↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Pics not suitable viewing for the flat Earthers
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
RobKeay wrote:
Same thing is going on over at the range rover forum with the advent of the new model to be launch in a few months.

How many have read the autocar article before ranting and raving on here. It's interesting to look at all the variants and the promise of more. But guess some people just look at a pic and go off on one.

For some the design and look of something is very emotive to the point where you will buy an inferior product because it looks nicer. It's like comparing double glazing to beautiful hard wood windows! The looks of the Defender gives me at least 50% of my owner satisfaction and pride in the product. I could have bought an arguable better new Toyota but think they look horrible, have no soul and are in the double glazing category.

I get a lot of satisfaction from the "look" of things but get equally riled when i see something that is just an abortion of design. I sometimes wish I could just go out and buy a UPVC front door and not be bothered by it, it would be cheaper than a lovely weathered old oak one!

Think Bentley Blower, think Aston Martin Zagato, Jaguar XK120, a utilitarian classic Defender, Maserati Ghibli, a a Nicholson yacht, a Ducatti etc , anything with good cohesive design that stands the test of time.

There is no arguing that the DC100 just doesn't come anywhere close to it. For the first time in 60 years an opportunity to design something breathtaking, and staggeringly impressive has been waisted. Instead they have gone down the easy mediocre route which any one of us could have knocked up in an afternoon on paper Rolling Eyes If the Discovery had been designed to take over the Defender I would have been happy with that - It's a bloody good looking motor, so was the RR Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Zagato on 6th Apr 2012 9:39am. Edited 5 times in total
Post #137390 6th Apr 2012 9:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
[quote="22900013A"]
discocuzzy wrote:

Its spelled Knob. You knob. And your should be you're.

The Apostrophe is a tricky little devil....

Its or It's ? The latter I believe.... Whistle Whistle xx

But yeah. Name calling is just rude. Thumbs Up
Post #137393 6th Apr 2012 9:26am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
[quote="Pam W"]
22900013A wrote:
discocuzzy wrote:

Its spelled Knob. You knob. And your should be you're.

The Apostrophe is a tricky little devil....

Its or It's ? The latter I believe.... Whistle Whistle xx

But yeah. Name calling is just rude. Thumbs Up

Indeed it is, but I feel one should give as good as one gets! And your right I did miss and apostrophe. Wink
Post #137394 6th Apr 2012 9:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:
BigMike wrote:
I think Andrew said flat earthers need not apply.

Trust me, all you whingers will be having one eventually, I guarantee it.

I most certainly will not be buying one, EVER.

As Andrew said, flatearthers need not apply Laughing
Post #137395 6th Apr 2012 9:32am
22900013A

BigMike wrote:
22900013A wrote:
BigMike wrote:
I think Andrew said flat earthers need not apply.

Trust me, all you whingers will be having one eventually, I guarantee it.

I most certainly will not be buying one, EVER.

As Andrew said, flatearthers need not apply Laughing

Nothing like stifling debate...
Post #137398 6th Apr 2012 9:43am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
It's not a debate. All you do is say it's awful and how you won't be buying one, where's the debate there? You've been whining on about it for months, we all know you don't like it. So don't buy one, but quit with the negative moaning. There's no doubt this vehicle will be a success, and to be honest, it's not aimed at you anyway. From what I read on the forum, you're not really using it for its intended purpose anyway (like many I guess). So leave it to the rest of us who like it and can't wait to try one, and STOP MOANING about it!
Post #137401 6th Apr 2012 9:48am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
22900013A wrote:
chiefstoker wrote:
I'm bored of the DC100 already,

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it too.

Well why don't you shut the Censored up about it and let others who are interested in the vehicle discuss it instead of hijacking every post relevant to it. Ranting on about the bloody thing as if its the be all and end all. Clearly you like your old vehicles (google 22900013A) and there is nothing wrong with that BTW.

As said before Land Rover are a company and have to keep producing vehicles that will sell, they will create a market for the DC100 and I bet it will out sell anything else they have ever made. On a accountancy commercial basis why would any company give a Shiite about anything once its out of warranty, they would want people to simply buy another.

I am concerned as to what will replace the Defender, I own 2 130's that work for a living and at the moment I am not sure what will be available to replace these vehicles when the time comes. I don't rant on about how land rover are abandoning a 60 year old idea. In fact I cant wait to buy the biggest DC100 they make and then take it appart and re build it to my own requirements.

FFS I only put some pics up in one gallery for those who are interested.

Oh and just to clarify Martin created this site for the New Defender Replacement that was to be released in 2012, as it happens that vehicle is still on the drawing board, in the interim Land Rover are keeping the current model alive for as long as possible and this is why we are all here discussing the 'Oh Censored what are we going to do? I know lets throw a Ford engine in and change the dash that should buy us some time Puma' and its issues.

Oh and other models Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile

Last edited by AndrewS on 6th Apr 2012 9:54am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #137402 6th Apr 2012 9:53am
pom

It's growing on me a bit. As long as they do a commerical auto 7 seater in leather to keep the tax man happy I'm gonna bag one.

Then again, will it be more weedy and smaller than the 3L disco in which case it will be a downgrade and maybe not so interested. If they put the rangie TDV8 into it I'll put a deposit down now, if as I suspect they put in the tiny little Honda Love engine used in the gaylander then its a dealbreaker.

More info needed really.

