been faultless. Recalculating when you know a better route works well, your passenger can enter information when driving, but only if you have connected it up "incorrectly"

Bluetooth phone works very nicely with my iPhone 3GS as well as memory map and other iPhone program's (need a cable and jail broken phone for that though)

Way better than the offering in my d3 which looked very poor and would only send you back to the original route rather than recalculating (until you we're miles off course and then it kicked in)

All in all a great unit for a good price and if you can pick one up for a bargainer ice, there doesn't appear to be any difference from the latest one except the number.

Reverse camera works well except I haven't got it in the best place now I have a tin tent (misses the car tow ball) so I need to alter the angle a bit.

Quite a bit cheaper than some other brands with a more up to date interface and everything in one box, sat nav, Bluetooth etc rather than lots of add ons that you have find room for.

You won't be disappointed if you get one

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #177379 20th Oct 2012 10:16am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Dj - thanks for the full reply...looking around at the moment this seems to tick all the boxes...just need to see who's selling it at the best price!

One further question - is there a separate GPS receiver you need to plug in to the head unit or is it built in as well? Just slightly worried a built in version within a metal case may have issues with aquiring a signal or dropping it at inconvenient times.
Post #177387 20th Oct 2012 10:46am
d j hutton

Yes it's a small box (match box size) I have fitted mine on top of the dash, plenty of cable. Not lost GPS so far , so seems pretty good.

Forgot to mention that its also got free traffic information which comes on when they have something to say. A couple of aux inputs as well and separate channel for rear/alternate screens/speakers if you have kids in the ba k.

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #177407 20th Oct 2012 12:19pm
dorgmal

England 
Hi this is my first ever post so forgive any mistakes.... I have just installed the same head unit in my new double cab and its pretty dammed good... but wanted to pick anyones brain about the reversing camera..

please bare in mind I am a complete NOVICE Big Cry
so I installed the camera taking the fed from the reversing lights and the (-) from there to..

all works magic.. rather pleased with myself.... but on the head unit you have to select the camera.. when you pop it in reverse it does not automatically pop up... in the manual (which is only a few pages shorter than War and Peace) it say it will...

What and I doing wrong? Shocked

any help or insults would be s
ooooo welcome
Post #701035 15th Apr 2018 4:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
There maybe a manual or auto turn on setting on there somewhere.
Also, there is likely a purple reverse wire tail on the connector harness that picks up the signal to turn on the HU rear cam.
This if present you’ll need to look it up, but my guess is it’s not connected hence manual turn on selection.

It may have auto AV detect settings though! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #701042 15th Apr 2018 5:01pm
dorgmal

England 
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ahhh thanks Steve.... it took me ages ramming all those wires into the dash... this is a pick of the back of the head unit... theres no auto select in the settings which is a bummer... I take it I have to some how let the head unit know I am in reverse.. so I have to take a wire thingy from the head unit to the gearbox thingy.. sorry for the my poor use of technical terms...

this is a pic of all the pretty wire and what they do...

Click image to enlarge

I have sooooo much to learn
Post #701046 15th Apr 2018 5:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The wire in question if present wouldn't be on that diagram, it would be on page 62 as stated on that info sheet.
They are typically present with the primary power feeds and audio out feeds, inc blue remote 12v.

Most are normally ISO colour coded, and I think it's likely it will be purple. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #701050 15th Apr 2018 5:27pm
dorgmal

England 
AHHHHHH i see so I am totally looking at the wrong set of cables (Did say I was a total novice)... right... attached another pic
and I can see the wire you are referring to... so I have to attach that to....... the gearbox? Rolling Eyes some how...

by the way Steve... I really appreciate your help... Bow down

Click image to enlarge
Post #701059 15th Apr 2018 5:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>