↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Carpets V No Carpets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Carpets V No Carpets
I get the Argument for no carpets in the defender. But is the non carpeted 110 Station Wagon noisier to drive than a carpeted one, or do they contain the same level of insulation/sound deadening underneath the mats
Post #319311 26th Mar 2014 9:39pm
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Mine came with no carpets my13 , just the tin . I'm sure with the carpet option you do not get underlay Very Happy
Post #319312 26th Mar 2014 9:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
About the same I'd have though noise suppression wise.
All down to personal preference really IMO vs. practicality and your intended use. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #319313 26th Mar 2014 9:43pm
adamatdraycott

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
A non carpet truck has no covering in the rear except a thin rubber mat in between the wheel arches; it is simply a painted arch. In the front the foot well and seat box is lined with 2mm thick semi ridged matting, that sits directly on the floor.

The carpet covers both the boot floor and arches, adding protection. The carpet is fairly thick, backed with a soft non slip rubber. In the front you have a covering over the seat box and foot well, with tailored removable mats. Some pieces are easily removed, others less so.

I would say carpet makes a slight difference when driving in wet conditions, but makes little difference to the gun shot sound when a pebble hits the arch! I would spec carpet if it's a daily... I did and impressed with the fit
Post #319319 26th Mar 2014 9:51pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Thinking of getting a used one which doesn't have carpets and I'm worried it might feel a lot more utilitarian (than it already does with them) as a result.
Can you retro fit a carpet set? Anyone done it?
Post #319374 26th Mar 2014 11:10pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Depends if you use your defender for work, then carpets are stupid they just get wet dirty and smell. I am fitting the dyamat stuff for sound proofing. Since picking mine up five people have said "that's good no carpets" which had surprised me. You get a vinyl type flooring, which is easy to clean.

If the defender is just used as a car carpets help with sound proofing and temperature.

So I'd say it depends on the use of the defender.
Post #319381 26th Mar 2014 11:29pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
It'll be used like a car
Post #319384 26th Mar 2014 11:33pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I think csk does carpet set. Also they come up on eBay. Also Exmoor trim.
Post #319388 26th Mar 2014 11:46pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Csk just brought carpets from main dealer and removed his vinyl floor as carpets are only sold as an extra now. Think he paid about 100 a piece.

I'm just about to remove my carpets and fit Wright off road sound mat. Best of both worlds to me. Quietest and easy clean.

Andy
Post #319389 26th Mar 2014 11:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If it's a road driver only and no dogs then carpet.
Possibility of mud very wet areas dogs, kids etc the. Think about rubber.
Complete personal choice though. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #319392 26th Mar 2014 11:58pm
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I can confirm that carpets are excellent for making sure that all the rainwater that gets in stays in.

They seem to help make ideal conditions for the moss that starts growing on the window seals. 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #319393 26th Mar 2014 11:58pm
jimbob7

Another vote fer vinyl,fer no other reason than its easy to dry out....drying out is important inna Defender Rolling Eyes.As fer sound insulation you can easily add extra underneath like I did.I also use car mats on top coz the vinyl does wear out. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #319398 27th Mar 2014 12:11am
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
timbar wrote:
I can confirm that carpets are excellent for making sure that all the rainwater that gets in stays in.
Laughing Yep! And in my Defender there's plenty of rainwater that gets in to the driver's footwell somehow. The bleedin' carpet is permanently saturated and most likely causing a whole load of condensation on the inside of my windows every morning, however it seems to be rot proof and has avoided any moss growing so far. I lifted it all out once to dry it out when we had that spell of good weather a short while ago and there is a lovely shade of orange from the metal footwell which is oxidising very nicely indeed. Mad
Post #319399 27th Mar 2014 12:12am
Matthew_Mills

England 
I've owned both carpeted XS 90 and the current spec no carpet XS 110 CSWs... No carpet is great, full of mud last weekend no hesitation with the hose inside! Would not have done that with carpets!

BUT, as an example the box section below the front seats is completely un covered in front of the second row seats... And therefore the kids rest their feet on the bare paint, scuff it getting in and out... Looks crap already so not happy... Carpeted version covers all these bits...

Standard LR tow strop comes with a Velcro strip on the bag so that it stays put on carpet, now it slides around sat on the rear wheel box sections.... I'm seriously thinking of going back to carpet via an Exmoor Trim carpet set...

Horses for courses!

Matt
Post #319409 27th Mar 2014 2:07am
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
The 90 I just bought from csk had carpets in the front and I wanted rubber flooring so he swapped it over while I was there. with the seats out it took 15-20 minutes to swap over.
The Rubber is much more practical for me. I cant say about the noise as its all sound proofed underneath, but hasn't made a difference I can hear. All I can say though was swapping it over looked an easy process which im sure would be easy to do yourself (might take longer as remember Chris does it all the time) Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #319416 27th Mar 2014 7:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>