Pom
Post #137403 6th Apr 2012 9:53am
22900013A

Gentlemen (and ladies),
As an owner of a new(ish) Defender I would have considered I would have a right to an opinion on its replacement ,especially as we were looking forward to buying many more in the future, as evidently i do not have such a right, and have been met with abusive and attacking posts towards me, I shall have to bid you goodbye. How I use my Defender is upto me, and my interest in older Landrovers is irrelevent to the issue.

Adieu!
Post #137423 6th Apr 2012 12:29pm
claudiap

United Kingdom 
discocuzzy wrote:
You forgot the hi vis jacket and bush hat as well Andrew.......22222223333346663332222777999900888777666444322 or whatever your name is...your a nob Thumbs Up

I think this is totally uncalled for. What right do you have to start insulting people because they have an opinion? He bought a Defender, therefore he is entitled to have an opinion about something that it is supposed to replace Defenders. Now coming here and using that type of language is totally unacceptable. In order for a discussion to proceed, you have to have people who like it and people who don't. I don't think that the best way to settle this is by being aggressive, like you have been. At the end of the day, we are all consumers and, like it or not, we can all provide some feedback about a product. Positive or negative!!!
Post #137443 6th Apr 2012 3:43pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Woah! I should run for it lads, playtime over, 22900013A's girl is on the case AND she's got the Portuguese temper to go with it Shocked Err bet she looks even more attractive when she's angry though Whistle (do you think that worked, probably not, I'm off Bow down Laughing)
Post #137447 6th Apr 2012 3:58pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
You see this is what's wrong with modern society. Apparently everyone is entitled to have an opinion, even when that opinion wasn't requested, is totally invalid and born of outright prejudice towards something they simply don't like.

I'm with Andrew; I can't wait to test drive one of these things. If you Luddites want to bemoan the fact that landrover is abandoning its roots then so be it, but get with the program, it's a business, not your special hobby company. If you want to dwell in the past and smoke a pipe, wear grubby blue overalls, hobnail boots and talk like Fred Dibnah, buy a bloody steam engine and leave those of us who are interested in it in peace.

Oh, and by the way, those of you doing the whining, how many of you actually use the vehicle for its intended purpose? Too often on here are little girls crying about a scratch because they've managed to kiss a bramble on the way past. It's a utility vehicle designed to go offroad. Some of you should just buy a bloody Volvo and go to center parcs and stop pretending you're Bear Grylls or Ray Mears at the weekend. Rant over.
Post #137476 6th Apr 2012 5:47pm
claudiap

United Kingdom 
Forum -
a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.
2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

So what is the point of being in this forum if we are not entitled to an opinion? A bit of a fascist attitude you are having. The whole point of the DC100 was to inspire debate and discussion. Land Rover wants to know what people want and like.

"Some of you should just buy a bloody Volvo and go to center parcs and stop pretending you're Bear Grylls or Ray Mears at the weekend." And what is this all about?! Do you have any prejudice against people who buy Volvos? Name calling is just the last refuge of someone without an argument. If you like the DC100, great! I am happy for you. But you must accept that there are people who don't like it for a multitude of reasons, none of which mean that deserve to be insulted, abused or endure foul language.

BigMike wrote:
You see this is what's wrong with modern society. Apparently everyone is entitled to have an opinion, even when that opinion wasn't requested, is totally invalid and born of outright prejudice towards something they simply don't like.

I'm with Andrew; I can't wait to test drive one of these things. If you Luddites want to bemoan the fact that landrover is abandoning its roots then so be it, but get with the program, it's a business, not your special hobby company. If you want to dwell in the past and smoke a pipe, wear grubby blue overalls, hobnail boots and talk like Fred Dibnah, buy a bloody steam engine and leave those of us who are interested in it in peace.

Oh, and by the way, those of you doing the whining, how many of you actually use the vehicle for its intended purpose? Too often on here are little girls crying about a scratch because they've managed to kiss a bramble on the way past. It's a utility vehicle designed to go offroad. Some of you should just buy a bloody Volvo and go to center parcs and stop pretending you're Bear Grylls or Ray Mears at the weekend. Rant over.
Post #137486 6th Apr 2012 6:31pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Guys, keep it civil please - it's important to acknowledge opposing views, but don't let those who don't agree rattle or. Similarly, don't post just to extract a response.

The is the separate DC100 area, if you don't wish to comment about it you don't have to.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #137487 6th Apr 2012 6:39pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
My 2 peneth

I agree with the fact that a forum is a forum and should be open to all Thumbs Up , however this area on this site is specific to the DC100 for those that are interested in the vehicle. I clearly stated it was not suitable viewing for those that are not interested.

OH I put quite a few pics up of the vehicle (and it took me ages BTW) and Martin had to give me extra space Bow down Thumbs Up Martin.

anyway
Then when someone hijacks the thread and starts winging about the vehicle and bleats on and on about this and that well one thinks why the Censored should I bother when all you get is winge winge winge. We know you don't like it so let those that do have a proper chat about it.

It makes me wonder how many people are out there that want to say "well actually I like it" but are put off by the 'down your throat its Censored ' posts.

Its got to a point where, I'm now thinking what's the point starting a thread about the vehicle because all that will happen is someone will jump on the thread and start the same old shiite.
And there is the problem all those that have said oooooo its a forum you should allow people to have their opinions yet our opinions (the + for the DC100) just get slated by the woollys.

Bored now 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #137500 6th Apr 2012 8:03pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>