↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.2 Turbo Hose
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
So this also happened to me. Several times over the last few days, existing hose does not fit well and will not remain in position long enough for the clip to be tightened.

I previously asked the dealer on two occasions to sort this and needless to say they did nothing and said "Everything is now working fine sir".

I see that there is a replacement hose from LR, but would rather walk over hot coals than take my vehicle back to the dealer again. Is there a better aftermarket solution? Or is it best to buy a new one of the old style hoses and use a Mikalor clip to hold it in place?
Post #279083 3rd Nov 2013 1:12pm
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Idea Do none of the nice companies on here offer an aftermarket performance replacement hose Question
Post #279361 4th Nov 2013 2:03pm
Inigo

Ah, just noticed that BAS do a hose set for this. I somehow thought that it was only for the hose from air filter to turbo.

Ordered.
Post #279374 4th Nov 2013 3:10pm
Inigo

And received - that was quick.

They look very substantial - much better than the flimsy Land Rover original. Hopefully this should stay in place once fitted.
Post #280001 6th Nov 2013 10:59am
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Any chance of a picture please?

Thanks M 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)
Post #280079 6th Nov 2013 4:42pm
Inigo

Click image to enlarge

Much more substantial than the flimsy thing that I have had to reconnect many times. When I get to replace it, I'll take a photo of the two side by side.

It also came with two other hoses for other connections to the intercoller that I might also use depending on how lazy I am/ easy it is to change these. I haven't heard of the others popping off.
Post #280219 6th Nov 2013 10:49pm
Inigo

Did this today - pig of a job. Access is tricky - first instruction from the workshop manual is "drain and store refrigerant from AC". I cannot do this, nor refill later so had to spend all day working around a very inconvenient AC line that then didn't allow air filter box to be removed. Also, the new silicone hoses are thicker than the old rubber ones and the Mikalor clamps I used are larger than the old jubilee clips, so even trickier to refit than removing the rubber ones.
Hers is a comparison shot of the original and BAS hoses side by side:

Click image to enlarge

Here is the new silicone turbo hose fitting snugly all the way on to the turbo outlet as it should:

Click image to enlarge

Only problem now is I get a whistling at higher revs. Not sure if this is an air leak when the turbo engages or something rubbing on the belt when the engine moves under load.

Looking forward to taking it all apart and doing it again.
Post #283080 17th Nov 2013 9:50pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Nice pictures Thumbs Up

Make sure your steel pipe is well clear of the pully on the engine. If you do have the tools to take of the viscous fan it helps in letting you get your hands down to the turbo side intercooler pipe.

Regards Pete
Post #283099 17th Nov 2013 11:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Inigo

Hello Pete

Ah, just bought myself a viscous fan spanner to replace the dodgy one on my V8. Didn't think about removing it on the Puma. Might give me a little more flexibility to bend the plastic shrouds around a bit.
Post #283110 18th Nov 2013 12:27am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
once removed it allows you to hold bach the plastic fan cowle which gives you a little more room.
Post #283140 18th Nov 2013 9:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GEllis

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
My two month old 2.2 UTSW that's only done 2.5k miles split a hose last night. Off to the dealers this morning who to be fair gave first class service. Straight into the garage on the ramps fault spotted demo defender provided for my use and promise to have the faulty part sorted by Thursday.

Should not have been a surprise as we have other 2.2tdci's and they have all done the same!

A little unfortunate it happened this week I rely on these vehicles for my business and can't afford to have them off the road when the weather is bad - Bad weather for us = demand in services.
Post #305317 5th Feb 2014 4:18pm
canterkid

Twisted Evil FIRST TIME TOWING TRAILER WITH 2.2 DEFENDER , O.K ON UNLADEN TRIP ,BUT ON RETURN JOURNEY WITH LOAD AND A TOWING WEIGHT OF APPROX 2.5 TONS AND ONLY HAVING TRAVELLED ABOUT 11 MILES YES ONCE AGAIN TURBO PIPE SPLIT ! L/R ASSIST CALLED OUT TOO FIX ,HE SAID THE PROBLEM IS THAT PIPE HAD NOT BEEN FITTED CORRECTLEY BY DEALER THE WHITE MARK ON PIPE SHOULD BE IN LINE WITH THE WHITE MARK ON INTERCOOLER FITTING,SO THAT IT IS LESS STRESSED.THIS IS NOW THE 3RD TIME THAT PIPE HAS SPLIT OR CAME OFF ALL THIS IN LESS THAN 1500 MILES,NENER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ORIGINAL FACTORY FITTED PIPE,PROBLEMS ONLY OCCURED AFTER RECALL. GOING IN TO DEALERS ON WED TO HAVE A NEW PIPE FITTED AGAIN, AS L/R CHAP MADE A GOOD TEMPOARY REPAIR THAT GOT ME HOME STILL TOWING TRAILER. FOUND DEALERS UNHELPFUL ON PHONE TRYING TOO SAY THAT IF THIS WAS NOT A WARRENTY JOB I WOULD BE CHARGED,THEY MUST THINK I WAS BORN YESTERDAY Evil or Very Mad
Post #306382 8th Feb 2014 10:08pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Why the 'shouting?' Makes it more difficult to read too! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #306450 9th Feb 2014 8:37am
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
sib wrote:
Anyone know what size Mikalor clips it needs ?

I'd like to know this too. I am replacing all the pipes for BAS blue silicone hoses (including the new Airbox to Turbo hose). What size Mikalor clips do I need?
Post #616278 12th Apr 2017 11:30am
2hooky

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Firenze Red
hi there,
I went through around 3 lots of hoses and it seems LR modified them during the periods. However, the problem in the end was a split intercooler - not sure if anyone else suffered this?
Post #620127 28th Apr 2017 10:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>