Home > General & Technical (L663) > DC100 to become entry level Land Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cradgebank

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
DC100 to become entry level Land Rover
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/262062/

According to Autocar, the DC100 is set to become Land Rovers entry level model, so I presume another Defender replacement concept is being developed ?. Richard

Either a 90, 110 or 130.
Discovery 5
Post #137558 7th Apr 2012 3:22am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Now to me that would make sense a DC100 as the mini of the range and a new Utility Defender.

I have said before I would buy a DC100 if it was under £25k (and Id got the money) as my every day car and keep the Defender as my toy.

Perhaps everyone will be happy DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #137563 7th Apr 2012 7:39am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I wonder if Tata will glue it together?
Sorry, couldn't resist Whistle

Will be interesting to see what LR's target group is. It doesn't look very serious yet... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #137565 7th Apr 2012 8:01am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The autocar article states there could be a "cheap" utility dc100 based on a gaylander / evoque so Haldex 2wd/4wd and 2.2L 180 hp.....nice!

Or / and a more upmarket...ie discovery style dc with separate chassis

So i expect and wash out able 100" gaylander based dc100 first. It'll sell well IMHO
Post #137598 7th Apr 2012 10:16am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
"reaction to it [DC100] in its present state has been so overwhelmingly positive"

Thumbs Up
Post #137614 7th Apr 2012 11:56am
mikelike

I say build it on the freelander chassis cause it looks like one now , then it could be in production in no time . Will appeal to the urban set , alot of girls and hairdressers like the Toyota Rav , and be profitable , leading to more money for a defender replacement . The new Defender would be based on a longer wheel base and have a command view driving position and good ground clearance . Just hope it arrives from India in a better state than the tata powered/built Censored Rover did a couple of years back ops I mean Tata indica/city rover Embarassed Embarassed
Post #137731 7th Apr 2012 10:22pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
"but reaction to it in its present state has been so overwhelmingly positive " Shocked

"Public and press reaction to the DC100 concept — originally styled as live research into the possible form of the all-new Defender family — is thought to have been very enthusiastic at last year’s Frankfurt debut and at Los Angeles and Tokyo before Christmas" Rolling with laughter

"Land Rover is also planning to inject more desirability into the design of the leisure models, which are more utility-focused than the Range Rovers, using sportiness, more arresting styling and more car-like interiors. “We want them to be more exciting than they are at the moment,” said design chief Gerry McGovern." Thud

more car-like interiors? WTF ?!!!!

It seems to me that these new "bosses" in front of Land Rover are killing Land Rover! Land Rover as we know it is about to end...Any resemblance between Land Rover today and Land Rover in a few yars will be a mere coincidence!
I believe that Land Rover is moving away from the 4x4 market....going it to the SUV leisure market...leaving it to Toyota and Nissan.... Neutral Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #138018 9th Apr 2012 10:30am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
lrmaniac wrote:
"but reaction to it in its present state has been so overwhelmingly positive " Shocked

"Public and press reaction to the DC100 concept — originally styled as live research into the possible form of the all-new Defender family — is thought to have been very enthusiastic at last year’s Frankfurt debut and at Los Angeles and Tokyo before Christmas" Rolling with laughter

"Land Rover is also planning to inject more desirability into the design of the leisure models, which are more utility-focused than the Range Rovers, using sportiness, more arresting styling and more car-like interiors. “We want them to be more exciting than they are at the moment,” said design chief Gerry McGovern." Thud

more car-like interiors? WTF ?!!!!

It seems to me that these new "bosses" in front of Land Rover are killing Land Rover! Land Rover as we know it is about to end...Any resemblance between Land Rover today and Land Rover in a few yars will be a mere coincidence!
I believe that Land Rover is moving away from the 4x4 market....going it to the SUV leisure market...leaving it to Toyota and Nissan.... Neutral

well im planning on keeping the 110 a while.
Post #138021 9th Apr 2012 10:48am
ZeDefender

I believe that's exactly what they're doing but hasn't it been on the cards for years? As soon as the Freelander appeared, I felt the winds of change begin to blow. The RR Sport confirmed my fears and then the Evoque was the last nail in the coffin Sad

If this f*cked up world we live in really wants yet more shiny plastic SUVs then any sensible company will give it to them, LR-India are no exception.

The thing to remember is that even if LR talk about "replacing" the Defender design with the DC100, it's just publicity and trying to get Kudos. Even an idiot will see that they're not. The Defender (I still just call them "Land Rovers") design is iconic and will never die. Moreover, LR can never "replace" the Defenders we own so there's no point in getting hot and sweaty (unless you're Olivia Wilde Whistle ). LR don't really show much interest in present Defender owners (especially when it comes to warranty issues) and I don't believe we are their target market any more.

It's a shame the Defender can't go on forever... but then neither can we. Enjoy it while you can Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #138055 9th Apr 2012 12:22pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
T1G UP wrote:
well i'm planning on keeping the 110 a while.

Absolutely and get the value out of it, mine is for life, it will be running around with solar panels on the roof and batteries in the back Laughing (It's already been done!) when fuel runs out and when funds permit i will be stocking up on parts to keep her going Wink They will never produce a vehicle so versatile for my needs with the make up to keep it running, e.g. swap panels if damaged. Get a big clout in a monocoque and it's toast!
Post #138058 9th Apr 2012 12:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Seconded Thumbs Up

p.s. should always be able to find some vegetable oil fuel to use Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #138059 9th Apr 2012 12:34pm
pannawonica

Australia 
Put a 2.8 TGV in into 110 and those things nearly run on neat alcohol Laughing Maybe not such a good idea, evan if oil does run out. Rolling with laughter
Post #138267 10th Apr 2012 2:27pm
pom

I think the dc100 could cause a problem for the defenders, IF it is successful like the disco3 was over the disco2 then expect some serious pain on the residuals front. Who would want a tractor when you can have a proper motor ? The arse will fall out of the defender market, certainly the nearly new, ones.

Don't think I'd roll the dice on ordering the last of the Puma's.

Pom
Post #138290 10th Apr 2012 5:03pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
that could work either way dc100 is totally different and I think there will always be a market for a good condition defender DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy

Last edited by LR90XS2011 on 11th Apr 2012 6:10am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #138291 10th Apr 2012 5:07pm
ZeDefender

I really don't think a Defender and a DC100 will be comparable...

What effect did each Disco have on the Defender market? I've no idea Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #138296 10th Apr 2012 5:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>