Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Suspension Advice Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TD5_90

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Suspension Advice Please
Hi

I have a TD5 90 CSW to which I have fitted Britpart yellow HD rear springs - what would be the best setup to compliment these as and when I need to replace the rest of the suspension parts i.e. Rear shocks, Front springs and shocks.?

I seem to recall some good advice on the forum re spring / shock set up - I have had a search but can't find the info I thought I could remember - so apologies in advance for any repetition.

Many thanks
Richard
Post #139199 14th Apr 2012 2:40pm
Projectblue

England 
Are you carrying any weight, or did you just want a bit of lift? HD springs are good for adding about 1" if there's no load on. 90 isn't as bad as a 110 for bounce when empty. Also keep an eye on your tyre pressures, don't run them too high if there's no weight in it.

If you are running a big winch bumper and winch on the front, you want to invest in better springs. Because the weight is slung in front of your axle, it affects your handling so don't compromise. I've heard good things about Flat Dog, but there's Terrafirma and of course OME (Old Man Emu). Depending on the set up you are after, depends on the shocks you fit. Talk to the sellers and listen to what they say.

Once you have all that info you can make sensible purchase, but my best advice would be don't skimp, buy quality and you'll only have to buy once Thumbs Up
Post #139212 14th Apr 2012 3:46pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I think it depends on where you a going with your vehicle. I have been down the seriously modified route in years past.

I can highly recommend ome suspension, orange polybush kit, Gwyn Lewis suspension mounts (extreme kit). This assumes you want to have a lift and 11" suspension travel drop out, powerful winch / competition bumper, bonnet mounted spare, auto gearbox etc.

On my TD5 I am not going down this route - mainly as its not for that kinda use, but for work for now at least.
Your best bet is to decide what you want to do with yours, fix a budget and buy some magazines, join a local LR club and get into the scene. But do fix a budget - you can easily end up spending 1000's very easily on crap you will probably never use, unless you can afford to Very Happy

Britpart is cheap, and you pay for what you get. (Got a set of 4 Britpart shocks the other day for £40 for td5) 1 ome Shock is about £180 !!

If you do lift the rear end more than 1" I would recommend cranked radius arms.

If you do a search for 'suspension' I think it gives lots of info - on google try 'TD5 Suspension modification forum'

Peter
Post #139310 15th Apr 2012 12:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
On my last 90 I removed the 2" lift it cam with and went for Britpart HD standard springs and gas shocks all round.

It sat perfectly level and had a much better ride - I'd do the same again next time. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #139561 16th Apr 2012 2:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TD5_90

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Thanks for your input so far.

I'm not looking to lift it particularly: I've put the HD springs on the back as I carry weight and the old ones were sagging. Now it sits nice but I want to be able to have good ride quality as well.

JSG - what make gas shocks did you use? Britpart also?

Projectblue - interesting you mentioned tyre pressures, with the new HD springs it feels like I can notice the tyres more now - I have Cooper STT 285 75 16. What pressures do you run at?

Thanks
Post #139928 17th Apr 2012 8:28pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes the shocks were Britpart as well. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #139939 17th Apr 2012 9:01pm
Projectblue

England 
Depends on what I was doing but 80% of time it was empty & traile so ran 32 front 38 rear if I remember correctly. Try some different settings as the front feel will vary.
Post #139995 17th Apr 2012 11:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1